Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sick of buying bike jackets which let in rain like a sieve.

I bought my latest Rayven jkt a few weks ago and on my way down to Auvergne it rained and I got soaked starting with the sleeves. The last 3 jkts have also been crap. So now I will buy a cheapie jkt and just put on a wproof jkt and/or my rainsuit over it.

And I'm thinking about buying say a trekking jkt and just wearing moto-X armour underneath as I am fed up being RIPPED OFF ALL THE TIME.

I went down to Le Puy today by the Loire Gorges route on the AT to buy a load of drink and YES I GOT SOAKED AGAIN. And I'm going back to the UK on Sat/Sun AND I'LL GET SOAKED AGAIN.

I CANT STAND IT ANY MORE - THERE'S HORRIBLE CHURCH BELLS GOING BING BOING IN MY HEAD ALL THE TIME WHEN I THINK OF ALL THE WASTED DOSH.....:evil2: :mad:

·
21st Century Schizoid Man
2,428 Posts
I bought one of those cheap (hundred quid cheap) GTH jackets for my winter wear this year as my old winter jacket had a couple of holes in it. Useless! Water runs down my back as soon as it begins to rain because the collar doesn't come high enough and the rain drips straight off my helmed and down the back. The arms let water in within about ten minutes and I daren't put anything in any of the pockets because they all get soggy. It's luminous yellow and black but there's no light reflecting gear on it, so it's nice and bright for dull light conditions but uselss in the dark.
But it's easy to wash :rolleyes:

·
21st Century Schizoid Man
2,428 Posts
Sorry - all the excitement about jackets - enjoying your trip? Lots of piccies coming I hope :D

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts
spend a grand on top gear:eek: or get plastic over troosers and jacket that works better than all this fancey stuff choice is yours :D

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
I agree with Chad, spend some money on decent gear and you'll stay dry. I bought the Hein Gericke Cruise suit a couple of years ago and I've never even been damp

·
Ninja Thread Hijacker
2,978 Posts
Buy something with a gortex liner - it will not leak and you'll get it replaced if it does. W.L.Gore test all garments built by companies using their fabrics.

The damp going up your cuffs, may be a result of the trailie riding position, try your gloves over your cuffs for a journey and see how it goes.

·
It's Just A Ride....
1,499 Posts
I know I sound like a scratch record, but I'll say it again, just cus...

The Rukka Kit Totally Rocks... Awesome... (We'll almost totally, like all synths. in takes ages to dry out in your tent!)...

I use the Armax jacket and trousers... Never once been wet, cold or even slightly damp... (And I've used it extensively in the most horrific weather conditions...) Add some Altbergs and u'll never be wet again...

OK Really Really Really f**king expensive, but worth it long term... If your buying in the UK, places like Infinity will take a Bid... (Just order your size in to try on, after researching how much you can buy it online from Germany at, then ask them to match the price... Worked for me... :rolleyes: )

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Wrap yourself in clingfilm before you........

ooops...... wrong forum....
Surely in that forum it should have been "before you come"?

·
Registered
832 Posts
I got cheapish Richa jacket and trousers which don't leak, but I'm gonna get some sort of oversuit cos when I'm camping it's a bummer having wet (on the outisde) jacket and trousers to deal with. Thought an oversuit might be better than over jacket and trousers - Spada one came (there it is again ;)) out best in the Ride test (the innuendos just keep..... appearing!!)

·
DILLIGAF
1,685 Posts
I've never been let down by anything that has goretex in it, despite being out in what appeared to be armageddon at the time :eek:

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Monday riding back from Dover. Wild weather. Normal enduro type jacket. ex Army goretex leggings (light Dutch ones with no willy holes £20) and an XXXL boil in the bag lightweight suit (Hein Gericke 7 years old now) over the top (£35). Ex army goretex leather gloves (£12)....DRIZABONE.

·
TV boffin
328 Posts
I have an ordinary "Scott Leathers" cordura jacket (the only leather bit is a tiny bit of trim on the collar to stop it rubbing on your neck). Super-comfy, very waterproof.

·
DILLIGAF
1,685 Posts
Sorry to ressurect an old thread, but its relevent.

As my cheapo Spada textile suit appears to have shrunk around the waistband whislt in my wordrobe :)rolleyes: ), I was thinking of buying the Hein Gericke TRG Rallye GTX II Jacket and Trousers, as they have a sale on at the moment it will only cost me £270 instead of £450. Does anybody have experience of this particular suit and of Hein Gericke's stuff in general?

