Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently did a spate of maintenance that I had been postponing for when I had more time.

One such task was to sort the slightly warped front disc. To this end I sourced a decent looking second disc from someone on here.

I swapped over th discs yesterday, new pads, all the disc bolts , axles and clamp bolts torqued up. Span the wheel and it seemed to spin true.

Yet today I ran it up the road to check how my head race adjustment had gone and I still can feel pulse of a warp disc at the lever.

So unless this replacement disc has exactly the same degree of warp as the last disc, something else must be the cause...

At the risk of sounding paranoid, I do seem to collect the most unlikely problems:

Either I have two discs that are warped or, somehow, my frikkin' hub is somehow the cause. :confused:

****************ing **************ocks....

Rant over, awaiting your suggestions whilst I consider just admitting defeat and buying a car....

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Did you give the hub a really good scrub before fitting the disk? Any corrosion or crud round the bolt holes will cause this.

·
Premium Member
6,922 Posts

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I seem to recall that it all looked clean and metallic, but then I was not looking, so there may be some stuff.

Let's hope it's just that....

However, I did notice that all the bolts protruded by the same amount at the back of the threads in the hub, so it would have to be a small amount of crud...

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Use a centre stand and raise the front wheel, Hold a fibre pen touching the disc and spin the wheel, it should show where the disc is out of true if that is the cause.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Use a centre stand and raise the front wheel, Hold a fibre pen touching the disc and spin the wheel, it should show where the disc is out of true if that is the cause.

I already know: if I spin the wheel, it slows when it passes the caliper...

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Well, I took the disc off, scraped and brushed the mounting faces on the hub, refitted the disc and hey presto.... no ******g change. Looking at the hub, the ally is a bit mashed behind the point that drags...

Looks like it is the hub and that a disc lock might have knackered it...

Someone, somewhere is having a bloody laugh....

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Well, I took the disc off, scraped and brushed the mounting faces on the hub, refitted the disc and hey presto.... no ******g change. Looking at the hub, the ally is a bit mashed behind the point that drags...

Looks like it is the hub and that a disc lock might have knackered it...

Someone, somewhere is having a bloody laugh....
You need to get the hub spun up on a lathe and get the brake disc mounting surface(s) machined flat again.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You need to get the hub spun up on a lathe and get the brake disc mounting surface(s) machined flat again.
I plan to, but the lathe will be my balcony and the machining will be with a dremel.

I'm going to take measurements with vernier calipers at 4 points on each mounting surface, with particular attention to the surface where the warping occurs.

I'll compare the measurementsand sand off the parts that are point of range...

I mean, how hard can it be? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
924 Posts
I mean, how hard can it be? :rolleyes:
... and the next "whats the worst that can happen" Dr Pepper advert ... featuring Warthog.... :D

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Take the Bolt out of the suspect mount point, then spin wheel.
My first thought when I read that were:
"Wosat gonna proov, eh? EH?"

I've since eaten several "ehs".

I took out that bolt, span the wheel and hey presto it was much improved.

Didn't try riding the bike although this amplifies what I feel by spinning by hand. Still, seems promising.

This means that torquing that bolt down, takes that section of disc through and then beyond the midline of the disc, making it drag. that then means that I would need to shim the other side with the "wafferest of waffer thin mints, monsieur..."

So how to proceed, I don't know.

Unless the consensus is that it is safe to ride with one less disc bolt....:angel8:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts