Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, today I spent the morning fitting heated grips, repair to the throttle cable adjuster, fix the water in the petrol tank issue due to a choked drain pipe and final cleaning of the 97 BMW F650ST I've bought as a winter hack. Once complete, had a cup of soup then got changed into my gear and took the Ickle Beemer for its first run.
I set off from Elgin after fuelling at Asdas, heading south towards Rothes, A roads for the first few miles just in case of "problems"! A few bursts up to 80, seems to run and pull ok. Right turn just before Craigellachie and up past my favourite distillery, The MacAllan, quick photo stop then on to Knockando. A right turn at Knockando and up over the hill towards Dallas. A jaunt offroad to try out the tyres and suspension followed by another photo stop!
Down into Dallas and a left turn towards Rafford. I noticed Brian, one of the engineers I work with was at home, so quick run up his track to his farmhouse for a cuppa! A chat and a brew, then onwards to Rafford. Down into Forres then towards the coast by Kinloss, photo stop with the MRA2 Nimrod then on to Burghead for another photo stop with an old trawler down the harbour. Along the coast to Lossiemouth then home to Elgin.
Ok. that's the route, the bike performed so-so. Flat out so far would appear to be 90 prone, a few misses, possibly caused by the water in the fuel which was repaired this morning. This may be holding up the top end, we'll see! One wheelie, those who know me will be concerned by this! Yes, one wheelie, and clutch induced! I'm hoping it's a fuelling issue and will be resolved! Too much revs seemed to be running it out of fuel so possible room for improvement. Handlingwise, for knobblies (TKC's) it seemed to handle just fine, no pegs down but quite a lean angle and not a single ""moment"! Offroad, nothing too serious, no hanging tails as yet but it will come with confidence in the bike. Suspension's quite road oriented and it shows, but after running the mighty Varadero at least it's lighter!
Ok, final impression, the Showa suspension, similar to the mighty Vara, is second to none in my book, the bike feels planted and confidence inspiring, pegs down in the dry no probs. Torque feels good, strong pull and hopefully even better performance once fuelling is sorted out. Overall, this is a fine bike, it won't set the heather on fire (unless I fall off and petrol leaks out!) but I will recommend the bike for anyone looking for a workhorse that will take you anywhere, within reason, carry anything and put a smile on your face on the twisties.
Compared to Fiona's 06 GS it seems down on power, top speed and inability to wheelie off the throttle! It does handle as good if not better, which is good as Fiona has road tyres in comparison. The gearbox is far slicker on the ST, I'd stick my neck out and say the ST is the better bike to ride on the road.
As a Honda rider and fan, this is my first encounter with BMW, I can't speak for newer bikes, but the old BMW F650ST is a well put together bike, the stainless spokes keep the wheels looking good. The overall condition of the bike is very good for its age, showing very good build quality. A bland power delivery compared to most but still a damned good motorcycle!
Pics to follow.

·
Should know better
2,980 Posts
Interesting ride report, Jim, thanks. Looking forward to the pics :thumbup:.

·
SHW'MAE BUTT
3,270 Posts
Jim spot on bike report, but where are the pictures, and was is really only one wheely.:D:D:D:D
It wont be long before your converted to the dark side for sure.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's the Ickle Beemer at one of my favourite locations, the MacAllan Distillery!

And here's the beast having its first offroad trek in the hills above Dallas, that's Dallas Morayshire, not Texas! LOL!
And yes, that's snow on the hills in the background!

·
May Contain Nuts
2,350 Posts
Jim,

did you drain the carbs of water too?

my 650 had a few running problems and there was water in the carb bowls, there's a screw on each bowl to drain them

also if it's got the original Beru plug caps on ditch them for some NGK ones as the originals were useless after a while

1 - 5 of 5 Posts