Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just come back from a very wet romford where i had a look at a @. She looks in good nick but!!!! there are signs that she has been down. nothing serious but scratches on the handle barends(both sides) and a small dent in the tank the size of maybe 2 two pound coins.the paint work is still ok on the dent no chip or flaking. The dealer wants 3750 for it. she is a 2002 and on 11000 miles.He said he would do the 12000 mile service and a new mot.
Does that sound ok? There are not a lot of @'s around it seems the one on e-bay wich was pointed out to me is from a dealer in shrewsbury i think it was and is a2003 with 6000 miles but he wants 4250 i think

·
Frodo's Half brother
1,215 Posts
Apart from the lived appearence of the bar ends is there anything else that stands out. Did you check the oil (colour etc), chain condition, What about under the bash plate? Tyres okay? Will you get a warranty as your buying it from a dealer? Are you paying cash? Tyres okay?

Basically what is your gut telling you about the deal?

·
Registered
364 Posts
When I had a slide courtesy of Mr Diesel the bike went down on its LHS. As well as a scratched bar end I also got scratches on the footpeg and the side-stand mount. Plastic was unscathed due to the fitting of crash bars the day before :?

If the bike had anything but a minor tumble I would have expected more signs than just on the bar ends. The dent in the tank could be from a knee? That MAY explain the lack of other damage if the previous owner's leg took the brunt of the impact. Just speculation though.

Tony

·
Registered
649 Posts
Personally, I would try and wait a while and see what else turns up. There has been a steady trickle of nice(non damaged) at's popping up for sale all through the winter on this site, biketrader, mcn and e-bay. I know it's really difficult not to buy the first one you see and it's easy for me to say as I've already got one.

The one on e-bay looks worth a look and isn't a bad price for year and mileage. Get up there and wave some £££'s under his nose, see how badly he wants to sell. It's the only bike he has listed on e-bay so may be looking to get shot to clear some room for the summer rush of xyzrrr6000's

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Many AT owners do take their bikes off-road which inevitebly leads to low speed spills which could easily account for the damage you've described. My bike's been down the road and had it's tank and side panels replaced but as far as I can determine there's no damage to the frame, meaning these bikes should be able to withstand low speed spills. Did you get a test ride? Is it possible to contact the previous owner? I'm in the Romford area but unfortunately won't be able to go round there before the weekend after this. Not that my technical skills are worth much...

I think it comes down to your gut feeling. If you're unsure it's probably better to walk away. There are a couple of good ATs on eBay at the moment.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4615547489
or
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4615722990

·
Registered
459 Posts
are there any aftermarket bit`s on it, center stand, scotoiller, top box,heated grips,if not try and barter some in with the price,fitted of course.

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,040 Posts
Outdoorman said:
I just come back from a very wet romford where i had a look at a @. She looks in good nick but!!!! there are signs that she has been down. nothing serious but scratches on the handle barends(both sides) and a small dent in the tank the size of maybe 2 two pound coins.the paint work is still ok on the dent no chip or flaking. The dealer wants 3750 for it. she is a 2002 and on 11000 miles.He said he would do the 12000 mile service and a new mot.
Does that sound ok? There are not a lot of @'s around it seems the one on e-bay wich was pointed out to me is from a dealer in shrewsbury i think it was and is a2003 with 6000 miles but he wants 4250 i think
What shop is it? If it's one of the Johns Of Romford, which address, Rush Green or London Road.

·
Huh?
2,328 Posts
MacP said:
Apart from the lived appearence of the bar ends is there anything else that stands out. Did you check the oil (colour etc), chain condition, What about under the bash plate? Tyres okay? Will you get a warranty as your buying it from a dealer? Are you paying cash? Tyres okay?

I need to type faster! :D

Cheers
-Simon

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
It's a bit strange that both bar-ends are scratched while the rest of the bike seems (almost) perfect. Are the footpegs and exhaust still fine (without looking spotlessly new in a suspect manner)? No scratches on the sides of the luggage-carrier (gets hit when an AT is dropped, unless panniers are fitted).

Maybe it is just that the previous owner had to squeeze the bike through a small door when parking it at home? Could also explain why both bar-ends are scratched. I've had bikes myself with that type of damage without ever dropping it.

If you really suspect the bike might have been in an accident is to see if the paint on any of the frame-welding has chipped (tends to burst under too much tension). Other thing to look out for are bent fork-legs: Massive as they may seem, they are actually made of really thin material to keep weight down and can get bent in even moderate crashes. It is almost impossible to see witout taking the thing apart (something not many dealers will appreciate) but a rough test is to try pushing the front-suspension completely down, and see if it comes back without any tendency to block (give or take a little bit of "natural" dust-seal stick-slip).

Good luck!

·
Frodo's Half brother
1,215 Posts
Slimie said:
MacP said:

I need to type faster! :D

Cheers
-Simon
Ha Ha Beat ya!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

·
Premium Member
10,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thaks for all the replys

Thanks again. Cant answer all right now ,got to go to work but will try to do so tonight when i get back

G

·
you can have mine for 4000 squid red white and blue 03 plate a bit of rust here and there new back tyre new chain and sprockets well looked after 1200 kilomerters on clock (IMPORT) oh yes new r/r fitted last month..............

·
Premium Member
10,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
New chain and sprocket after 1200km does not sound right?
import would not worry me,but does it have sevice history,ever been dropped,extras,mot, that sort of info would be interesting.

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts
c stillythemanwivno said:
you can have mine for 4000 squid red white and blue 03 plate a bit of rust here and there new back tyre new chain and sprockets well looked after 1200 kilomerters on clock (IMPORT) oh yes new r/r fitted last month..............
get some pics of this one sounds like you might get a bit more for yo cash :D

as for minor scrapes these bikes are pretty dam tough so i wouldnt let that worry you but with that damage it sounds like he's asking a bit over top dollar :twisted:

with patience you will get yourself a great bike try not to rush in dude :D

G

·
o flip n eck its also got a profesanal fitted "ABLETRONICS ABSOLUTE PROTEC " alarm insurance reconised ........ oooooo and that alarm comes with a pager that lets you know some one is trying to nik it ! ithink i paid 450 for it i have got all recipts .....

·
17,680 Posts
c stillythemanwivno said:
o flip n eck its also got a profesanal fitted "ABLETRONICS ABSOLUTE PROTEC " alarm insurance reconised ........ oooooo and that alarm comes with a pager that lets you know some one is trying to nik it ! ithink i paid 450 for it i have got all recipts .....
see dude its looking betterer and betterer :D

·
17,680 Posts
post a pic for him :D

·
Registered
317 Posts
Get on it and take it round the block; if any thing is bent it should show in the handling both low and high speed.
Check for new parts, ie continuity of colour throughout the bike, scratches on bar ends wouldn't worry me personally, neither would a small dent in the tank. How many owners has it had, ask to see the docs, then get in touch with the previous owner; he or she shouldn't have any qualms about giving you the low down on the bike. Check the spokes if its been hammered it could well have a few loose. Check the bash plate has it been pushed in and beaten out. Bearings would be another indicator has to how its been treated in the past, wheels and swinging arm.

If your still not happy, get the RAC to check it out, they do it for cars.

PK

1 - 20 of 31 Posts