Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I'm almost ready to shell out 400 quid+ to Hagon to rebuild my wheels with new alloy rims and stainless spokes, I need to decide whether I can get away with doing nothing to the hubs. They offer shot blasting and lacquering / painting BUT for both wheels that's easily gonna add another 80 quid (more I think when you add labour to dissassemble the hub - and no I haven't got time to do that myself at the moment :( this whole things taking ages and I just want my bike back!)...

I don't want to spend money I don't need to (it's kinda short these days)... So - has anyone on here come across bad corrosion on an old Honda hub - I'm thinking long term here. I didn't know about all the probs with the AT rims til it happened to me! Are the hubs gonna go the same way in another 5-10 years if I don't get them treated?

I love my AT and hope to keep it for many years.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/africa-twin-technical-specs/41411-africa-twin-wheel-info-answers.html

Hi Acid,
have you checked this link out?
Read it before you spend your cash may be better spent here.
Good luck.:thumb:
Thanks yeah I did. They're doing a great service but I want silver coloured rims, want tyres fitted at the same time and also need my discs, sprocket and old tyres removing. It's taken me long enough just to remove the wheels as I'm not much of a mechanic! ;) If I tried removing the discs I'd probably round out an allen bolt! :rolleyes: Hagon are fairly local too so it makes life easy for me.

Anyone got any opinions on the hub corrosion issue though?

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
If you are shelling out for getting the wheels rebuilt, it seems a shame not to recon the hubs too especially for the sake of £80. The hubs don't generally suffer failures with corrosion but they don't look pretty once the paint has started flaking - and once it's started, it can get rapidly worse.

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
Alan's right, it would be a shame to leave the hubs looking tired when you're going to the expense of fitting new rims and spokes.

Consider this.

I'm guessing Hagon will charge you to strip your old spokes and rims from the hubs? If so, and certainly if you're NOT refitting the exisiting tyres, why not strip them yourself. All you need to do is cut the spokes with a bolt cutter or similar, then release the remaining spoke from the hub. You can then do one of two things and either, use the saving of the strip out costs to finance the powdercoating, or just clean the hubs up and paint them yourself before handing them over to Hagon.

If you need to remove the tyres to re-use them, do that before cutting the spokes, and it may also be worth talking to Hagon to make sure they have all the data regarding offset etc before you start cutting.

Bob:thumbup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts