Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Should know better
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've said it before, never a ride on Nessie that doesn't turn into an adventure one way or another :color:. This one involved student pranks, four counties (Leicestershire, Derbyshire, Staffordshire & Warwickshire), Nessie reaching a ton (no, mileage in a day, not speed ;)), her having a gentle lie down, and Brian the Transalp confusing Lichfield (Staffordshire) for Ashbourne (Derbyshire) :?...

Today was promised (and delivered) to be a glorious October day here in sunny Leicestershire :sunny:so an Indian Summer ride with Nessie and Brian the Transalp was arranged. We set out good and early to make the most of the weather. We hadn't got far and were just passing the University campus when Chris casually remarked 'the students are back'. I didn't know what he was talking about, but looked to my left where there are some interesting sculptures made from various industrial components, and this is what I saw:
mail.jpg

What is it with students and traffic cones??? :confused: Obviously pictures had to be taken so we pulled up at the side of the road. However, as I went to get back on Nessie, she decided that this was a good time to lay down for a rest. Maybe she knew what was to come! I'm still not sure why it happened, but can only think that the side stand was not fully out. Only damage was dented pride and a broken clutch lever. However, this did not make her harder to ride so we decided to press on. The plan was to ride to Ashbourne in Derbyshire at the foothills of the Peak District, as part of my overall aim to build my riding range so as to be able to ride to Jelly's (sorry 'Yonderman's Cafe'). We'd plotted out a route from Loughborough (A6, A50, A515) and all went according to plan. The stretch on the A50 dual carriageway started to get a bit tedious, and we were keenly looking out for the A515 which seemed a long time coming. We were a bit perplexed when it did as it signed towards Lichfield which didn't seem quite in the direction of the Peak District :confused:. However, there was no alternative A515 signed, and the road proved to be a great one. Lovely Autumn scenery, gentle but challenging rural road, with pretty villages and a zillion bikers. We were starting to joke about the need to put a nodding dog or waving plastic hand on the front of the bikes, so many nods and waves were exchanged. However, by the time we were a few miles short of Lichfield, my misgivings over direction had grown to a huge uncertainty that something was badly wrong (especially when we saw a sign to Ashbourne pointing in the opposite direction!). So we agreed to pull over, and found a lovely little side road, where we stopped. Apologies for thumb over the photo, and general poor quality, but all pictures were taken (incomptently) with mobile phone:

nessie and brian.jpg

Using the navigation function on my phone, it became quite clear that we had gone wrong, and would have to retrace 24 miles to Ashbourne. Instead, we decided to change our approach and take the A5 towards South Leicestershire. This involved some more fairly boring dual carriageway, but then brought us to the rural roads and cutesy villages of this area. We headed towards pastures known already as Sutton Wharf, as we were now getting hungry and tired, and we relaxed by the water, eating and watching the world drift by:
sutton wharf.jpg
sutton wharf2.jpg

Who'd have possibly thought that this could be October in England??? :happy6:

By this time, Nessie's trip was showing 76 miles, the longest journey I've done on her in a day. And I was still good to go! So, we decided to take the 'Long Way Home' in order to hit the 100 miles mark. We went via Thornton Reservoir (very pretty) and sticking to small local roads. There were lots of challenges, including difficult hill starts and awkward junctions (and mostly combinations of the two :mad:), but despite my earlier misadventure and the inevitable encroaching tiredness, I was still really enjoying the ride and feeling confident and (reasonably) competent.

Got home tired and happy with 105 miles on Nessie's clock. Brian had also acquitted himself brilliantly, apart from a problem that has emerged with his fuel gauge, which was suggesting that, after filling up on departure, he had not consumed any petrol at all. Would be nice, but :confused:And now, it's early to bed, ready to face those students in the morning...

·
Tenacious Member
1,435 Posts
Nice ride report Lulu. Those wrong turns sometimes take us to the best places. :thumbright:

I was out yesterday with a mate on a Vara. We stopped at about 80 miles and he asked how the fuel consumption was on the Trannie. I showed him the gauge and told him you get the first 70 to 80 miles for free - no fuel used! It's a Transalp thing - the gauge reads full until you get to half a tank, or put the bike on the side stand.

Reactions: Lulu

·
Should know better
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
...I was out yesterday with a mate on a Vara. We stopped at about 80 miles and he asked how the fuel consumption was on the Trannie. I showed him the gauge and told him you get the first 70 to 80 miles for free - no fuel used! It's a Transalp thing - the gauge reads full until you get to half a tank, or put the bike on the side stand.
Interesting! Anyone else confirm this? It's true that when put on the side stand, half tank was showing. And Chris has, to date, calculated 200 miles per tank.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Interesting! Anyone else confirm this? It's true that when put on the side stand, half tank was showing. And Chris has, to date, calculated 200 miles per tank.
Yip, gauge never moves until about half way, I remember doing a splash and dash, gauge showing in the red, putting in 7 L and the gauge read over half full :rolleyes: so I always use the trip clock :thumbright:

Reactions: Lulu
1 - 5 of 5 Posts