Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
finally got the thing back together and found a tank rubber on the floor........start again.............get it all together again..........didnt check the plugs......aaaaaaaaaaaaargh!!

sorry guys but what socket size are the plugs as its all together now and i cant get the vernier in!!!

I'll get my coat :blob5:

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
Doesn't really matter what size they are, because if you don't have the Honda sparkplug tool, you won't be able to get them out.

Wemoto sell them, make sure you have one in your tool kit.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks but i want to buy a long socket and mill it down like others have done as the mild steel ones are crappy...

anyone know what size:confused:

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
Hmmmm seems like a lot of effort for occasionally undoing a spark plug :confused:

Sorry, not completely sure of the sparkplug size, but one of the other XRV anoraks will be along with an answer soon hopefully.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea maybe your right.........i'll get a life and just buy one from wemoto..

ta

·
Registered
7 Posts
Plugs are 18mm.

Use the Honda tool. Easiest way. I bought new one from Honda dealer after losing the original. Cost 6 euros.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
I have a Halfords Professional tool kit but still use the original plug spanner by choice, it makes life easier and as they only need changing rarely it is not worth trying to make another socket fit. I tried that once with the CX and it was a PITA.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what a numpty....

just went for a 20 mile blat in the evening sun and after a bit of a rough start all was well but then the idle left up to 2000rpm ?? I ha recently taken the slack out of the cables so although i thought it odd that it didnt do it on start up i carried on......got home and the bike was getting a bit hotter than the ice cool it normally is untill the fan kicked in,, At least that works.....even the facet pump was hot??

having a poke around i noticed i had left off the lower hd lead on the front cylinder :confused: (im gonna have to re register under a different username at this rate!!

so do you think i may have done anything nasty?? i guess this would make the engine run hotter??? just sounded a bit noisy after i noticed but i guess thats the "ive done something stupid paranoia"

i'll get my coat again........:confused:

·
Born to Slide
1,741 Posts
Ou won't have done any damage on such a short run as the at has 2 plugs so the fuel was being burnt. If there was no plug at all then neat fuel would have washed down the bores and that can cause premature wear.

Tip - when you do a job make a checklist of things taken off and so to put back ;-)

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
Fixing things that aren't broken is never a good idea!!

There should be some slack in the throttle cables, so perhaps put a bit back in unless you want to be kangaroo'ing next time you're filtering through traffic or riding off-road.

Did you drain or top up the coolant? If so, did you make sure you got all the air out of the system?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hi again,

no havnt touched the coolant and normally runs cool. in fact when i bought it i thought the temp guage was broken untill i sat in traffic.

Future reference how would you get the air oot the water system? sounds like you have a teckiniki up your sleeve. i suspect the coolant could be looked at as its blue in the top up and green in the top of the rad so a good flush wouldnt hurt.

cheers.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
The best way to remove air from the coolant is to remove the radiator cap before starting the engine and run the bike until it warms up.
as the water is pumped around the system the air finds its way out, then top back up and replace the cap and run, Now you just need to check the expansion tank level.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts