Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know some of you are thinking it but far too polite to say it...:D:D:D
My son called me today with some bad news about the carb he was going to ultrasound clean so I headed over to his work place and took my cylinder head with me to see if he could clean it before I strip it down to see whats up...
The carb is Donald ducked because the slide is worn as bad as the pistons were and so is the bore inside so we will have to get a replacement.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
The head was cleaned in the ultrasound bath for half an hour so I headed home to strip it down...
As I fully expected, one of the collets flew off across the room and I cant find the little blighter..angry9:angry9:angry9:
The valve seats were a little pitted but an hour with lapping paste sorted them out and they are now as they should be....:thumbup:
I will wait until the weekend until jnr comes over before putting it back together, maybe jnr can find the collet for me.;););)
So I have had my head examined and its in good shape apart from the missing collet...:angryfire::angryfire::angryfire:

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
I have a nice collection of vice grips as we call them hear in Ireland because that's what's written on the side of them usually ;) well the good ones like Erwin's . I got a pair of standard size Erwin's that are like brand new a slightly smaller pair of Erwin's that were hanging off a Honda civic I was let salvage parts off before it got crushed apart from a bit of over spray on it as new again they came in on the car so they wouldn't be missed . then a big heavy pair with rounded jaws I bought them cheap on a market stall years ago as a kind of stop gap but they have proved them self well handy and lasted well then a small pair about 5 inches long that are very strong and durable and only really used in hard to reach application's and a cheap pair of small long nosed vice grips they are a bit nasty and wobbly but they have their uses . I also have a nice collection of pliers even including a pair for ringing pigs but that's enough excitement for one day . :D tune in tomorrow folks where I will be talking about my pliers and on sunday I will talking about my g clamps including the rusty pair I found thrown away that were seized up and I free dead them up :thumbright:

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
My vice/mole grips belonged to my old man who liberated them and many other tools when he worked as a toolmaker in AC Delco in Liverpool..;););)
I just went for a 30 mile ride in the pouring rain because Jnr found a pinion wheel puller for sale on a facebook forum sorta locally so I went over and bought it from a nice bloke who used to have a Triumph Speed Twin which he rebuilt and then it got nicked so now he is into Harleys..
Monday , my clutch hub puller should be here so next week stay tuned for Scouse Vikings thrilling adventure into the internal organs of his Triumph mo mo bike, hopefully with some new photos of our progress....:D:D:D

·
Registered
941 Posts
..... :D tune in tomorrow folks where I will be talking about my pliers and on sunday I will talking about my g clamps including the rusty pair I found thrown away that were seized up and I free dead them up :thumbright:
cant wait until sundays episode, sounds like gripping stuff :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jnr took the gearbox apart today and was surprised how simple it was, I had him take a couple of photos for your enjoyment.:thumbup:

20526607_1889400927742582_539305115_n.jpg 20526514_1889400901075918_401084379_n.jpg 20504266_1889400921075916_686568221_n.jpg 20464591_1889400881075920_1366356438_n.jpg

I havnt found anything wrong so far that cant be fixed but that could change next week when I get the engine casings apart to check the crankshaft..
The camshafts are donald ducked so I think I will go with a pair of half race cams that will probably cost around £150 for the pair plus new bushes...;););)
The red metal cabinet cost me a fiver from our local red cross and that was including delivery..:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Watch this space for next weeks thrilling episode...:cool::cool::cool:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts