Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
one-legged member
4,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I kick-started my KTM 640 today (after the battery went flat), what a he-man. First time I've kick-started a bike for a long long time, obviously I did it with my right leg

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
A kick what?

Ah now I remember. The last bike I had that had one of those was my Beamish Suzuki in the early 80s

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
my knee hurts just thinking about it.

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Were you out and about in this lovely downpour then or was this purely an in-garage activity? Either way it's good to know it's an option if you need it.

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
A kick what?

Ah now I remember. The last bike I had that had one of those was my Beamish Suzuki in the early 80s
Hang on.

I've just remembered. My trusty C90 has one. Doesn't work very well as I suspect the clutch is beggered but you can bump start it just by walking along side it.

·
chicken chaser
1,554 Posts
my old CB250RS had one
that was about 20 years ago...

:D:D

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
. First time I've kick-started a bike for a long long time, obviously I did it with my right leg
what feckin star, most of us want the electric foot on mopeds
:thumbup::toothy1:

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
I kick-started my KTM 640 today (after the battery went flat), what a he-man. First time I've kick-started a bike for a long long time, obviously I did it with my right leg

Respect due!

I took a 640adv to Morocco, and the minute I got there the 'kin starter packed up (sprag clutch) so I spent two weeks kickstarting the biatch. I HATED IT!

There is a knack to it though. Get it right, and all is well, get it wrong and it ferkin hurts!!

My personal curse of single cylinder bikeshad struck again, so I (regrettably now) sold it the minute I got back.

:thumbup:

·
Stone Crazy
5,310 Posts
kick starts are great. on 2 stroke twins, not sure how the Vigor would be though,

·
Premium Member
10,746 Posts
not sure what the fuss is all about:confused::confused:
Since you are the XRV Bionic man anyway you would have used your bionic leg and that would have been easy:rolleyes::D:toothy10:

·
one-legged member
4,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
not sure what the fuss is all about:confused::confused:
Since you are the XRV Bionic man anyway you would have used your bionic leg and that would have been easy:rolleyes::D:toothy10:

I'd give it a go but I imagine it might hurt a tad :cyclopsani:

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
Pah, kicking singles is easy... ;-)

Ever tried to get a temperamental airhead GS kickstarted first thing in the morning on a cold day in April when it really could do with a carb sync again?

That sideways kicker. Mounted too high. the flimsy sidestand that won't withstand such abuse, so on the mainstand and out of reach it is... It's like kicking a dead pig. ;-)

So I was having a complete barstard of a time with it, until some fellow showed up asked if he could have a go. Kick... Kick, BROAAH. Life in two kicks.

Turns out he'd had Nortons all his life. ;-)

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
I found there was a knack after reading someone else's comments.

1 full kick holding the decompressor.
Then, holding the decompressor, taking the kickstart down about halfway, releasing the decomp, and giving the remaining half a swift kick.

Usually started first time, as long as it hadn't been on it's side.

:toothy5:

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
What I've been told about singles with a manual decompressor:

Kick it into compression. Pull decompressor and kick it down a wee bit more. Release decompressor and let the kickstarter come all the way back up, then give it a swift kick.

Then there was the old guy on the XL250 I once met by the side of the road. Borrowed bike. With instructions on how to start, which he was following to the letter. He'd stalled it after about half an hour's worth of motorway so the poor old thing was searing hot. "First, extend the choke"...

·
Premium Member
9,523 Posts
Well I'm a fecking expert on kickstarting what with the XR400.
Tried to get it started the other day after a few months in the garage, I lost a stone in weight and lost count after 60 kicks.
Got it started though... and had a big grin on my face again.:D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts