Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just sounding out opinions, really...

Out this morning, engine cut out and wouldn't fire up again. Good charge in the battery, plenty of fuel (half a tank, give or take) but the last few weeks my tacho has been taking 2 or 3 minutes to start working.

I took off the side panels and seat, pulled out the CDI and twatted it a couple of times, wiggled the connector blocks and the bike fired up straight away.

The connectors LOOK ok, but do I risk giving them a thorough clean and hope? Or pre-empt any future problems by buying an Ignitech and knowing that any potential future problems are hopefully eliminated?

BTW I should say that since my Reg/Rec died last year (and killed my Motobatt at the same time) the OEM CDI does seem to have been not running as it should (occasionally not firing the tacho, and seems to only fire one cylinder until the bike has warmed up after 2 or 3 minutes).

Any thoughts appreciated... :)

·
Registered
265 Posts
simon, my twin did similar to yours before it died, i bought the ignitech and haven't looked back! easier starting, idles waaaay better and seems to have a bit of extra grunt also

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Reactions: TopBuzz99

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
simon, my twin did similar to yours before it died, i bought the ignitech and haven't looked back! easier starting, idles waaaay better and seems to have a bit of extra grunt also
Thanks Vince, I'd pretty much decided on buying an Ignitech - there look to be one or two pattern CDI's on EBay at around 100 quid a pair, mostly from the states, and Mr Honda lists brand new OEM ones at Ling's Honda as available, but at a 600 quid plus price!

Hopefully with the Shindengen MOSFET Reg/Rec, and then fitting the Ignitech CDI then my elecrickery'll be future-proofed :)

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Heh! :)

Ironically enuff, I spotted this logo on my dodgy CDI; fair play though - it's been on there for 24 years!

2015-03-08 21.59.34.jpg

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
That's the very one that I was looking at Ray :)

The Ignitech guys just emailed me back this evening, so I'll be ordering one tonight, hopefully the post from Czech Replublic will get to me by the weekend :)
I found them very easy to deal with , good guys :)

Reactions: TopBuzz99

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Fitted the Ignitech today, didn't want to kick on the starter button at first (blown 10A fuse in the box, maybe me connecting the CDI wrong way round at first, or it blew the other day with me trying repeated starts after cleaning and re-seating the connectors on the old OEM CDI a few times, oh, and twatting it on the frame when the fecker didn't want to work ;) )

Fired up straight away after fitting a new fuse, both cylinders on startup, but tacho still not kicking in so I'll trace it back tomorrow in the daylight :)

·
Registered
155 Posts
Sounds like you're well on the way to getting it sorted Topbuzz, nice work. Did you have to do any programming of the replacement cdi, it talks about it being programmable on their website? Chris

·
Registered
265 Posts
no programming needed, with the cables supplied its simply plug and play. i got the cd and cable but havent dared play with anything, mine pulls so hard at 130kmh i dont reckon i need any more go!!

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sounds like you're well on the way to getting it sorted Topbuzz, nice work. Did you have to do any programming of the replacement cdi, it talks about it being programmable on their website? Chris
I haven't done any reprogramming Jammytask, not something I'd like to play with for the moment mate - the AT's still a work in progress at the moment so I'm good to go with the standard setup for now.

From what I know of the Ignitech unit, it's quite common on a lot of 90's bikes so the Ignitech guys programme the timing for the specific bike you order it for, but obviously if you have the software and the knowledge to tweak the settings then it's pretty straightforward if you desire :)

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
no programming needed, with the cables supplied its simply plug and play. i got the cd and cable but havent dared play with anything, mine pulls so hard at 130kmh i dont reckon i need any more go!!
I'm still having probs since fitting the Ignitech Vince - tacho not kicking in, and intermittent sparking. I'm almost thinking that it's maybe a dodgy connection somewhere on the loom, or a loose or iffy ignition coil or even HT lead.

To be honest mate, I've been meaning to do a thorough check all along the loom since the Reg/Rec died last summer, but ah ya know what it's like - it was running fine so, put the work off - I'll have to sort it now I reckon, maybe strip the loom off the bike and bring it in the warm and electric light (ie. kitchen table) ;)

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Looks like I found a (or hopefully the) problem; started peeling off the (looks like an earlier rework) black insulation tape and found that one of the connector wires was loose.

(EDIT - According to Haynes, it's the black & white wire that connects up to the kill switch, I guess hence why the bike cut out on me, and started again after wiggling the connectors last week).

Unwrapped the silver tape that was under the black tape, and the wire was actually snapped off from a crimp connector in the line. I'm not sure if this was an earlier rework that's now failed again.

Rather than use a crimp sleeve again I'll solder it back together which should hopefully be fine. If not, then carry on investigation further... :)

Black tape on:

Black tape.jpg

Black tape off:

Silver tape.jpg

Silver tape off:

No tape.jpg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts