Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

The instructions for the Hyperpro progressive springs install are a little surprising to me as anyone I've seen install progressive springs on YouTube doesn't remove the forks. They do this simple remove the cap...drop in the spring deal...

Is removal really necessary?

Thanks,
Dar

·
Registered
161 Posts
You can change springs easily without removing fork as you say. Loosen top yoke bolts before undoing the top cap! Depends if you change oil at the same time. Rd04 has drain plugs but i think the 07 doesnt. You can adjust oil level with a syringe or syphon tube. Hyperpro springs on my rd04 made a big difference.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You can change springs easily without removing fork as you say. Loosen top yoke bolts before undoing the top cap! Depends if you change oil at the same time. Rd04 has drain plugs but i think the 07 doesnt. You can adjust oil level with a syringe or syphon tube. Hyperpro springs on my rd04 made a big difference.
Thanks for the reply Frostguiding. I ended up removing the forks and I'm very glad I did so, was a great learning experience. I got to refurb/polish the whole front end of the bike, changed the oil out and I'm very impressed with the springs so far. [email protected] the rear one to do this evening, will see how that goes! :)

Cheers,
Dar

·
Registered
161 Posts
Glad to hear it. I changed the rear too - easy enough as it turned out. I noticed less difference with the rear spring than I did changing the front, but it was worth it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Glad to hear it. I changed the rear too - easy enough as it turned out. I noticed less difference with the rear spring than I did changing the front, but it was worth it.
How'd you go about doing that now? I see in the manual they have a special compression tool, and I've read about people trying to compress the spring with ratchet straps...some not so successfully doing so.

I was considering making a similar style tool as the one in the manual...welding a frame together to mount the shock and spring and compressing it with a car jack.

·
Registered
161 Posts
A spring compressor would definitely help but I managed without by undoing the pre-load rings as far as possible - this gives just enough space to get the hoof off the other end and remove the spring. Getting it back together just involved the reverse, plus added swearing and cursing.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Digging up an old thread ... I've just purchased some Hyperpro fork springs, the installation instructions are a little lacking ... The new spring is quite long and leaves me asking if I need to install the short springs that were fitted originally??

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi guys

Just considering buying the hyperpro progressive front + rear this winter.

Is it worth buying ? Not that its expensive, but are these any good for real dirt riding, or should I go for KTM or Honda CR forks or similar... ?

Any feedback form a user would be appreciated.

Thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts