Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdo,
I'm new to biking. Passed my test in June this year, I'm 40 mid life crisis etc. Anyway I bought myself a spangly GSXF650f its great but after some browsing for a 'winter' bike I set my heart on a Dominator.
I bought one this week but have a few questions if I may? Id like to fit some heated grips first off but I'm far from handy with that kind of thing. Just wondered if you guys could give me some pointers.
Ive never used a choke or a reserve fuel tank or an idle screw. #ashamedface.

Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Howdo Vince. Oxford hot grips are pretty good. YouTube is your friend for fitting guides, wiring and so on. Best to wire in to a switched feed (so you don't kill your battery by leaving the grips on overnight ) and use a relay. Choke is for cold starting, it changes the fuel-air mixture temporarily. Should only need it on for five minutes until the engine warms up.

The Dommie has no fuel gauge or warning light, so the reserve gets you to a fuel station. When the bike starts to stutter, switch to reserve and go for fuel. It's a skill to learn to do this without stopping! Refill with the tap set to ON, not Reserve. Setting the tap to OFF a quarter of a mile from home means fresh fuel into the carb next time you start up which makes cold starting easier.

Never touched my idle screw.

Lots of knowledgeable and experienced people on this forum so just ask. No such thing as a stupid question !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Welcome to the zone Vincent..
Great choice for a winter bike..
A brand new battery wouldnt go amiss now that the winter months are upon us.
I just put one on mine and it makes starting much easier.
You are perfectly situated if you decide to try a bit of off road fun...
Good luck with it, they grow on you pretty quickly.:thumbup:

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Welcome to the forum

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Many thanks for the kind welcome chaps. Can I ask who do you guys use for insurance for your Dommies? Am I right saying they qualify for classic insurance?
Incidentally, it's got a new battery which hopefully serves me well over winter. Do you use a battery optimiser? With the best will in the world I wont be commuting on it so wanted to keep it ticking over.
I can't wait till it gets here...

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
welcome along your going to love this forum sound bunch of blokes :thumbleft::thumbleft: if a bike is going into hibernation I take the battery into the house and give it the trickle charger a go every 3 weeks or so over night . if it turns artic I will bring the battery in out of my work horse Transalp . I hadn't ridden it for a few weeks that I can remember I was on the other bike . so it only just started a couple of nights ago so I stuck the charger wires on it . I have a deltran myself the last 11 years . some people say you should not leave them on all the time as is shortens the life of the battery ? I have a acid filled yuasa in my bike 4 years don't know how long it was in there before that but I think its getting a bit shuck like meself . I will probably get a motobatt glass mat one when the time comes .

·
Registered
345 Posts
Hi Scouserviking...Park the bike in the living room ? ? ? That brings back some nice memories from 38 years ago...so theirs at least three of us in the world including my mate Bob...BUT...the 2nd miss's wouldn't have any of that now...the bike lives in the garage along with the some spare sets of wheels for the cars !...when i lived alone the wheels had separate wardrobes in their individual bedrooms....CAN'T UNDERSTAND WOMEN ? ? Thats why i have nine sheds too !

·
Registered
345 Posts
Hi....? such thing as a stupid question ? OH yes there is ?....IS...Vincent Velocette your real name ? and welcome aboard.....

BLOODY GOOD 12v CHARGER... ebay.co.uk Car-Truck-Motorcycle-ATV-12V-Smart-Compact-Battery-Charger-Tender-Maintainer...ITEM 182172801539...SILLY'ly CHEAP and work really well..I got 3 of them..and no probs, BUT YOU GOT TO FIT A PLUG...and while your at it look at their stop tail number plate light units at £4.49p..same seller

