Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Deer Dodger
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it started off after a couple of shandies with the dragon late Friday night-- let's go to Iona on the bike she says. Quick phone call the next day, B&B sorted, bike packed and away 8am Sunday.
Went down A82, abolutely brilliant, not a car on the road. Got as far as Spean Bridge and the heavens opened ( typical of lochaber :mad: )
Caught the Corran ferry to Ardgour and went on to catch the ferry at Lochaline, still pishing down.
Met up with a couple of guys at the " ferry terminal " and just as we got on the ferry, the sun burst out great style -- hurrahhhhh

Crossing wasn't too bad

My old digs, Lochaline Hotel, taken from the ferry

Arrived on Mull, sunshine all the way.
Spotted a rather odd passing place sign

Not sure if it's only on Argylle and Bute ? Haven't been on Mull during daylight hours :D

Dropped the bike off at the b&b at Fionnhport. The guy impressed me when I phoned to book --- Motorbike ? ok, I'll leave a couple of bits of wood for your stand as we have a gravel path.I won't be there, but just let yourself in :thumbup:

Sure enough, when we arrived, two little bits of nicely varnished wood lying against the gable end.

Looking due east from the ferry going to Iona.
No pics of bike --- no vehicles allowed on the island except by prior arrangement , eg if you have to deliver goods or are living on the island.

The Abbey from the ferry

Iona "high street"

Georgeous hunk standing beside St John's cross -- not bad for 600 AD :D

Inside the Abbey itself. The workmanship in the fine detail is oustanding, given they used raw materials from the island.

Thought this was the post office :rolleyes:

Wrong --- this is, not much better but still functional and kinda cute

We went over on the Sunday and again on the Monday. Monday had now turned into gale force type winds. Ferry made an interesting ro-ro on Mull :D:D

And finally on the Nether Lochaber side of the Corran Ferry.
Again, traffic not too bad on the way home.

Too conclude, I would say that if anybody has not visited this amazing island then you should do so. As those guys that know me will testify -- I am not a particularly religious person , but I have to say I was blown away by the serenity and tranquility of this place, unlike any other western island I have visited, and there have been a few !!

There are drawbacks at this time of year, hordes of tourists/pilgrims, the trick is to go on the island either early or late, as we did, and avoided all the rush hour traffic.
The ferry costs £4.10 return, passenger only

I would like to pass on my love and best wishes to my better half for making it a weekend to remember and to Mr Honda for making a motorcycle that I can honestly say is the best bike I have owned for a considerable number of years. The old girl never missed a beat all weekend ( the bike that is :D:D )

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
That's an amazing place,(forgive me for my ignorance of Scotland) Would that have been a shortish run for you ? I'd love to find a place like that just around the corner from home ! :)

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
that looks like a stunning scenery.:thumbup:

·
Hill Rider
3,089 Posts
Nice to see that you remembered to take a camera :rolleyes:

Ace photo's - 600AD - you dont look a day over 500 :D

Now, get back to work and scout some more trails for the National :thumbup:

·
Deer Dodger
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's an amazing place,(forgive me for my ignorance of Scotland) Would that have been a shortish run for you ? I'd love to find a place like that just around the corner from home ! :)

Hi Nick,

How are you healing ?

It'a about a 4 1/2 hr run from Inverness, but you have to catch three ferries to get there, so it really depends on times arriving at the ferry.
The guys on the ferry generally wave you on if your on a bike, so no problems with missing a boat.

see you soon :thumbup:

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
God's own country without a doubt. Looks beautiful.

A bit of a long way for me to pop over.:(

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Hi Nick,

How are you healing ?

It'a about a 4 1/2 hr run from Inverness, but you have to catch three ferries to get there, so it really depends on times arriving at the ferry.
The guys on the ferry generally wave you on if your on a bike, so no problems with missing a boat.

see you soon :thumbup:

Great thanx :thumbright: (except for the med's effect and being stuck at home watching TV adverts for personal injury lawyers all day :D)

So a bit of a trip for you too,lovely place though :thumbright: .........Oh I wish I could get out of London right now ! :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts