Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its been a while since Ive been contributing to the forum but would rather have done so without the need for a cry for help.
Went to start the bike (which I use for commuting) and got a weird clicking noise from the small black box the main red battery lead attaches to, (under the side panel rd07 model). The lights and battery are fine reading 12.47v but the engine will not turn over at all just this mad clicking noise which continues for the duration of holding down the ignition button.:confused:

Help please.

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Hi Phoenix,
That'll be the starter relay clicking away, give the battery a charge and check the connections inc fuse & multiplug & give 'em all a good clean up. It'll be one or t'other.

Phil

·
2,701 Posts
Hi Phoenix,
That'll be the starter relay clicking away, give the battery a charge and check the connections inc fuse & multiplug & give 'em all a good clean up. It'll be one or t'other.

Phil
If its still just clicking after the above, just short the relay out to prove if its at fault or not.

·
BLUE 1999 xrv750x
730 Posts
i wonder if it is the oxford heated grip syndrome that strikes again ???- i must get around to wiring the control switch into the ignition......

·
2,701 Posts
i wonder if it is the oxford heated grip syndrome that strikes again ???- i must get around to wiring the control switch into the ignition......
Connected the grips on my Transalp 600 to the live feed to the rad fan, it's on a 15 amp fuse and the fan rarely switches on, specialy in winter.
A quick job with a couple of scotch connecters.

·
I will wash it I promise!
2,022 Posts
as a general rule dude if a suspicious black box under your vehicle stops ticking - leave . . . . . quickly!

like someone said above clean all contacts - if not that then battery?

·
chicken chaser
1,554 Posts
Hi Phoenix,

Phil
and also give it a good tap with the handle end of a screw driver as well
they can sometimes just stick

AA recovery driver taught me that one after waiting an hour for him to arrive

:):):)

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Give it a boost and go for a ride. Sure sounds like a battery that is shy on cranking amps.

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts

·
Tropical Member
2,037 Posts
Had exactly this problem when I came home in late November, checked thru the Haynes and sure enough it's the starter relay. (Even taking the battery outta the bike when I leave home, then charging o/nite when I come back, hot weather over here, takes a toll on even maintenance free batteries.) Bought a cheapo low maintenance one, then the bike started as usual, less the clicking of course! I agree with GSPD750, voltage may be fine , but the ampereage is [email protected] out, battery plates corroded I suspect in one or more cells.

·
Seignior Member
208 Posts
Could well be your battery Phoenix, you can have good voltage at the same time as having very little current available. Have you checked the fliud level and how old is it?

Happened to me on friday evening trying to get home. Had to push start the old girl and topped up the fluid level when I got home. There were plenty of volts but not enough oooomph to start the engine after sitting out in the cold all day.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
To all who responded, thanks for your help. It turned out to be a duff battery as noted by most of you. It had plenty of volts just no grunt.... sounds a bit like me :D ant way a new battery later and the bike is a happy camper. Thanks again

Phoenix:thumbleft::thumbright::thumb:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts