Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The varadero has a nice big underseat storage area which honda helpfully ruin by moulding in a wheel shaped bulge that the wheel doesnt go anywhere near, even if you take the shock out, and a bracket thingy and hook that only fits the Honda D lock, by coincidence!
I've been fed up with this for years, especially as they put storage for a D lock on the luggage rack too. My Mrs recently bought me a gas powered soldering/blowtorch gizmo, and its brill but I've never christened the hot knife attachment. Lightbulb moment- what can I cut up? My bike of course!
Insitu, I cut the undertray out leaving a ½" lip. I made a wooden plug that fit in the hole and laid up a carbon fibre tray insert. Fits in there lovely, the tyre still has plenty of clearance and more importantly its flat bottomed so that available volume has doubled and its far more usable. A 3" thick acerbis tool bag goes in there now like its tailor made, room for an airman compressor and many tools and spares.
tray1.jpg
tray2.jpg
tray3.jpg
tray4.jpg

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Fantastic Dave

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Nice one, what does it look like from the underside?

sent from my rotary phone ....

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice one, what does it look like from the underside?

sent from my rotary phone ....
It looks deep but the whole tray is less than an inch high, outer dimensions. By the time that's poked through the hole with sealant tape under the lip it only comes through perhaps ¾"? Its not much thicker than the normal undertray. Looking underneath it just looked flat instead of having all those mouldings in it. And its that flatness that makes the space far more useable, not so much the extra depth, if that makes sense?

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
You'll be telling all women size doesn't matter then Dave

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You'll be telling all women size doesn't matter then Dave
Big is best Paul, every varadero owner knows that :thumbup:

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Big is best Paul, every varadero owner knows that :thumbup:
:thumbup:

Off topic a bit

How's your mate Richard these days?

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:thumbup:

Off topic a bit

How's your mate Richard these days?
Enjoying his retirement but I'm not sure his Mrs is!
He traded the vstrom in for a Bonneville speedmaster (worst named bike ever?) Then two weeks later a victory Vegas, and a vespa

1 - 9 of 9 Posts