Any opinions greatly welcomed :D

·
Premium Member
10,746 Posts
Guess you talking about the tuareg stuff?
Well i had my HG jacket and trousers now for 5 years and they still keep me dry.The problem with the tuareg is it has a waterproof"Liner" which means your jacket gets soaking wet but you stay dry.Guess not to bad for everyday use but if you want to tour a bit you have a problem.When we did the Haggis run this year it would not have been possible to dry the gear out(10 days rain:()
But for that price you still get good kit,the question is,willl you be touring or just use it around home?
In general i can give HG the Thumbs up,i been using it for years and never had a real problem.My Trouser leg zips went after 5 years but even this they repair for £5 a zip:cool::cool:
If you have the money to stretch for the better stuff(Cruise/Journey) go for that but like everything in life it is a matter of pennys available at the time:rolleyes:

·
Ninja Thread Hijacker
2,978 Posts
The HG sale has a Cruise Gortex on offer - much better in MHO as the Gortex is "fixed" and built in as part of the textile sandwich. The big downside of most Rallye style kackets is that the gortex is built into a removeable Gortex/Thermal liner that you zip in - so the whole suit gets soaked through to the liner that is sitting on top of your Wee body.

Nice to be able to remove the waterproof / thermal bit when your mashing through the Sahara on your way to another stage victory in the Dakar - but not much good in the middle of a wet, windy, cold, (normal) morning here on the West Coast !!!!

Like today - 'spishing down again

·
Registered
376 Posts
Interesting nobody on the site seems to have discovered Frogg Toggs, I always take a set of these when I'm touring, they're basically a fine woven polymer that is totally waterproof, yet breathable the material almost feels like paper, but is extremely tough, I have my set 5 years now, the joy for touring is that you can put them on over your gear (XXL does the trick for me), they don't have the boil-in-the-bag effect, as they're light and breathable, and lastly, but definaetly not leastly, you take 'em off, give 'em a quick shake and hey presto, they're dry, so musty smelly gear in the tent drying is a thing of the past, they also fold up to the size of a fist, so they'll fit under the seat easily. I'll post their web address, but bear in mind that they're stateside and don't ship directly to this side of the pond, but you will always pick up a set easy on fleabay for under 40 quid.

http://www.froggtoggs.com/

·
DILLIGAF
1,685 Posts
Guess you talking about the tuareg stuff?
Well i had my HG jacket and trousers now for 5 years and they still keep me dry.The problem with the tuareg is it has a waterproof"Liner" which means your jacket gets soaking wet but you stay dry.Guess not to bad for everyday use but if you want to tour a bit you have a problem.When we did the Haggis run this year it would not have been possible to dry the gear out(10 days rain:()
But for that price you still get good kit,the question is,willl you be touring or just use it around home?
In general i can give HG the Thumbs up,i been using it for years and never had a real problem.My Trouser leg zips went after 5 years but even this they repair for £5 a zip:cool::cool:
If you have the money to stretch for the better stuff(Cruise/Journey) go for that but like everything in life it is a matter of pennys available at the time:rolleyes:
The HG sale has a Cruise Gortex on offer - much better in MHO as the Gortex is "fixed" and built in as part of the textile sandwich. The big downside of most Rallye style kackets is that the gortex is built into a removeable Gortex/Thermal liner that you zip in - so the whole suit gets soaked through to the liner that is sitting on top of your Wee body.

Nice to be able to remove the waterproof / thermal bit when your mashing through the Sahara on your way to another stage victory in the Dakar - but not much good in the middle of a wet, windy, cold, (normal) morning here on the West Coast !!!!

Like today - 'spishing down again
Appreciate the input guys :thumbup:. The kit will be used for commuting, everyday transportation and eventually once I've run me 'Alp in, some touring (sunny day riding is reserved for my Draggin's and Leather jacket).

I'm glad you mentioned that the gortex was part of the thermal liner. To me that is completely pointless. Don't they think it rains when its warm :confused: :confused: :confused: .

Having looked at the Hein Gericke website, it appears that the cruise stuff isn't on Sale, which is a shame 'cus it does appear to be much better stuff. Unfortuanatly they don't appear to answer the bloody phones so couldn't find out if it is on Sale or not :mad: .

Looks like I'll pop into my local store when I wake up from work Monday.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts