Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gi, just wanna post my experience with the TA600. Had it in storage in my +5C garage all winter and fired her up a couple of times. Then come spring, ready to ride, fire up, but no.. the dash lights flicker , then all dead. Suspected dead battery. Charge it with CTEK charger for motorbike ... 12+ hours. Measure 12.6 Volts ... Try again, nope. buy new battery, 12.77V, try starting, and yes .. Inother words. I expected a lot of fult finding CDI and such, also checked all fuses, all ok, even the main 30V. Seems either the battery gives reading but is short circuted once drained or the bike does not tolerate too low voltage for starting. Possibly need to be above 12.7V. Anyway, thats my experience, and my advise is to try to change the battery first before fiddeling to much with the electronics. My failing battery was a Biltema 12V 12Ah CaCa battery from 2014. I.e. battery lifespan expectancy of 4 years. I hae done no maintenance charging, and the battery is not savable it seems. Trash it. Hope this helped someone.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Gi, just wanna post my experience with the TA600. Had it in storage in my +5C garage all winter and fired her up a couple of times. Then come spring, ready to ride, fire up, but no.. the dash lights flicker , then all dead. Suspected dead battery. Charge it with CTEK charger for motorbike ... 12+ hours. Measure 12.6 Volts ... Try again, nope. buy new battery, 12.77V, try starting, and yes .. Inother words. I expected a lot of fult finding CDI and such, also checked all fuses, all ok, even the main 30V. Seems either the battery gives reading but is short circuted once drained or the bike does not tolerate too low voltage for starting. Possibly need to be above 12.7V. Anyway, thats my experience, and my advise is to try to change the battery first before fiddeling to much with the electronics. My failing battery was a Biltema 12V 12Ah CaCa battery from 2014. I.e. battery lifespan expectancy of 4 years. I hae done no maintenance charging, and the battery is not savable it seems. Trash it. Hope this helped someone.
I had loads of trouble with what appeared to be CDI failure....I'm now pretty sure that it was low battery voltage in every case. I think you might be right..the old TA 600 seems to be really sensitive to battery condition; presumably as the cabling gets older and terminals get creaky, the resistance increases....a marginal voltage might just be enough to prevent the CDI from seeing the necessary trigger signal. this would be worse in cold damp conditions

1 - 3 of 3 Posts