Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
but ive kind of got this idea see:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: and its going to cost a bit:p

but hear me out:angel9:

i really fancy another GS but a 1200adv but ive got to face facts im not going to be able to afford one for a bloody long time:(

so ive got to thinking two things that bug me about the vara:(

better bouncey stuff ie forks and rear shock getting it up in the air a bit

and de linking the brakes im sure there has got to be a way of doing this:confused: as this is the biggest single factor limiting this bike from tackling any trails etc with confidence

the weight of this bike really isnt an issue its not really any heavier than the @ or the GS not somthing i have a problem with

so give me a bit of feedback guys i love bouncing ideas off ya all:cool: :cool:

i would love to hear from the tech heads on this one ...jenna etc

how much do you think it would cost:D

·
Site Admin
2,420 Posts
I'm impressed Chad - this has got to be the longest time you've kept a bike standard before getting the itch.........:D :D

I look forward to the mass tinkering that is about to erupt on your Varadero..........:cheers:

·
Ex Vara Rider
446 Posts
I've had the same thoughts about the de-linked brakes for offroad but also think they're great for the road since they saved me in Holland.

I would like to fit some kind of valve that would stop/cut the flow between the front and rear calipers controlled by some kind of solenoid to control it at the psuh of a button. Not clue how to do it though, anyone more technical know how?

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,027 Posts
I've had the same thoughts about the de-linked brakes for offroad but also think they're great for the road since they saved me in Holland.

I would like to fit some kind of valve that would stop/cut the flow between the front and rear calipers controlled by some kind of solenoid to control it at the psuh of a button. Not clue how to do it though, anyone more technical know how?
Can't you turn the ABS off on ST1100s?

·
Registered
871 Posts
Chad

I have said it before and i will say it again. I rode a 1200ADV last year, it was crap, wandered about all over the place, jujst felt plain wrong. The standard GS1200 was far better like in a different league better.

I do not ride the Vara off road, but i must admit i think the linked brakes are bloody superb on road.

As regards suspension. Surely springs and maybe spacers front end would improve it and shock rear end with a ride adjuster that must be available or i am certain a man of your engineeriung capability Chad could knock one up.

·
17,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Chad

I have said it before and i will say it again. I rode a 1200ADV last year, it was crap, wandered about all over the place, jujst felt plain wrong. The standard GS1200 was far better like in a different league better.

I do not ride the Vara off road, but i must admit i think the linked brakes are bloody superb on road.

As regards suspension. Surely springs and maybe spacers front end would improve it and shock rear end with a ride adjuster that must be available or i am certain a man of your engineeriung capability Chad could knock one up.
i will let you know my opinion of the ADV soon as im booking a test ride:cool: :D

as for the vara if i do a conversion to it i want it to be a good one because i will be keeping it for a fookin long time:teeth:

·
17,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Will you use the Varadero offroad much when the Africa Twin is ready to go though? Or are you selling it?
its more a case of making the vara more capable..when im out or touring there will always be roads or tracks i will want to try but wont because of the varas set up....i mean full respect to guys like robster who do stuff like the stella on the vara ...but i just wouldnt fancy it:D ive hit some gravelly stuff on the vara and those linked brakes oooooh no fun:eek:

the vara is a cracking road bike but it could be a whole lot more this is what im thinking of....the AT will be for getting silly on the trails:D

·
17,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wheres the techys then comon guys where do you find this stuff;) is it a good idea:D

·
Mines a big red one
6,178 Posts
Chad

Personal taste, I preferred the ride to the standard 1200 GS

·
17,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Personal taste, I preferred the ride to the standard 1200 GS
it would seem obvious that the standard 1200GS would be a better prospect for the road as the adv has the longe travell suspention etc and isnt going to be as sure footed because of things like tyres etc..

but sheesh the ADV rocks my boat:cool: and you mom are better qualified than any of us to say what they are like as you've owned both:D

·
Registered
871 Posts
I agree a complete matter of personal taste. If the Adventure does it for you then brilliant. I have a full international FIM race licence and i raced bikes for years at a very high level. I learnt a bit about handling.

What i thought was wrong about the ADV was that you had huge long travel suspension, combined with shaft drive that gives the bike a lot of unsprung weight.

Under braking the weighshift was very noticeable, on acceleration added to a degree of s haft torque reaction the weightshift was also noticeable. Hit a rough road and the unsprung weight simply overcame the suspension capability, leading to a pretty poor ride.

After the test ride i jumped straight back on the Varadero and could not believe the difference, better Suspension and Engine and Gearbox.

A few years ago Chad i had a lot of money coming in and i allways had between 4 and 6 brand new bikes parked up in the garage. I was allways reading the magazines and chopping and changing. Over 25 bikes in 8 years. I realised that it was a complete waste of time, effort and money and now i simply enjoy the bike i have my old 1991 Africa Twin and my 2000 Varadero. Get onto the treadmill of constant change and you will never be happy.

I would like a new KTM Adventure but to me it is not worth £9,000. My old bikes cost me £3800 for both and will give me in reality just as much pleasure. Also soon as i bought the KTM something new would come out and i would want that. That is the problem the want never ends so you can never be satisfied. Now i let the want go and i am very satisfied.

Weird Eh ?

·
17,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I agree a complete matter of personal taste. If the Adventure does it for you then brilliant. I have a full international FIM race licence and i raced bikes for years at a very high level. I learnt a bit about handling.

What i thought was wrong about the ADV was that you had huge long travel suspension, combined with shaft drive that gives the bike a lot of unsprung weight.

Under braking the weighshift was very noticeable, on acceleration added to a degree of s haft torque reaction the weightshift was also noticeable. Hit a rough road and the unsprung weight simply overcame the suspension capability, leading to a pretty poor ride.

After the test ride i jumped straight back on the Varadero and could not believe the difference, better Suspension and Engine and Gearbox.

A few years ago Chad i had a lot of money coming in and i allways had between 4 and 6 brand new bikes parked up in the garage. I was allways reading the magazines and chopping and changing. Over 25 bikes in 8 years. I realised that it was a complete waste of time, effort and money and now i simply enjoy the bike i have my old 1991 Africa Twin and my 2000 Varadero. Get onto the treadmill of constant change and you will never be happy.

I would like a new KTM Adventure but to me it is not worth £9,000. My old bikes cost me £3800 for both and will give me in reality just as much pleasure. Also soon as i bought the KTM something new would come out and i would want that. That is the problem the want never ends so you can never be satisfied. Now i let the want go and i am very satisfied.

Weird Eh ?
YEH MY PROBLEM IS I HAVE THE WANT BUT NOT THE MEANS OF SATISFYING IT:D :D :D :D thats on of the reasons im looking into making some changes to the vara to take it closer to the ADV brief.. m thinking is
change the suspention and get rid of the linked brakes for say around £2-2500 grand or part ex the vara and throw 5or 6 grand at somthing new:eek: :eek:

somthing in me thinks the vara will be awsome with these changes:cool:

·
Registered
348 Posts
Yes I really like it, hope my numbers come up tonight :p

·
17,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
nice one dude ..both pages bookmarked for perusal later de-linking is now possible ..now all ive got to do is find the forks and rear shock now:cool: :cool: :cool:

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Not convinced de-linking is going to make a big difference. Mr Nice Guy's idea of turning off the links with a valve won't be simple: Each caliper has three pistons, one of which is operated from the "other end". Turn off the links and you'll get two-thirds the braking power... or is that a bad thing off-road?!?

A simpler approach would be to devise a "banjo" style link from each outer piston to the central piston. You'd be able to remove some plumbing then. Upgrading the suspension is feasible. I guess you'll need a specially fabricated sump plate. But what are you going to do about the the alloy wheels?

Here's an alternative solution. Can you find a front fork, wheel and brake set up from another bike that would slot straight in? If you can find forks of same diameter, everything below that (and the front brake master) could go over together. The rear would be more difficult as you'd want to retain the original swing arm; the replacement wheel's chain sprocket would have to line up with the gear box counter-shaft.

But think carefully about your ACTUAL requirements. If you want to make the occasional off-road excursion when touring, wouldn't off-road tyres and crash bars etc. do the job? Have a more dedicated trail bike for proper off-road rides.

·
17,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Not convinced de-linking is going to make a big difference. Mr Nice Guy's idea of turning off the links with a valve won't be simple: Each caliper has three pistons, one of which is operated from the "other end". Turn off the links and you'll get two-thirds the braking power... or is that a bad thing off-road?!?

A simpler approach would be to devise a "banjo" style link from each outer piston to the central piston. You'd be able to remove some plumbing then. Upgrading the suspension is feasible. I guess you'll need a specially fabricated sump plate. But what are you going to do about the the alloy wheels?

Here's an alternative solution. Can you find a front fork, wheel and brake set up from another bike that would slot straight in? If you can find forks of same diameter, everything below that (and the front brake master) could go over together. The rear would be more difficult as you'd want to retain the original swing arm; the replacement wheel's chain sprocket would have to line up with the gear box counter-shaft.

But think carefully about your ACTUAL requirements. If you want to make the occasional off-road excursion when touring, wouldn't off-road tyres and crash bars etc. do the job? Have a more dedicated trail bike for proper off-road rides.
been doing lots of thinking about this and think its going to be a toss up between a ktm or a gs later next yr as the biggest issue with this sort of work is you will never get your money back on the conversion and it would make it very hard to find the right buyer for a bike so drasticly changed..

so im going to continue to enjoy the vara for its many great qualitys for now:D :D

·
Mines a big red one
6,178 Posts
been doing lots of thinking about this and think its going to be a toss up between a ktm or a gs later next yr as the biggest issue with this sort of work is you will never get your money back on the conversion and it would make it very hard to find the right buyer for a bike so drasticly changed..

so im going to continue to enjoy the vara for its many great qualitys for now:D :D

warning Chad imposter, he's talking common sense:D :D

1 - 20 of 35 Posts