·
Registered
266 Posts
Mine gets regular use through winter as a commuting bike. The occasional hookup to an Optimate is enough, there's nothing on the Dommie to drain a battery, not even a clock, unless you've an alarm or tracker fitted. I have a Motobatt battery on mine, 2-3 years old, always gives plenty of cranking juice, even when cold.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Hi Scouserviking...Park the bike in the living room ? ? ? That brings back some nice memories from 38 years ago...so theirs at least three of us in the world including my mate Bob...BUT...the 2nd miss's wouldn't have any of that now...the bike lives in the garage along with the some spare sets of wheels for the cars !...when i lived alone the wheels had separate wardrobes in their individual bedrooms....CAN'T UNDERSTAND WOMEN ? ? Thats why i have nine sheds too !
My missus wasnt too happy either and when the nagging started ,I traded her in for a newer one ,missus that is not my bike.:D:D:D.
I cant understand women either , its perfectly normal to want nine sheds....I dont even have one shed thats why one of my bikes is living room art over the winter...
12404338_1296252017057479_1722562898_n.jpg
How could anyone make my bike sleep outside in the cold?

I just wish my son would hurry up and get his bike out as we have already had our first snow.:(:(:(

·
Registered
345 Posts
Luv the picture...wish i had proof of my old Honda 250 Motosport tucked up nice and warm...but it only went in there b'cos local thieving bastards were nicking bikes in our area to use over the fields..she would have been ideal for e'm ...and back then i only had one big shed in the tiny garden and no local garage, although i did have three council garages four miles away where i used to live...then it became five ! !...then all the rents went up after i moved to a huge garden'd place...hence the sheds....NICE TO KNOW I'M NORMAL...No one else thinks so..but...i have a letter...from my school saying so ! dated 1961 and signed by a teacher, SERIOUS...that i show people...when they say...YOUR NOT NORMAL ! ! ...BEING 6FT AND a 17 STONE ex boxer helps a bit though...but it didn't stop the ex miss's doing a runner....

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
I had a barney once with my ex-missus.....
I made myself a lovely coffee table out of cherry wood for my new apartment,(being a wood machinist n all).
When my missus came around to visit she told me to get my feet down off my coffee table that I just made...
To get rid of her ,I started stripping my carb down on a newspaper and the smell of petrol drove her away, works every time.;););)
Your not alone in not understanding women.:cheers::cheers::cheers:

·
Registered
345 Posts
Hi Scouserviking...My ex loved the smell of petrol, and cellulose thinners, had her own pair of overalls for helping out in the garage, could use the spanners and all ! and volunteered to help ?... i drove her away by being a right son of a Steptoe ! and using our four bedroom house as a car spares warehouse...i mean having tyres and wheels stacked up in fitted wardrobes was a bit over the top..i even had plans of the shelves to find the bits off cars i'd broken up...I deserved to be dumped...my mum even got the hump when she found a spare Honda xl250 Motosport in a big 4ft x 2ft box crate i hid in her loft....Luckily i've changed a bit now...just enough...and the now mrs knows...the Stannard blokes all have it built in..bro and uncles....bloody " magpies " in a previous life and still got parts for cars from 40 years ago....NORMAL or ? WHAT

·
Registered
345 Posts
Apologies to Vincent...I got a bit side tracked...with good memories...carry on your thread mate, before i bugger it up more...ride safe...from Andy

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So my Dommie turned up today. Bought it from a garage who sent it with no fuel, even though he said he'd filled it up. Anyway, I'm new to old bikes so it took me about an hour to work it out and get it started, during this I realised the kill switch is inoperative. He's put a years MOT on it, should it have passed? He must have noticed that no?
After my marathon starting issues, any tips?

Attachments

·
Registered
345 Posts
Hi Vincent...Looks clean enough to me...Cannot blame them for not putting juice in it during transit if in the back of a van ? Someone on here will know about the kill switch and MOT...it may just be dirty contacts inside...the side stand switch was dirty on my T/A....i think i would check out engine oil, brakes, chain slack, tyres, etc before doing miles on it anyway...Dodgy weather coming up soon especially where you reside up there...so take it well easy...apologies again for the earlier side tracking...Andy

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No problem Andy.
I was out for my first proper run today. When you nail it there's loads of power and it's smooth. When you are low speed, not much throttle it's jerky as hell I'm gentle on the throttle so what could be causing it?

Thanks in advance.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts