Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
one-legged member
4,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I still have my KTM but the call of the @ was too strong to resist in the end.

I was well keen on 'Hollas' RD03 which came up for sale last week but someone beat me to it, well I'm a believer in fate and a couple of days later a RD03 comes up for sale only a couple of miles from my door :D

So here she is...........

She needs a bit of TLC but is quite original which is something I wanted. Everything works as it should, she just needs a bit of tidiying-up.

She must have belonged to someone on here in the past as there are some XRV.org stickers on her.

Nice to be back in the gang :thumbup:

Bob.

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Nice one Bob

·
SHW'MAE BUTT
3,270 Posts
Nice one Bob :thumbup: at least you use your bikes. unlike Barftone who decorates his work bench with his.:toothy10::toothy10::toothy10:

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
Haha you crazy fool, you should have realised you'd be back, because I never doubt it for a minute when I see someone selling their bike!!

Welcome back to the fold brother.

I'm fettling an RD03 too at the moment, and can't wait to get it back on the road.

:D

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Welcome back.

·
one-legged member
4,493 Posts
Now that's nice. No parking it upside down! :D
Ill try not to ;)

J said:
Nice one Bob :thumbup: at least you use your bikes. unlike Barftone who decorates his work bench with his.:toothy10::toothy10::toothy10:
I've seen him ride it once :hitler:

phil w said:
Nice one Bob... is the KTM going then??
Hmmmmmmmmmm, well it's not going yet as I will be using it to go to the Alps in July. After that I'm not sure, I love the bike but I'm not sure if I can afford to keep running it.

BobA said:
Haha you crazy fool, you should have realised you'd be back, because I never doubt it for a minute when I see someone selling their bike!!

Welcome back to the fold brother.

I'm fettling an RD03 too at the moment, and can't wait to get it back on the road.
:thumb:

beddowsm said:
Nice one Bob. Is it to be used off road?
Now there'a question, Ideally I'd like to restore it but you know how that it could turn into a 'money pit'. So plans are to strip the bodywork off and see what needs doing, fully restore or TLC and ride it like it is?

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
Now there'a question, Ideally I'd like to restore it but you know how that it could turn into a 'money pit'. So plans are to strip the bodywork off and see what needs doing, fully restore or TLC and ride it like it is?

You know from experience that keeping them near original, with sympathetic updates, makes a great bike better, and everyone will want it. How many people have dreamed about owning your old RD04?!!

I'd say, strip it out a far as you dare, then decide how much you want to spend. It looks like a nice bike already, so running it like it is will make you happy, but will you want to throw it at muddy bogs after you've spent a fortune doing an expensive restoration?

The one I'm doing at the moment looked like a real dog, until I started delving deeper. I've sorted all the rear suspension with new bearings and a shock cleanup, and I'm doing the front end next. Cosmetic wise, the panels are acceptable, so I'm just gonna run it "as is" at the moment. Hopefully it'll be in for an MOT in a week or so, so I'll find out how good it and my work is!!!

Start with a sprucing up, and see how much you fall in love with it.

EDIT: Something well worth checking is one particular needle roller bearing in the rear suspension linkage. The one that the lower shock bolts through has been seized on all three RD03's I've owned, and fixing it makes a hell of a difference. The others seize too, but that one is the worst.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Nice AT Bob!! Will you be riding it to Italy this year??

·
one-legged member
4,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nice one Bob, good info :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Welcome back Bob:thumb:
as for off roading it you know how strong the calling of these welsh hills are to you i think its safe to say i'll be riding over your AT tracks here in the near future :D

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts
welcome back mate:D:D:D:D:D

1 - 20 of 38 Posts