Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am a Honda Transalp XL600V owner year of fabrication 98.
My second cylinder is not starting I have no spark, in this case I heard that the problem is with the CDI. For my model I have only one CDI for both of the cylinders. I don't know how can I fix this problem.
My tachometer is working.
Any advice or maybe an electrical scheme of the CDI would be help full.

Thank's
Zoli

·
xrv750x Pilot
585 Posts
Hi Zolee04 Your transalp will have 2 cdi,s otherwise it will not work at all.You might has seen the reg/rectifier silver colour box near the back of the Transalp , Remove the seat by removing the 2 side panels underneath the seat and take out the bolt on each side that holds the seat.Lift the seat and you will see 2 Black coloured cdi,s with the wires pointing upwards.Both of the cdi,s are exactly the same so swap them over ,Start the engine and if your revcounter does not work the cdi is broken.The seat pushes down on the wires which breaks the cdi ,Unless Honda recalled your Transalp and refitted the cdi,s 90 degrees sideways so that the wires NOW go to the side NOT straight upwards.This happened to my transalp if you started the bike standing beside it both cylinders were firing But when you sat on the seat one would cut out ,Hope this helps Francis:thumbright:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,

Since 97 for Honda Transalp only 1 CDI is used for both cylinders and the wires are facing sideways.

Thanks

·
xrv750x Pilot
585 Posts
Hi again Zolee04 according to the haynes manual there are 2 cdi,s on 600 Transalp 1987 to 1995 .Maybe the plugs have oiled up on the cylinder that is not firing.Take out one of the plugs from the cylinder that is firing and put on the non firing cylinder and the non firing cylinder plug into the cylinder that is firing and see if the bike runs on both cylinders.If both cylinders are now firing your plugs need changing,Don,t forget 2 plugs per cylinder.If the non firing cylinder still does not fire your fuel supply pipe to that cylinder could be blocked or kinked ,Do you have a fuel filter fitted ? Has it been changed lately, Make sure the HT Leads into the plug cap are tight and the plug cap seated on the spark plugs .Let us know if this helps .It is hard to tell from the picture in the haynes manual but i suspect 1 cdi under the seat or 2 cdi,s one on top of the other or 1 cdi on the gear lever side of the bike behind the side panel .Francis

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your response.
I solved the problem today. From 97 only one CDI is used on transalps because it's more reliable (theoretically).
So the problem in my case was that I had an alarm on my bike and on wire is connected directly to the CDI I removed the alarm and now both cylinders work. I don;t know what exactly was the problem but I'm happy that it works.;)

·
xrv750x Pilot
585 Posts
Good to hear you have it sorted.Francis:thumbup:

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Horray for a happy ending.:thumbup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts