Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Those of us who've been into biking for a while have probably owned a certain number of bikes.

My recent TA purchase amounted to no.20 for me since I started riding in 1993.

I have bought and sold bikes and some have left more of a mark than others.

So, if storage and money were no object, and you could have any one of your old bikes back, in the condition you sold it, which would it be, and why?

As OP, I should give mine and being a typical indecisive bugger I can't decide which model, so I'll take OP privilege and name two:

My T reg TL1000S, that I sold a year after buying it new (the only bike I've ever ordered new) with 8k miles on the clock: It was just too expensive for me to run at that time, being 25.

Why that? The bike remains one of the best looking I have ever seen, the engine suited my riding stiyle like a glove and I frankly loved riding it. I've had great bikes since, but none quite evoked the same exhilaration when ridden hard, nor the simple contentment when ridden civilly!

Or

My H reg Honda CB-1.
By comparison, being a full 80 bhp behind the TL, and being a revvy 4, the bike was a very different animal. Yet somehow, Honda had made a fantastic bike: everything was efficient and purposeful with simple but pleasing looks, and if you picked your gears well, it made excellent progress. Such a brilliantly balanced bike!! Proof, if any were needed, that power does not mean better...

My 1150GS almost made it in there, but that niche is already filled by the TA at this stage.

So over to you.

Given my lack of discipline shall we say either 1 or two candidates, not more, and ultimately one of them for your stables....?

D

·
0 Posts
I should have kept my 1979 Honda CB125 twin (WHO200V). Fast for its size, extremely quick off the mark, never went wrong, cheap to run hurtled down the Bournemouth spur road at 70 easily, cut through traffic and it was black, with twin clocks and cable front disk and those wheels were so cool and.....:love4:

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
i'm with davedixon mine was silver (xrp227s). what a cracking 125 fast, sleek,comfortable, why did they stop making them. i've recently been looking at buying one as a project. i seem to remember only getting off the to sleep :D:D

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
MTX125! the first bike i had on the road,never had the money for a moped.

mind you i do have an MTX200 now which is the same model and colour but you never forget your first love eh?

and seeing as we can choose two bikes the other would have to be the VF500F2F lovely bit of kit!

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
The trick is NOT to sell the ones you love!

I've always dabbled with bikes and started like many with a Yamaha FS1E at the pubescent age of 16, thinking I was Kenny Roberts. I went on to regret selling that fizzy!

I carried on with various two wheeled love affairs intermittently until passing my bike test in 1995, when I'd already promised myself, that if I did pass first time, I'd have to buy a Ducati.

Here's my list; (Green I still have, Red I've sold)

Yamaha FS1E (LHV 69P where are you, daddy wants you back!!)
Honda MTX80
Honda C90
Vespa 90
Lambretta Li150 (series 1)
Ducati 748sp
MV Agusta F4
BSA C15
Africa Twin RD03
BMW F650
Africa Twin RD04
Africa Twin RD04
KTM 640 Adventure R
Africa Twin RD03 (in boxes!)
XL600LMF
Transalp 600
Africa Twin RD03
Africa Twin RD07a

Some run, some don't, some are tucked away for sunny days, some get left out in the snow. Some are begging restoration, others are fine as they are.

I'd rather sell my body, car, house, than my bikes ;)

Bob :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's my list; (Green I still have, Red I've sold)

But you didn't answer the question!! :rolleyes:

One from the reds and why...

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
But you didn't answer the question!! :rolleyes:

One from the reds and why...

I did, but I didn't make myself clear.

I want my Yamaha FSIE back, it was my first "bike", I was a teenager, and it was my first sniff at freedom and "roads that took you to places the bus couldn't". I had my first full blown snog (with a girl!!) and my first full blown bike rumpy pumpy (again with a girl!!) on it!

It was a yellow FS1E DX, so it had a disc brake. I fitted RD50 mag wheels in black, cut down the the mudgaurds, took off the indicators, made my own cut down number plate, and fitted a smaller rear light. I fitted some dropper handlebars that made it look like it had clip-ons, and best of all it had a matt black All-Speed exhaust which all of my neighbours hated when I tried to bump start the thing at 6 in the morning. I got an old boy in Eden Park in Kent to polish all the ports and took a very light skim off the head, and it would easily (from memory) do 70mph and stop with that front disc. (I was somewhat less lardier in those days though!!)

So there you go, my earliest biking nirvana!

LHV 69P (or possibly MHV 69P) I want you back, come to Daddy!!!

:toothy3:

·
Captain unsensible.......
2,553 Posts
in line with our resident deviant BobA's reply -

Suzuki GSXR1300 Hayabusa
KTM 250 EXC
2 x Honda Transalp 600- 1 Still owned
Honda transalp 650
2 x Honda XRV 750 - 1 Still owned
Yamaha TTR 600
Kawasaki KDX 125
Cagiva Super city 125
2 x Yamaha DT125R
Ducati monster 600
Yamaha TDR 250
3 x Kawasaki ZXR 400
Kawasaki ZX9R
2 x Yamaha XTZ750 Super Tenere - 1 Still owned
Yamaha FZR 1000 Exup
Yamaha XT660Z Tenere
Aprillia 125 habana scooter
Kawasaki ZXR750 J1
Honda XLV 750 R
Triumph 1050 Tiger
Suzuki SV650S

I wish I still had my old XRV - I covered 179,000 miles and always regretted selling it, and at some stage I would love another ZXR 400.

In the future I will own a BMW , a custom of some sort, and a 600 sports bike......oh and the new VFR 1200....

·
Stone Crazy
5,310 Posts

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had my first full blown snog (with a girl!!) and my first full blown bike rumpy pumpy (again with a girl!!) on it!

Slightly concerned that the (with a girl) bit needed clarifying.

Are you implying that you have abused your bikes by other means than ringing the throttle of them?!?

By the way, in order to withstand all that canoodling on you little Yam, did the sidestand need some sort of buttressing?

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
I think I have owned 14 bikes since 1976 with a 10 year rest from the mid 90s to mid noughties. I can't be arsed to list them but there's 3 I would like to try again: RD350YPVS, Guzzi V50 Monza, and a BMW R80ST. IF I had to pick one it would easily be the RD. Brilliant bikes. But the TA Is very hard to beat.

·
chicken chaser
1,554 Posts
11 bikes for me since i passed my test eons ago

would have liked to have kept these two....:cool:

passed my test on a suzuki gp100 and went straight to this :cool:

bought one of these 3 years later....

had a funny taste in bikes back then

:D:D

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
That XS1100 pictured - that would be the Martini special. God I lusted after one of those. :cool:

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
bought one of these 3 years later....

That's the one with the crummy starter motor, right? :p

Got a clip tucked away somewhere of somebody trying to start one of those, sounds like putting someone in a stick shift car for the first time, but I'm told that's normal for these. ;-)

·
Commuter Extraordinaire
468 Posts
Had a load of bikes since starting out at 16 on a Puch GP sports moped - the one I'd have again is a Suzi GT500A....a big, simple, low-revving 2-stroke twin (bought new in '77 for £666 otr).

·
chicken chaser
1,554 Posts
That XS1100 pictured - that would be the Martini special. God I lusted after one of those. :cool:
no it's an XS1100S they also did a midnight special for the us market :cool:
only difference was it had gold chrome...

this is a martini special

That's the one with the crummy starter motor, right? :p

Got a clip tucked away somewhere of somebody trying to start one of those, sounds like putting someone in a stick shift car for the first time, but I'm told that's normal for these. ;-)
yup thats right but i cured mine :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
BSA Goldstar 500.

Stupidly sold it for a Triumph Bonneville 650 that turned out to be a pile of trouble and was actually a converted Thunderbird. And so it goes.

Long, long tome ago.

Still got (most) of a 1959 Royal Oilfield 350 Bullet in my shed - one day....

·
chicken chaser
1,554 Posts
Had a load of bikes since starting out at 16 on a Puch GP sports moped - the one I'd have again is a Suzi GT500A....a big, simple, low-revving 2-stroke twin (bought new in '77 for £666 otr).

when i was 17 i had a lusting for a GT380 at only £399 otr new

:cool::cool:

·
Xi dwejjaq member
921 Posts
Re: If I could turn back time ... two wheeled nostalgia

hmmmn ...

Gpz900rA1 & 350Elsie

What's that ?

I've still gott'em, you say !

Golly ... have I cracked the Nostalgia/Time Warp equation ?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts