Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks like lots of us were up in Scotland last week, so here's my ha'peth. As per the norm I've got loads of photos of lay-byes and motorbikes, but hardly any of the great roads and countryside.

I rode up to Ripon from Warwickshire to stay with my Dad on the Saturday and then last Sunday (the very hot one) my brother came over from Leeds and we rode up to Fort William. Him on his big Bandit and me on the TA700.
We went over to the M6 via the A66 after suffering heavy traffic and queues on the A1 up to Scotch Corner. The traffic started to get heavy again around Glasgow and up past Loch Lomond.

It was interesting going down Glen Coe but not one of my favourite stretches (hope that's not biker sacrilege).

The next day we headed up via Ullapool to Durness on the north coast. Never done this before and had thought it might be over hyped. Wrong!.

Made the obligatory stop at the Commando memorial.

We stayed over in a B&B in Durness and topped up the tanks here also, £1.34 a litre !

Third day involved a route via Tongue down to Lairg, Bonar Bridge, Beauly, Drumnadrochit, Loch Ness. Over nighting in a B&B on the A82 between Tyndrum and Crianlarich. I can thoroughly recommend this place. It was called Ewich House, amazing location, accom and brekky for just £32.

We'd thought our last day would just be a boring run back into Yorkshire but we were wrong. We'd chosen to go via the A7 from Edinburgh to Carlisle and it was ace. We were dead lucky with the traffic and hade a fantastic run down.
We then cut over from the M6 through Sedburgh, Hawes, Leyburn and back to Ripon. That bit wasn't very enjoyable , mainly because of the weather and heavy rain.
Came back down to Warwickshire on Friday. Boring.

Total mileage : 1408
Favourite Roads :
Ullapool to Durness,
A883 Beauly to Drumnadrochit,
A7 Gorebridge to Galashiels
MPG : 59

The TA700 performed well, only the chain needed any attention. Of all the 100's of bikes we must have seen up there, not one TA700.

I had had a new rear tyre fitted the week before we left (Trailwing). Eight mm of nice tread, which is now worn down to 6 already. That's a higher rate than usual for me, but only to be expected considering all the cornering over the 4 days in Scotland. I know lots of you don't like the Trailwing but I've never had a problem with them. That said, I think I'll switch to Met Tourance next.

Like I've said before, I have the right bike, I just live in the wrong place.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
You have definitely been on some cracking roads, as you say the roads are understated and the memories are better than pictures the stops...:thumbup:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts