·
Administrator
7,169 Posts
Strangely, my 1988 rd03 also starts with a "1" both frame and engine
Frame:RD03-1000###
Engine:RC31E-1006###
Anyone any idea of origin?
I bought used in 1990.
From my (bad) memory, I have a feeling any VIN with a 1 prefix, indicates a Japanese market bike.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Wondering if anyone has encountered this issue in importing a RD03....

The MVD(motor vehicle department) is saying my VIN on the frame plate and the stamped into the neck don't match and here's why. The HM at the beginning of the stamp.
20170720_103344x.jpg 20170720_103318x.jpg

I tried to convince them that the HM meant Honda Motor and was not part of the VIN. :pain10::violent1:

I've searched everywhere on the interwar for proof of that. Anyone ever see this and if so, is there documentation somewhere that verifies that? HELP!!!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Wondering if anyone has encountered this issue in importing a RD03....

The MVD(motor vehicle department) is saying my VIN on the frame plate and the stamped into the neck don't match and here's why. The HM at the beginning of the stamp.
View attachment 116466 View attachment 116474

I tried to convince them that the HM meant Honda Motor and was not part of the VIN. :pain10::violent1:

I've searched everywhere on the interwar for proof of that. Anyone ever see this and if so, is there documentation somewhere that verifies that? HELP!!!
Maybe they want some money "under the table" to be convinced...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I own 2 RD03. Both models of 1988.
One of the Japan market with frame no:
rd2.jpg

and the other one of the Europe market with frame no:
rd1.jpg

As you can see the way of writing differs.

Your RD03 is a 1989 model for the Europe market.
Maybe in 1989 Honda changed the way of writing the frame No.

I suppose that you can ask from Honda headquarters in your country to certify the frame no of your bike...

·
Registered
28 Posts
I own 2 RD03. Both models of 1988.
One of the Japan market with frame no:
View attachment 116482

and the other one of the Europe market with frame no:
View attachment 116490

As you can see the way of writing differs.

Your RD03 is a 1989 model for the Europe market.
Maybe in 1989 Honda changed the way of writing the frame No.

I suppose that you can ask from Honda headquarters in your country to certify the frame no of your bike...
Thanks for those pictures. It's interesting how they did the stampings differently. Clearly the box with the x is a "separator", but the MVD people here don.t seem to care for trying to use common sense.

I already contacted Honda Japan motorcycle service yesterday and they are going to write a letter explaining that the HM is not part of the VIN. When they get around to it is anyone's guess.:D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for this useful info. I have an RD03 with frame number starting with RD03-1000 and engine number starts with RC31E-100 and I have been trying to trace its origin. :thumbright:

·
Registered
28 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Does the Japanese bike have a VIN tag on the side of the frame that matches? Just curious.
JDM models don't have a VIN tag on the frame, the rivets that hold the tag are there but no tag, frame no range should be RD03-1000001 to RD03-1000500.

I bought the last available VIN tag 87501-MS8-610, I ordered two incase it got messed up when getting the number stamped but there was only one left.

I haven't bothered getting it stamped or fitted.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you want to sell one of your VIN tag i would be interested as the powder coaters took my one off to get a better finish, by the time i realised 3 months later it was lost gutted.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts