Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for the more experienced folks here.

How close are these two engines? Obviously, there would be some fabrication involved, but weight savings, power gains and fuel injection!!!!!

Maybe someone has tried it?

Just a thought, not something I've really considered, but interested in a discussion.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey, guys !

My 2 ngultrums (from an AT fundamentalist) :

An AT without its 52-degree-V-twin isn't an AT anymore.

The SV has a 90-degree-V-twin. Makes it almost impossible.

The DL650 is definitely a nice bike, but I wouldn't have it instead of my AT. Long live carbs !

(NB : the ngultrum is the official currency of Bhutan)

La DuF

Reactions: dwdufour

·
Registered
326 Posts
Ill explain "difficult"...

Honda made the engine 52 degrees to save space. A 90 degree engine takes up more space of course, so it likely won't fit in the AT frame. You would have to seriously redesign a significant portion of the frame to make it work. Also keep in mind that that Sv engine is designed to hang in a frame...the AT engine sits inside a frame cradle. Very different stress points on the engine.

Finally, putting at SV engine in an AT would make it no longer the unique bike that we love. The power improvement would be minimal too.

Get a DL if you like that engine, but you will miss your AT, I promise!

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Of course, I wouldn't do this with my AT. Just a hypothetical.

This arose from reading a build thread where a guy put the SV650 into a 990 adventure and my disappointment at the new AT being too big for my taste.

The next thought, it ABS. That would make road riding so much safer. How difficult would that be?

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
I enjoy seeing labours of love, where people change a vehicle way beyond it's original design capabilities.

I can't help thinking if you want a bike thats lighter, better power & torque, fi and abs - buy one that fits the bill, unless you want a challenging labour of love :)

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When they make a bike that looks as good as the RD03 with a modern, lightweight twin cylinder engine, fuel injection, on/off abs and plenty of ground clearance, I am on it.

Until then, I'll drive my AT until the wheels fall off and use a smaller single for anything beyond a gravel road.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I agree with piguglyshandydrinker....I'm all for customizing, but at some point it is just easier to start with a different canvas (if you will). Sounds like an f800gs or a Tiger to me.

My advice...wait for the Africa Twin. I think you will want one :thumbup:

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'll never get rid of my RD03. And it really does most of what I want. I think the bigger adventure tourers aren't going to cut it for me.

Really looking hard at small singles for dual sport and I'll keep the RD03 and R65 for road stuff.

Modern technology is overrated anyway. ;)

·
Registered
64 Posts
well dwdufour if the question is "how close are these two engines " SV and AT the answer is three feet in my garage.:thumbup:
and just to keep them company there is a gsx 750 srad.:razz: all the bikes are great but the ATs engin is in bits as i write. but not for much longer.
good luck with the swap. what about a VFR?

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
project bikes = how to turn vast sums of money and lots and lots of your time into something that might or might not be worth more when your eventually finished ****ing around with it that's if you don't just take it all apart and lose half of it and sell it for a huge loss on e bay .

my policy buy a nice tidy example of what you want with low miles and nothing more than the odd consumable part needing changed soon and forget the rest oh yeah and do your homework on what ever bike you fancy to know their weaknesses and buy with the head not the heart . im sure there is plenty of tutorials on how to inspect a motorcycle that you intend on purchasing on youtube or you could do it the old fashioned way and just read about it on the interweb :toothy9:

·
Registered
969 Posts
I did once see a GSXR motor in an old air cooled Tenere at the Bulldog Bash.
It looked crazy and went like the clappers, and I remember it from over twenty tears ago.
Anything can be done; by some people.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts