Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all at xrv.org, :thumb:
Great site have spent ages looking around, so its about time i put in a post.
My name is ian walker i live in a small village called shebbear in north devon, my trusty ride is a 1988 honda transalp, never let me down but thats good old honda build for you.
I trust the bike so much that on the 23rd june 2007 i am riding alone the 4800 miles around the coast of mainland britain to raise funds for the devon air ambulance trust i plan to complete it in 14 days and camping all the way round, no hotels etc, so maybe i will meet some of you along the way.
all the best and take care all,
ian.
www.bikersassociationofnorthdevon.co.uk
www.justgiving.com/coastride2007

·
Registered
10,746 Posts
Welcome, if you post a route and some dates maybe some of us could ride with you for some of the way to keep you company :lol: :lol:

·
Premium Member
9,523 Posts
Ian this gets the sites full support, as a devonian for most of my life I've seen what the air ambulance can do many times.

If you give us details of your itinerary I'm sure we'll get people meeting you and riding with you.

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts
yes i for one will try to yag along with you when you pass this way

ride safe fella and welcome to the site :thumb:

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
MANY THANKS FOR YOUR SUPPORT,
I was supprised when i logged on to see this thread so once again thank you. i have put down a bit of how this run came to be and whats happened so far in my blog and will try to keep it up to date, did a interview with BBC radio devon today and it went out at 5.50 so very pleased with that.
take care all and thank you, hope to meet some of you on my travels,
cheers, ian :D :thumb: :thumb:

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When reading though some old posts i saw that whealie was selling some items with the XRV.ORG.UK logo on them. Is he still selling them and also it would have been nice if there was a large sticker for sale with the logo that i could put on the bike on the way round give the site a bit of puplicity etc then any press photos would feature the logo on the front of the bike. if any one knows if the Ts etc are still for sale please let me know,
cheers, ian :thumb:

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts
shonasdad said:
When reading though some old posts i saw that whealie was selling some items with the XRV.ORG.UK logo on them. Is he still selling them and also it would have been nice if there was a large sticker for sale with the logo that i could put on the bike on the way round give the site a bit of puplicity etc then any press photos would feature the logo on the front of the bike. if any one knows if the Ts etc are still for sale please let me know,
cheers, ian :thumb:
let me know what size stickers you want for the bike and what colour i'll have a word with morgan designs and get some made up for you :thumb:

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
nice if there was a large sticker for sale with the logo that I could put on the bike on the way round
getting the logo on stickers was too expensive. There are some small (perfectly visible) stickers available - look throughthe For Sale section as I didn't do those, or you can get some made up yourself.
I can get clothing still.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
New panniers added to the bike today, made the frames ourselves out of 20mm box, because they are oversize frames had to make up some spacers for the fitting kit but look good now they are fitted.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
I love the bike's colour scheme, mate. It looks similar to some early Africa Twins - very "80s Dakar"! Best of luck with the tour. Make sure you post a rough itinerary with dates. If it's OK with you I expect a few people would like to join up with you for some sectors of your ride. E.g. I imagine some South Wales riders would accompany you around the South - West Wales coast.

·
Top Cat
1,636 Posts
Just another post to say don't forget to publish details of your route.

I live close to Norwich, so am handy for most of the coast of Norfolk. I can give you some advice on campsites if you need and will try to join you if I'm not stuck at my desk when you're passing.

Good luck with your trip.

PS. I've had no experience of a helicopter ambulance but my Dad was once picked up by Norfolk's Mountain Rescue Land Rover

PPS. This is no joke - they had it on trial for the beaches, but it still had "Mountain Rescue" down the sides.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks a lot dilbert, its nice that the justgiving site is up and running now because i am running out of sponsorforms back here, so again a big THANK YOU. :teeth: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have the route worked out so as soon as i get it back, as the lady who is doing a bit of promotions for me has got the route plan at the moment, i will let you all know when i get it back, i don't know were i will be stopping from day to day it all depends on distance covered and if i want to push on for a few more hours, but i will do my best to meet up with as many of you as i can on the way round. I will be leaving the OLD UNION INN at STIBB CROSS, DEVON at 13.00 on the 23rd june, from there i will make my way to bideford via the A388 and picking up the coast from there via INSTOW, BARNSTAPLE, BRAUNTON, SAUNTON, CROYDE, WOOLACOMBE, ILFRACOMBE,COMBE MARTIN, THEN ACROSS EXMOOR VIA TRENTISHOE, MARTINHOE, WOODY BAY, VALLEY OF THE ROCKS, LYNTON, LYNMOUTH THEN FOLLOWING THE A38 TO PORLOCK AND MINEHEAD, WATCHET AND ON TO BRIDGEWATER AND ON TO WESTERN SUPERMARE don't know if i will get much futher on the first day as i only have half a day, would like to get into southwales if possible if not it will be a early start on day two, but that will be day one.
When on the run my wife will keep the post up to date and post were i will be passing though day by day, she will also keep the blog upto date.
take care all,
ian. :thumb:

M

·
0 Posts
What might be a good way to help Ian is to let him have your contact details in case he needs any practical help along the way. ie spares, repairs, garage services a place to stay etc. I will PM with my details in case he needs any help/support although I am on the first day of his journey, but you never know.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts