Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cost me £1 for the earphones (the pound shop) and £25 for the silicone rubber from Hobbycraft, and I've got LOADS more siloncone rubber left, enough to make another 10 sets easily! See if the lads at work want me to make them some too.

Saved myself a fortune, they fit nice and snug, sound great and also keep the road noise out. I'm going to see how these go for a while and then maybe break open my tool set to see if I can butcher my bluetooth graphics which come with a mic to see if I can make a set of Bluetooth custom fitted plugs with mic....that's later though, really chuffed with my results so far though and thought I'd share them with y'all.

I will try to post some pics.

·
Premium Member
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My iphone spell checker managed to 'help' make my last post sound strange! I mentioned my bluetooth graphics! That should have been 'Bluetooth headset' :)

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Will be interested in the overall performance compared to the ultimate monitors.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
My iphone spell checker managed to 'help' make my last post sound strange! I mentioned my bluetooth graphics! That should have been 'Bluetooth headset' :)
You can edit your original post to correct any errors. The edit button is at the bottom of the post. Nice work by the way:thumb:

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
What are ultimate monitors?
They are specially made earplugs with built-in speakers, they are made by ultimate ear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
one of the lost boys
6,127 Posts
Nice work
although on the mic set up I would not bother, getting a noise cancelling mic to work at any speed is bloody hard work. I've been down the road with cheap coms and its soul destroying trying to talk through and the other person trying to understand.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Nice work
although on the mic set up I would not bother, getting a noise cancelling mic to work at any speed is bloody hard work. I've been down the road with cheap coms and its soul destroying trying to talk through and the other person trying to understand.
Pardon?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Nice work
i have a cheap viper rs-v121 bluetooth helmet. had quite a few calls, while on motorway (around 70mph) and apart from speaking a little slower, for the other end to understand, was really satisfied with the sound quality (i clearly understood what other end was saying, and the other end clearly understood, what i was saying).

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Nice - suppose the only difference is the type of silicon used and possibly the amount of inner ear area covered....these look fairly outer ear.

As for the noise cancelling....I couldnt get it to work either and gave up on it...infact using a phone only works at low speeds as they cant really hear you nor you them....slowing to about 40/50 works and then you can decide to pull over if its important.

Listening to music is a different matter. Perfect, as is satnav instructions.

·
Black Transalp ('54)
82 Posts
I used one of these Mini Clip-On A2DP Stereo Bluetooth Headset Headphones on eBay Connects fine with the Garmin & mobile phone.

Unsoldered the mic and brought a wire out and made up an adaptor to fit an Intaride In-Ear headset with noise cancelling boom mike. Again it worked OK but far too uncomfortable to use for long and they didn't seal out road noise very well.

I am too tight to fork out for the custom fit ear jobbies so may well give your method a try.

Reg

·
Premium Member
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Got any pics of your 'creation'? BTW, my earplugs performed amazingly on the way to work today (1 hour ride, mix of local roads and fast 85mph A roads), kept the road noise out and the music in and pumping. Bloody marvellous :thumbright:

·
Black Transalp ('54)
82 Posts
Try these:-

The adaptor I made from the mini-jack to the multi-pin headset is bigger than the bluetooth dongle.

BTW, I NEVER listen to music any more after the only one listening on a group ride went base over apex on diesel. We all smelled and saw it, he was oblivious - may just have been him though.

·
one of the lost boys
6,127 Posts
With the problems involved with noise canceling mics or just background noise on the move maybe the new bone conducting ears mics would be best for bikes, have a look at these, mainly for 2 way radios but I'm sure someone with skills could get one to work with a phone
Bone conducting Earpiece | skeleton Earpiece | Motorola Radio Earpiece | Bone conducting Earpieces | Earpiece

The military spec earpieces have the mic and speaker in the ear with a background noise mic to monitor outside noise and still protect the ears from hazardous levels. They're are expensive though

·
TV boffin
328 Posts
If you want to mould your own earplugs - either just as plugs, or over the top of iPod earbuds / etymotics / bone conduction speakermics:

I have had a lot of success with Radians earmould kits. I buy them from the Peters Plugs ebay shop. They come in various colours.

If you mould plugs over the top of earphones, you don't use much moulding goop so you can get at least 2 sets of plugs from a kit intended for 1 set. I have small ears so I get even more.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts