Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
SHW'MAE BUTT
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Schnitzer F800GS gets a custom-made exhaust, 17-inch wheels wearing Conti Race Attack rubber, and WP Suspension tuned for street use. While the bike certainly won’t be as capable off-road as the stock machine, on the street, it should be a bit special…

Costs about 8 but for 9 you can get a KTM 990 but that extra grand gives you only 13 more Break horsies.

·
Happy Bunny!
3,097 Posts
:DGot akras, 17" wheels, conti tyres, WP sussies and it was only 7k.:D

13hp is a lot in real terms, what weight is the gs ?. :confused:

If they are going to try this against a "real":D bike, fetch me the 990 SM.:eek:. rode one on my last service and that is an animal.:thumbup::D:D:D

·
one of the lost boys
6,127 Posts
:DGot akras, 17" wheels, conti tyres, WP sussies and it was only 7k.:D

13hp is a lot in real terms, what weight is the gs ?. :confused:

If they are going to try this against a "real":D bike, fetch me the 990 SM.:eek:. rode one on my last service and that is an animal.:thumbup::D:D:D
Have to agree with Stan that beemer is not stock I reckon the stock 990SM would wupits-ass

·
Top Cat
1,636 Posts
Costs about 8 but for 9 you can get a KTM 990 but that extra grand gives you only 13 more Break horsies.
The Orange One would get my vote. Power ain't everything.

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
The supermoto should woop it it designed for that in mind geometry an all. Trouble is with you KTM boys is you just hate seeing class:D

·
Gold Member - Yeah baby
156 Posts
This is a no brainer...

TBM Magazine quotes this as ..."the spiritual successor to the much loved Africa Twin"

I'd rather have this than the BMW any day.

It looks chuffin awesome!!!

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
This is a no brainer...

TBM Magazine quotes this as ..."the spiritual successor to the much loved Africa Twin"

I'd rather have this than the BMW any day.

It looks chuffin awesome!!!

Reel them in:D, Its a marketing ploy by KTM . It will break:thumbup:

·
SHW'MAE BUTT
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
True the KTM 990 has been mentioned in the same sentance as the Africa twin, but lets wait 10 years to see if its still named. The GS 800 does push nall the buttons btu unfortunatly there aren't that many around for people to comment on :D

·
In search of 7th gear!
933 Posts
I've read mixed reviews on the 800GS... I loved the bike when I first laid eyes on it, but I have to say that I like KTM more and more each time I see it...

If I don't get another tiger after this one (another 955, no 1050 for me) it'll be an Adventure... Probably a 990, but if the 690 does long distances well, i may go back to singles (since I'm not anymore, my bike might as well be)

:D:D

JB

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
O yes the 690 is a great looking bike, mind does it have too much power for off road, 67 bhp??? If using road is the seat good enough, I dont think so!! Can it be fitted with screen for protection. Did see a 690 with touratech panniers at their open day and it looked good.
And does it need lots of engine work after a few miles???
Still pipping it is a G650 X challenge:D

·
In search of 7th gear!
933 Posts
phil w said:
O yes the 690 is a great looking bike, mind does it have too much power for off road, 67 bhp??? If using road is the seat good enough, I dont think so!! Can it be fitted with screen for protection. Did see a 690 with touratech panniers at their open day and it looked good.
And does it need lots of engine work after a few miles???
Still pipping it is a G650 X challenge:iconbiggrin:
My DR800 has 62 HP and that's plenty. Only problem is long distances on-road. The wind protection isn't very good upwards of 50mph.

Is the 690 adventure out then? I haven't seen it yet... Or do you mean the Rallye replica?

JB

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
No 690 I mean the enduro, dont even think of any Dakar/Adv coming out before 2010 so the chaps on the stand at Dirt Bike Show were saying:(

·
Registered
177 Posts
Yeah, that Schnitzer 800 is up against the SM or the SM-T, rather than the Adv and frankly, in that company, my money's on Orange every time.:blob5:

·
In search of 7th gear!
933 Posts
No 690 I mean the enduro, dont even think of any Dakar/Adv coming out before 2010 so the chaps on the stand at Dirt Bike Show were saying:(
Ah...

I'm quietly hoping they'll bring out the Rallye they presented for Dakar recently. Mind you, I can't afford to buy it, but it would still be nice to have something to drool over that's actually available to buy.

**thread hijack has now completed, back to gushing over the 800GS**

JB

·
Tropical Member
2,037 Posts
Well for me at least, it was either the Beamer 800 or the Adventure, my personal opinion mind, but I think I made the right choice. Only the @ has ever captured my heart as much as the Adventure has. :sunny:
Yes, I've ridden alot of Beamers in my time, eg. 1150R/1150GSA/1200GS/ 1200GSA etc, as my best mate here is a BMW nut, (and despite being Canadian, he's otherwise pretty harmless!):D
Didn't like the gearboxes on any of them really, handling okay, comfy yes, but seemingly rather on the heavy side.:(
I've read alot of mixed reviews on the 800, some glowing and some not so, unfortunately it all helped to sow the 'seeds of doubt' about them for me.:rolleyes:
The 800 still isn't available in this country, maybe summer next year and the price they're gonna charge for it is nothing short of outrageous, but "whatever floats your boat, folks"!:D

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think I can add something useful to this post. I own a BMW F800GS, which I traded in a KTM 990SM for, so I have had experience of both. Both have their plus points and minus points, but here's a summary.

F800 - very comfy but suffers from vibes. Engine is boring but does nothing badly, just does not excel at anything. Exceptional on fuel, I have managed 280 miles on one tank which is almost unbelievable. Remus stainless exhaust fitted, which makes little as no diference to performance, just a lot of noise, and it is road legal.

KTM 990SM - seat is hard as nails, you can't do long distance on this without some extra padding. Not sure what the SMT is like though, but would like to find out. Thirsty engine and expensive to service. Kills tires if you play with it, and you will not be able to avoid playing, it's that much fun. Handling is like nothing I've ridden before, no matter how hard you push, it just gets on with it, far better capabilities than me. Brakes are phenominal. The engine is the real star, eager, responsive, lovely noise and quick. It will hammer an F800 on any roads (except dirt perhaps) and I have hammered several 1200 GS's too.

In retrospect, it was a mistake to change, but the 800 is better at distance, that's it. I might change back to the SMT if I can get a good test ride.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts