Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There I was, tempting providence on the 'Which Vader' thread by talking about the one bugbear with my vara, namely the frequency with which the reg/rec fails and I think the b****** has gone again. Came home last night in the pouring rain after a visit to China Clay country round St. Austell with no problem. Just gone to start it for a quick bimble over the moor and everythings dead. Main fuse has blown!
What else might it be ?

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Well I would make sure the mounting area for the reg/rec is clean and rust free as the frame also acts as a heat sync to help keep things cool. Apart form that make sure all connections are clean and bright.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
I don't recall hearing of many reg/rec failures on Varas. That you should get so many (?) suggests there may be another root problem. It may be worth getting the electrics checked over by a professional. Make sure they know you are looking for a root problem that might cause the reg/rec to fail.

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Reg/rect doesn't usually blow the fuse when it goes. I'd start looking for short circuits.

·
Registered
285 Posts
went for a spin on mine today, the alarm/kill switch slightly played up and it took me a while to get the bike started... Now where is the manual to that Meta Alarm.... Must get the fecker removed....:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Reg/rect doesn't usually blow the fuse when it goes. I'd start looking for short circuits.
The reg/rec has failed at intervals of between 10 and 20 thousand miles. When it goes its been a total failure with no warning symptoms. Main fuse blows. Replace the fuse and it blows again on turning the key. Unplug the reg/rec and replace fuse. Everything works fine and bike can be ridden for short distances. Replace reg/rec and everything is fine. Can't see how there could be a short.
On removal the back of the component was covered in corrosion (grey) and road crap (there is a hole in the mounting plate allowing access to whatever the rear wheel is throwing up). The mounting plate also had some rust! These factors I suppose have affected the components ability to dissipate heat, causing failure. What I don't get is why it can cope with temperatures of 40+ in Southern Europe and fail in the pouring rain on Bodmin moor.:confused:

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
When it goes its been a total failure with no warning symptoms. Main fuse blows. Replace the fuse and it blows again on turning the key.
That's pretty conclusive then - a short circuit failure mode on the reg/rect unit. Nasty. I'd see about getting an R1 or a GSXR1000 unit in there instead maybe.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Back from the workshop today with new reg/rec and new Tourance:hitler: on the front. Care and maintenance has never been my strong point but on the advice of my mechanic (Colin Flashman) I'm memoing myself to remove side panel in six months time, remove the reg/rec and clean all the crud and crap from between the component and the mounting plate, apply heat sink paste, copper grease the bolts and check connections are clean and bright. Repeat at 6 monthly intervals. Should improve the situation.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts