Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Dommie lives on the street so it hides under an Oxford Stormex cover when not in use. At least three times in the last month the wind has got it and knocked the bike over.

We live on a slight hill so the bike is always parked with the side stand side down hill but because it's quite a tall bike, and the original mirrors make matters worse, the cover is just a big sail and over it goes in a strong wind.

Sadly, last time it happened, it fell against a car. Luckily it was my car. Unluckily it broke the car headlight!

Has anyone experienced similar and found a solution?
Cheers

·
Registered
695 Posts
Ouch, what about taking a strap from the handlebar to a solid object at ground level, to prevent it over-balancing on the stand? A drain cover / lamp-post or even the tow loop of your car?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Has anyone experienced similar ?
Cheers
Yes.
Mine used to go over regularly when I parked it outside an office block with odd wind eddies - although I was never actually convinced it wasn't some hooligan kicking it over.....

found a solution?

No. I did fit some barkbusters to stop the levers getting broken.

I'm not a big fan of covers myself as they tend to cause condensation (or trap water on a wet bike) / melt on hot exhausts / are a pain to put on and store.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No lamp posts or drain covers near enough to the house. I did think about lashing it to the tow loop of the car but then had nightmares about absent-mindedly driving the car away...

Ouch, what about taking a strap from the handlebar to a solid object at ground level, to prevent it over-balancing on the stand? A drain cover / lamp-post or even the tow loop of your car?
Funnily enough, the first time it happened I thought a van had clipped it, but it's definitely the wind! It's a tough call - protect it from rain and frost or prevent it from falling over. At least it's easy to pick up!

Yes.
Mine used to go over regularly when I parked it outside an office block with odd wind eddies - although I was never actually convinced it wasn't some hooligan kicking it over.....

No. I did fit some barkbusters to stop the levers getting broken.

I'm not a big fan of covers myself as they tend to cause condensation (or trap water on a wet bike) / melt on hot exhausts / are a pain to put on and store.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
I use bungee cord tied around the saddle and under the bike then a piece of rope to secure the cover to the front wheel to stop the wind catching it . try changing the angle at which you park does it blow the bike over the near side or off side . hears a whacky idea that just might work if you made like a sand bag type of weight covered in cloth to protect the paint work with a hook like what comes on mini tie down straps to hook it on the handle bar on the near side . 1 1/2 stone weight should do the trick . in gale force winds its not recommended to cover a bike I have heard of them blowing over a lot and have had my own ntv 650 blown over myself with a cover fitted but maybe not tied down as I would these days ? its a few years ago .

·
Registered
79 Posts
OK standby for weird. When this happened to mine I got a bag of sand, attached a bungy chord to the bag and slung it underneath the bike from foot peg to foot peg, it did the trick or maybe its not been so windy recently. PS Don't ride off with bag of sand attached. Useful thing with this method is that the bag can be placed over the cover to stop it blowing away when not in use.
Good luck

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It blows over onto the off-side, i.e. up the hill. And I live in London, not Snowdonia - it ain't that bloody windy.

The street is roughly north-south, going uphill to north so the bike parked on the east side of the road is pointing west with the side-stand downhill. I've tried turning the bike so it's angled more downhill (i.e. facing SW) but it's no better, worse iff anything. Prevailing winds are obviously westerly so the worst of the wind should be deflected by the houses opposite but recently we've had some blowy southwesterlies which have been causing me grief, more than usual.

My neighbours are scared to park anywhere near the bike which doesn't make me very popular, although on the upside, I can always get a parking space for my car!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I might go and nick a couple of sandbags from the back of temp roadworks signs, see if I can fashion a weigh-down.

Failing that, I'll buy some panniers and fill 'em with concrete!

·
Premium Member
10,746 Posts
I might go and nick a couple of sandbags from the back of temp roadworks signs, see if I can fashion a weigh-down.

Failing that, I'll buy some panniers and fill 'em with concrete!
Paniers full of concrete:toothy10: very novel solution. You in any way connected to the Mafia?:toothy10:
Not sure if that would help,i had my twin blown over once,which is a bit heavier than your dommie. Unfortunatly she was blown into the neighbours fence:toothy9:which did not survive:angel10:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts