Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, i cruised down to M40 towards Hugh Endon's motorbike dealership near Oxford on my ZX6R, having made a deal the week before to buy an Africa Twin from them in px for my Kwacker. I had polished my bike before i sold it, the first time i had cleaned it since i bought it from new. She looked great again, excellant performance corners on rails etc, i loved this bike. I was sad to see her go and had mixed emotions about it, it had been a great bike.

When i turned of the motorway at junction seven, i drove past the turning where the bike dealers were, i found a layby nearby and pulled over. I lit a ciggarette, got off the bike and walked around her, i was wondering if i was doing the right thing with this deal. I got on back on the bike and rode into the dealers, i saw the @ in the forecourt, i did not get excited, i dispensed with the usual formalities for px, papers, sigatures etc, i gave them the keys for my bike and collected the keys for my new steed. The salesman showed me to the @ standing in the front of the dealers premises he then showed me what's what on the bike, left me to it and off he went. I was left alone for the first time with this new bike, i was looking for the lugs where i had to hook the ladder to, so i could climb onto the saddle. The bike seemed huge and intimedating to me, even at my hight of 5ft 11ins.

I turned the key and she fired up. I rode............ or should i say wobbled, around the car park of the dealers premises to get a feel of the new machine....... i really thought i had made a decision i was gonna regret by purchasing this bike, it did not feel right somehow. So i rode down a few country lanes and i realised i could see over the hedges at the bends, from my new elevated riding position, great! i rode the lanes for a few miles more and then decided to take the plunge and hit the M40 to ride home to London. I indicated left at the next M40 eastbound motorway sign and turned onto the slip road to join the motorway....... I accelerated to join the main flow of the traffic. I looked in my mirrors and I thought to myself, wow, wing mirrors that enable me to see the vehicles behind, because of the design of my previous bikes i was under the impression that wing mirrors were for admiring my elbows with....... and i could turn my head right round from an upright seated position to look at any rear oncoming threat, not for me anymore just a quick glance behind from a crouched down racing position tucked in behind a perspex screen which enabled me to see my shoulder.

I then twisted the throttle, and integrated with the main flow of the traffic............ WOOO HOOOOOOOOO! this was great i could see for miles down the motorway, no more looking at the rear number plate of the car in front which was usually about level with my eyes, a Range Rover was level with me on the right, i could see the inside the car and at the shapley legs of the female passenger next to the driver :lol: , i felt like tapping on the window and saying ' gotta light mate, whilst having a cigarrette dangling from my mouth, it was like a whole new biking experiance, 'Hey Ma! look at me i'm on top of the world' (are you old enought ot remember that line)

I hear @ owners complaining about the seat of the bike being uncomfortable, trust me.....i have done a non stop (except for refuelling)24hour one thousand mile ride on a fully laden Harley 1200 sportster, and a fourteen hour none stop stint on the ZX6R through freezing Spanish mountains, and the @ seat is not the worst one out there. This is a bloody great bike and i am wondering why i had never considered buying one before, when i am on the road with it i feel so planted, and to use the @ cliche 'there's so much presence'.

The only problem i have now is when it has been used and abused by me, what am i gonna replace it with, and don't mention the bike who's name begins with B and ends with W. I read your foum before i purchased this bike and i wanna say thanks for all the info you have written on the @ and thanks to those of you that answered me in person to my rather dull questions, i am very happy with my new toy :D :D :D

London Bubble

·
Registered
364 Posts
Glad you are pleased with your purchase. I have had my AT for a couple of weeks and already love it. My previous bike was a CCM R30 and I thought I would really miss the lack of weight and maneuverability, but the other aspects of the AT more than make up for it.

I agree with your comments about the seat - I find it comfortable enough, certainly better than the CCM's.

The view you get from the AT is excellent and it has much better road presence than the CCM - some people actually see me and give way now :)

Welcome to our world.

Tony

·
Registered
349 Posts
Nice one - pleased you finally got it.

Have a look on their website, as I think it's still advertised as for sale!! Oh, and don't break your heart by looking to see what they're selling yours for!

Happy AT'ing.

·
Last of the Minoans
1,503 Posts
London Bubble,

I heartily enjoyed reading that - good on yer mate! I'm hoping Honda have a replacement for the AT by the time I'm ready to change, though mine will be more or less over the 100,000 this time next year. If they haven't the Austrians might get my cash (950 Adventure).

Enjoy it while you have it....

Stig

·
Registered
552 Posts
Yup the AT is great for looking at the girlys legs in cars, when you are on a motorway journey. :D

·
Premium Member
9,523 Posts
Londonbubble that was a great write up.
Can I use that as an article? You'll get full credit.
Its brilliant and sums up just how many of us have felt when moving from a sports bike to an AT.
I to did the same I went from a YZF600R to an AT.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Good man...that's almost a word for word account of what happened to me when I chopped my CBR for the @.

:D

·
Registered
269 Posts
I reconize this story, i bought a AT after a FZR600,ZXR750 and GSX-R600 and wished i did it sooner. Weirdest thing is that before i had my driving license i wanted a AT as a bike but went for sportbikes. Had fun on the sportbikes but a AT suits me better.

·
Premium Member
9,523 Posts
londonbubble you got any pics of your bike that I can intersperse in that article?

·
Registered
276 Posts
The lads at work thought I was mad (or merely confirmed it :wink: ) because I swapped a NC30 (pocket rocket) for a @.

That was in 1998 ! when @'s where like rocking horse poo, ie no ebay then and no web site . It took 3 months of hunting trying to find a decent one in the correct colour and a RD07 . I ending up virtually ordering a 2nd hand import from Germany via the my local small bike shop.

Now Honda have stopped making them, there seems to be lots around.

Northy

1 - 12 of 12 Posts