Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Almost finished the general stripdown and rebuild of my new (96) AT and as usual the choke cable, as on my other two ATs is knackered. (why is it such a shite design)

But this time I don't just need the choke cable but the two plastic choke plunger nuts that screw into the carbs also. However, you can't buy them seperately (I knew they would say that) you have to buy a kit comprising the plunger nuts, plungers needles etc.

How much? £95 the pair! :pale:

Anyone got an old choke cable hanging with the plastic nuts they don't want?

·
Registered
450 Posts
Yep had the same problem on my RD04 got one from a breaker. I never use the choke on my RD07 it's started ok without from new.
Bill

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I noticed on my first two ATs that the bike normally starts anyway even without choke.

What are they like to start in winter though?

·
Registered
450 Posts
It fires up ok straight out of the garage without the choke. If its stood outside it will still start without choke and is a bit lumpy but by the time i swing a leg over it pulls away easy
Bill

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,027 Posts
miggy said:
Almost finished the general stripdown and rebuild of my new (96) AT and as usual the choke cable, as on my other two ATs is knackered. (why is it such a shite design)

But this time I don't just need the choke cable but the two plastic choke plunger nuts that screw into the carbs also. However, you can't buy them seperately (I knew they would say that) you have to buy a kit comprising the plunger nuts, plungers needles etc.

How much? £95 the pair! :pale:

Anyone got an old choke cable hanging with the plastic nuts they don't want?
It's a swine innit. I only had to buy one, and nearly died when they told me the price. When you refit, a good idea is to connect the cable at the handlebar end first, then put the choke on. This compresses the springs in the choke bodies, making them easier to screw in.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
miggy said:
Yeah I noticed on my first two ATs that the bike normally starts anyway even without choke.
Especially when the choke-cable is worn and sticky of rust
..never mind
:drunken:

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've had 3 ATs now and on each one the choke cable has been rusted to f***. I've become pretty good at taking 'em apart and making them work but on this occasion one of the cable ends was totally locked with rust at the carb end.

Unfortunately, the other dicks who owned the bike before me had chewed the threads on the plastic nuts to pieces otherwise it would only have been a new cable required and not the nuts as well.

Bollocks: http://www.kontraband.com/show/show.asp?ID=966&CAT=tvads&rtn=main-topten

A

·
0 Posts
Well, I'm sorry if I set you on the wrong foot... It's not that I have one spare or whatever, was just wondering.

I would try to fix the old cable somehow (or a new choke solution), sounds very expensive, for just the first two minutes of driving...

Gdluck,
Tijn

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've become expert at fixing them but this one was absolutely beyond any repair.

However, I bought a pair of 98 carbs from a breakers complete with choke cable (which was also knackered!) but it had the little plastic nuts on them that I transfered to my new choke cable. Cost £48 inc' postage.

Anyone want a pair of 98 carbs going very cheap?

(sold)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts