Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello peeps.
I have been using the translap all weekend with no problem, then last night, the key in the ignition won't turn. :-( I tried spraying with WD and warmin the key. Nothing. The key works in the petrol cap and seat lock. The stearing lock is on. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm sorry if this sounds obvious, but, as the steering lock is on, you have tried pushing the key right in and down before turning, I presume?

·
one of the lost boys
6,127 Posts
I take it you have pulled the bars fully left to relieve the pressure on the steering lock.
Keys are easily brocken and a new lock set could knock you for a few hundred bucks so dont force anything
WD40 is a no no for locks wet lube will attract dust and clog everything you should have used graphite powder.
Dislodge your lock by moving the bars and gentle pressure on the key,
if that fails your fooked wait for someone here with more knowledge

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
what Tim said, plus the switch does wear and on my well used TA the key definitely needs a technique to get it to turn - just the right amount of pressure down and right else it feels like the wrong key is in the switch.

I have used WD40 on mine but have since been advised it is not good for an ignition switch. The best is proper lock lubricant like dry lube graphite stuff. Apparently WD40 washes out the grease and allows bits of grit and stuff to get in. It seems plausible to me as that is exactly how I could imagine my switch getting worn.

Good luck

·
Registered
251 Posts
I had the same problem shortly after I bought my 'Alp recently. Cured it with 'all of the above' i.e. light spray of 3-in-1 (coz it still had the tube on); turn bars fully to the left to relieve pressure on the steering lock; push key into the ignition switch; and turn key gently to the right to disengage the steering lock...worked a treat. Joe

·
Now on a BMW R1100RS.
952 Posts
I take it you have pulled the bars fully left to relieve the pressure on the steering lock.
+1
I bet that's your problem. :thumb:

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes tryed all this to no joy. Bloody weird. Been ridin the bike for a year now, so I should be able to get the steering lock off! Mechanic mate coming out later in the week to have a look. I will keep you posted.

·
Registered
7,624 Posts
Is the ignition key bent slightly?

I had my ignition lock jam once or twice & it's always been the key thats been a bit bent - if it is, you can straighten it back by hand.

Phil

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
hi nigel,try a little wd 40 on the lock bolt and try to wiggle it ,try pushing the bolt while turning the key ,gently.
You might have a sticky bolt:D

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
Yes tryed all this to no joy. Bloody weird. Been ridin the bike for a year now, so I should be able to get the steering lock off! Mechanic mate coming out later in the week to have a look. I will keep you posted.
Is the steering lock on, ie you can't turn the bars as well as can't turn the key in the ignition. If so I would say your problem is with the steering lock and / or the way the ignition switch engages with the steering lock to engage / disengage it.

Not sure what the solution might be. Perhaps try getting something up and into the steering lock barrel from underneath to persuade it to let go while you gently wiggle the key.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is the steering lock on, ie you can't turn the bars as well as can't turn the key in the ignition. If so I would say your problem is with the steering lock and / or the way the ignition switch engages with the steering lock to engage / disengage it.

Not sure what the solution might be. Perhaps try getting something up and into the steering lock barrel from underneath to persuade it to let go while you gently wiggle the key.
Yes I'm thinking it might be to do with this. Is the steering lock below the ignition?

·
Now on a BMW R1100RS.
952 Posts
My bike does this to me sometimes (when I'm trying to get home from work most of the time!), and I'll just tell you what I do in the hope it will help you mate.
If it's not wanting to unlock the steering lock I:
  • Turn the bars left as far as they will go and hold them there firmly.
  • Push downwards on the key and turn clockwise whilst still holding the bars full lock left.
  • Try pushing the key at different pressures, it sometimes unlocks with a little bit of pressure and sometimes it needs a lot. :confused:
This might not be any good to you but at least I've tried! :thumbup:

·
Registered
592 Posts
Hi Rick, I would put money on it, that it's not the Key or barrel, but the bolt thats below the barrel. it slides in and out of a tube, gets covered in crap and gets sticky. you need to get some spray/lube in there mate.

nigel:thumbup:

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
I had this problem, Spray WD40 on the steering stem.
My steering lock is seized solid, it will no longer engage, the ignition is fine so I would expect yours to be a similar problem.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts