Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
entering the valencia motogp campsite last month, a bike traffic cop gestured that i should remove my earphones( wires coming out under the helmet). i stopped and asked him why and he said its illegal (in spain). i had it for mp3 and sat-nav. is it the same in the uk? does that mean ear-plugs would be illegal as well here in spain? i wasnt about to argue with him because he looked stressed enough trying to deal with the madness. mark

·
Premium Member
4,354 Posts
not illegal in the UK, but I had read something about sat navs and in ear comms being illegal in Spain, in fact I think its even speakers in helmets.

·
Craigypops
6,747 Posts

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
I can't though, see why it's illegal? The only reason I can think of is that they want you to be able to hear traffic etc but does that mean deaf people aren't aloud to ride bikes in Spain?
More to the point, are car stereos illegal as well? :)

I've got one of those bluetooth whatsits that does it all. Music, occasionally on long boring motorway slogs. Unless it's crowded. It's mostly for intercom purposes, which is useful and a lot less distracting than swatting each others elbow and trying to guess what on earth the other is getting at.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i can't understand the reasoning of being distracting. its no more distracting than wind noise or "fruity" exhaust noise. i know bike traffic guardias here use helmet speakers, i've heard them talking while parked. another thing here is that if you are on a PUSHBIKE and on a mobile phone, you will get fined! yet if you are caught drink driving, no ban, small fine for first offence. i will put helmet speakers in mine and hide the cables well. other point, does that mean honda goldwings, etc will not be able to play their dolby surround 8 speaker built in multi disc players? rider to passenger/ bike to bike intercoms? anybody touring in spain (and france by the sounds of it) beware. the trafico's favourite past-time is handing out fines to foriegn drivers. they are on bonus system since a big pay-cut a few years back.

Merry Christmas to all

mark
ps, arent't they thinking of banning blue-tooth car phone systems in the uk? maybe they're starting to think along the same lines as spain.

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
i can't understand the reasoning of being distracting. its no more distracting than wind noise or "fruity" exhaust noise.
Sure it is. Why else would people talk or listen to music, might as well put on a nice cd of traffic noise. (Granted, some music styles... ;-))

Talking is distracting, unless you're not paying any attention towards what's being said. In most situations that's fairly harmless, but busy traffic isn't one of them. Music is distracting too, unless it's very boring music, and if it is, why bother? :mrgreen:

(Edit: fairly harmless meaning the talking while driving, not the not paying attention to what's being said. You do that at your own peril. :mrgreen:)

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
Best reason I can think of is if they group mopeds in with bikes.

I can't imagine motorcyclists on the whole abusing this stuff enough for it to be a problem that needs political attention.

I can, vividly, imagine 16YO kids on mopeds and scooters tear-assing through cities oblivious to their surroundings while listening to music or yakking on mobiles being enough of a problem to warrant this sort of attention.

Though that might just be my daily dose of Amsterdam traffic talking... ;-)

(Ditto for mark porter's phones on pushbikes. If I'd get a quid for every time I've been nearly mown down by some idiot cyclist on a mobile... I guess I'd have a tenner or something. ;-))

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
On my Harley Ultra I have external speakers, is it OK to have them blaring away in Spain but not using headphones and keeping the noise to myself?
Out of interest only as I dont have the radio on anyway and I wont be riding in Spain!

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
On my Harley Ultra I have external speakers, is it OK to have them blaring away in Spain but not using headphones and keeping the noise to myself?
Out of interest only as I dont have the radio on anyway and I wont be riding in Spain!

ah you would have have a bit of music playing in the towns at least .

get your MOTHER running

head out on the highway

lookin ' for adventure

and whatever comes our way

yeah' darling go make it happen

take the world in a love embrace

fire all of your guns at once

and explode into space :D

if you were on a Goldwing maybe a bit of Barry Manilow on something like that .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts