Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, long time no post. I had a busy 9 months. New girlfriend from other country moved in with me, I had to show her how to get on and survive in London. I did explain to her that unfortunately law abiding citizens here aren't allowed to carry firearms to defend themselves,only the criminals can, so i had to teach her to survive in a pacifists way :lol: mind you she is Polish, she might be demure but is as hard as nails :lol:

I have been reading posts though 8) I also want to know if anybody is going to the Horizons meet this year?

The other point i wanna post about is that i started a motorcycle maintenance class last Sept. it is the best £150.00 i have ever spent, only one and a half to two hours each week. About 75% practical in fully equiped workshop, with about twenty five different bikes to break...........i mean repair.

I have stripped two and four stroke engines and know the difference between them now. Stripped and removed clutches and gearboxes, removed front forks, yolks, head races,wheel bearings front and rear wheels,brake pads & calipers f&r, change tyres etc etc. I changed my chain and sprockets on the AT this week, and got it through the MOT :lol: .

My Harley has been sitting in the garage for eighteen months since i came back from Russia with it. I had a problem with it here after i washed it and it would not start. I could not be arsed to trailer it down to the garage for repair. Anyway i had a go at it this week with my new found knowledge. I traced the fault back to a wire only hanging on by the edge of the connector to the starter motor. Put it on charged the battery, fresh fuel, and boom big twin fired up and boomed through unrestricted pipes........much to the dismay of my nieghbours :lol:

Now to the experts out there on this forum this may not seem much, but to the novices out there or people like my self that knew loads of theory regarding bike mechanics but had no practice, the course really does inspire confidence to work on your own bike. There are some tests to be taken along the route of the course, all low stress. In my last test i scored 100% :D and it boosts your ego a little to know that your not the worst in the class.

It is also nice to help others in the class finish there bike when you finish your work on your bike before them. I have read on this forum that a few of the members here were thinking that they should do a motorbike maintenanence course, well this September do it! you won't regret it, whats one and a half to two hours a week? No more puckered sphincter when you hear a clanking on your bike or when the mechanic looks at your bike and sucks through his teeth whilst shaking his head in dismay.

Although i am no means an expert, it has been great learning something new. The only thing that concerns me is that so far I have ridden over sixteen thousand miles through Europe through about twenty different countries with very little bike repair knowledge and I have never had a breakdown, am i now tempting fate? :?

One more thing, i am thinking of sailing to Pharoe Islands and Iceland this year and riding around them with the AT anyone done this trip? or are you going that way this year? if so can you gimme any info that may be of help to me? Don't mention the expense of things i already know that.

Its good to be back

Cheers all London Bubble

·
Premium Member
9,523 Posts
Great to hear from you mate.
Was only thinking the other day what had happened to you.
Glad to hear all is well. :)

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts
welcome back dude :D

·
Senior Moment
255 Posts
londonbubble said:
I also want to know if anybody is going to the Horizons meet this year?
Looke like there will be a load of us there! http://www.xrv.org.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2545
The other point i wanna post about is that i started a motorcycle maintenance class last Sept. it is the best £150.00 i have ever spent, only one and a half to two hours each week.
Sounds good! Who runs it? Is it a regular evening class?

·
Need Constant Supervision
2,495 Posts
DaveS said:
Glad to hear all is well. :)
Yeah exactly the same was just thinking a couple of weeks ago wondered where our cabbie driving AT mate has gone :lol: Myself and Chad is going to the Horizons meet dude and think there is a few others. Better book tickets now as they are nearly all sold out again.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds good! Who runs it? Is it a regular evening class?
Its run by the local authority college for adult education, John.

Hi mav you old Saffa, i have given up smoking and guess what i am addicted to now....Biltong, and its turning out to be more expensive than the cigs :lol: . Did that photo i took of you on your AT with your camera come out ok?

I ordered and paid for my tickets about month ago, i have not received them yet, has any body reieved theirs yet?

Glad to hear all is well
Just lurking mate 8)I was just makiing sure it was being run to the usual standard :lol: you know us black AT riders............stealthy!

By the way forgive e for spellings, girlfriend spilled water on y 4 onth old £1000.00 laptop and so e keys not working, e not a happy bunny :x

Lets see. what keys are not working.....the quik brown fo juped over the lazy fene, plus lots of other keys not working. Ive not even paid for the bloody laptop yet :x Does anyone know a Dyslei that wants to buy a laptop.....heap! :lol:

London Bubble

·
I will wash it I promise!
2,022 Posts
hello mate!

if you need assistance with Polish phrases just let me know (i'm polish too!)

let me know what you need to know and i'll send it on - that way when she mutters something under her breath you will know what it is about!

Z

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I work with a Polish guy ... he's quite mad. !! Tells me storys of eastern block occupation, and the sort of shit he used to get up to with the old black market !!!.

Looking to take him up on an offer for a guided tour sometime too.

·
2,022 Posts
Poland is a really cool place - there is loads of it that is gob smackingly beautiful and a fair bit of it that is a eastern european industrial polluted wasteland!

but the good bits outweigh the bad!!

i'd love to ride over at some point - probably to Krakow - best place on earth!

·
2,495 Posts
londonbubble said:
Hi mav you old Saffa, i have given up smoking and guess what i am addicted to now....Biltong, and its turning out to be more expensive than the cigs :lol: . Did that photo i took of you on your AT with your camera come out ok?
Mmmmm biltong :lol:

The thread should be in the pics section or ride reports mate. Haven't received tickets and don't think you do. Last year just went up to registrations and they had my name + t-shirt at the door - no red carpet though :?

·
Senior Consulting Member
1,982 Posts
Z-weiser said:
if you need assistance with Polish phrases just let me know (i'm polish too!)
Z-weiser said:
Poland is a really cool place - there is loads of it that is gob smackingly beautiful
Z-weiser said:
i'd love to ride over at some point - probably to Krakow - best place on earth!
Come on now Z-weiser - get something organised up in the Ride-Outs section! "Poland 2007" :)

·
2,022 Posts
right . . . where's me rough guide and that europe road atlas . . . . .

i'll see what i can come up with! :lol:

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well Z thanks for the offer, but my polish is coming along quite nicely, and i really don't want to know what she's muttering about. As you get older you can pretend your deaf or senile, and smile inanly at them when they have that funny time every month :shock: :shock: blaming you for everything in their lives, their nieghbourhood, their city, the planet, the universe, and of course for every thing thats in infinity :lol: :lol: :lol: . And all you did is mix a light light load with a dark load in the washing machine.

If there is one thing i have learnt from driving a taxi for over twenty years and dating girls from all over this planet........don't matter the race religion, colour etc......there all like insane spoilt children. No one race produces the perfect woman. My mother who is Greek cypriot always tried to marry me off with a 'good Greek girl' then i see the way my female family members treat there male pertners of different nationalities. I think to myself if thats the example of a good greek girl then may god strike me gay, but thats impossible because i ride a black RD07 not one of those other kind :lol: :lol: :lol:

As for Poland, its a lovely place. I rode through it from Lithuania when i rode to the Nordcap and Russia. When i ever i speak to Poles here in the UK about there country they always speak so negative about it, so when i rode there i was expecting the worst, but it has to be said they can teach the British a thing or two about manners.

Poland remainds me of the UK thirty years ago, i saw youngsters getting up for old ladys on the tram, services in bars and resaurants were very helpful. When i had my tyre changed on the bike in Katawitza they even washed my bike for me after the fitting, when i tried to give the young lad a 30Zlt tip he did not want to take it.

Parts of Poland was devastated i in WW2 and Warsaw lost about 90% of its population and then it had a fifty year decline under the commies. Its a big country with a fair sized population so it needs a lot of investment but i am pretty sure its time will come. After all it is a nation thats not scared to roll its sleeves up and work hard.

As for Krakow, yes its a great place, i have been to Chechin on the Check border Auschwitz and Berkenaw for a more sombre reality check, as well lots of other less well known places.

One thing though mate, where the firk do you import your filter coffee from, i do like a nice espresso, no mamby pamby instant coffee. But diesel mixed with sand is not espresso coffee in my book :lol: :lol: :lol:

Any body thinking of riding poland will be in for a pleasant suprise, lovely countryside, beaches and mountain regions. Friendly people pretty girls that speak english and unlike Russian girls they know how to smile :lol: cheap beer/ciggs and food :lol: , but a word of warning the petrols not cheap, its not far off from UK prices. As for all the negative comments regarding the state of there roads, there not that bad,nothing that the AT can't handle :lol: the new motorways being built with e.u money are better than ours and i think the driving standards are about the same as Britains. If you have ever ridden in Russia :shock: you will never complain about UK or any other roads again :lol: or other countries driving habits, even in Naples :lol: Yep I think Poland is a low stress place to visit you don't need a rough guide,just a map, just don't ride there in the winter. Buy they way i did like Russia lot so any negative remarks are made in jest, i want to go back there

And i think those clubs your nation have opened in London showing us your national dance are fantastic, and so do a lot of other men from different nationalities, Yep, Pole dancing the dogs bollox :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: just want to know why is it only females doing it.........not that i am interested in the other.

Good luck mate

London Bubble

·
2,495 Posts
Sounds like a wicked place to visit for sure, mmmm now where do I place it on the list as Moab and Morrocco ain't moving from 1st and 2nd place :lol:

·
2,495 Posts
londonbubble said:
Its not that far mav, you can do it in a long weekend, even at your age :lol:
I am waiting for my midlife crisis, apparently then you either have lots of money to do it or you don't give a feck where you gonna find money to pay for it 8)

·
fatfarmer
3 Posts
Hi London Bubble,

I’ve been researching bike mechanics courses and found an old post from you on the matter. I know it was a long time ago… but I’d appreciate it if you could tell where was the one you did?

Cheers,

Fat Farmer

L

·
0 Posts
Hi mav you old Saffa, i have given up smoking and guess what i am addicted to now....Biltong, and its turning out to be more expensive than the cigs :lol: .
St-Marcus in Barnes?? (best SA shop around, just love thier boereworse with cheese) Or you paying rediculous prices for small bags of the stuff???

Anyway welcome back!!!

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Hi London Bubble,

I’ve been researching bike mechanics courses and found an old post from you on the matter. I know it was a long time ago… but I’d appreciate it if you could tell where was the one you did?

Cheers,

Fat Farmer
Have you tried Merton College, they do evening classes in bike Maintenance.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts