Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
a Salty follower.
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My ole faithful Husqvarna chainsaw isn't sparking, and as a result won't run, I've checked the HT from the coil to the plug and looks good and connections fine, changed plug (no spark present when I pull with plug on cooling fin) fuel and air filters etc look okay, has fuel etc.
Wondered if there was anyway I could check if the coil worked, as not cheap to replace (about £30) and if it's not that then I'd be poorer and still not working.
Ideas welcome.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
You could always take a hold of the plug lead and give the chord a pull! Personally I'd use the kids, as mine have now grown up and left home I suppose I'd perhaps ask Fiona to "hold on to that please" and give it a tug!
If it's working you'll feel a pulse up your arm, it's high voltage but no amps so not fatal!
P.S.
If you use your missus to hold the coil lead follow the same code as me with Fiona,,,, pull the chord and run like f*ck!
Let us know how you get on mate! :thumbup:

·
Registered
3 Posts
There must be a way to check the coil; but I don't know how.... I'd ask my friendly neighbourhood bike mechanic - I'm sure he'd have a method.

justanotherider

·
Stone Crazy
5,310 Posts
Question is it old enough too still have points? if so get the flywheel off and clean em, has it been in a shed all winter unused , bring it in beside the fire for while (couple of days) there maybe damp in it somewhere, other than that take the coil down too a decent mower / saw repair firm they should have a coil tester,try to avoid the big faceless ones like MST at tiverton as they will take it and say leave it with us take a week and charge ya for it, if ya can find a little one manband type that will do it on the spot and buy the new coil from them if needed they most likely will not charge ya
Merv

L

·
0 Posts
Just check continuity on the coil, also does the model have a capacitor? They tend to go more than the coils

·
a Salty follower.
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi folks, thanks for the early responses.
It looks like the coil picks up from the flywheel starter 'pull the string it goes round' thing (stop me if I'm getting too technical) I've cleaned them all off (a bit mucky but not too bad) and still nowt.

It gets light use all year round keeping the burner fed and log shed fat, it actually stopped mid session!
I've heard coils sometimes make a popping noise when they go, but I'd have had a lid on, and been in a world of my own. So the saw was working one minute, then nothing.
It's not very old (5 years-ish) just not as loved as it should be, A little place has been recommended in Honiton, and if I say 'just say Alan sent you' I hope not to get ripped (or he was having a laugh and they will later split the difference):sunny:

·
Stone Crazy
5,310 Posts
Hmm sounds a bit like dead coil then
Merv

1 - 7 of 7 Posts