Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need to replace an indicator lens (broken mounting lug) on my TA650.

Parts drawing shows a very different housing and lens compared to what is on my bike. I know parts drawings can sometimes be different but the lens listed in the parts drawings is only available on back order from Japan and seems to be gold-plated if the price is anything to go by. Therefore, I would really like to be certain that it is the correct part.

The housing/stalk/lens look like Honda parts. I assumed they would be common to multiple Honda models and that sourcing a replacement lens would be a piece of cake. But not so, it seems. Local Honda dealer agrees that they have the appearance of a Honda fitment. Like me, they are wondering whether indicators from another Honda model have been fitted to this bike at some stage. But, if so, they are unsure what model.

Can anyone cast any light on this mystery? I have attached photos.

Any help gratefully received.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have managed to get some numbers off of the lens and a bit of research shows they are a Vicma part intended for various Honda models including SH scooters, NSR125 etc. But definitely not listed for the Transalp.

Have been able to source replacements at a good price from Wemoto.

Still a mystery as to how they came to be on a TA650. There is no evidence to suggest the bike has ever been down the road (and therefore requiring rear indicators to be replaced).

The SH was made in Italy, I believe? And the NSR125? As was the Transalp. Could it be that some TA650s came out of the factory with these indicators fitted? Does anyone else have a TA650 with this style of rear indicator?

I guess it's not important now that I have identified the part, but just curious.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
very odd. all the 650s i have seen have the standard indicator like this:

looks someone else has had the same issue as you and resorted to 3d printing one??

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Curiouser and curiouser, said Alice.

What's the chances of two Transalp 650s being retrofitted with the same indicators from another Italian-built Honda? Possible but the odds would surely be incredibly small.

I wonder whether a small number of TA650s emerged from the factory with this alternative fitment? But it was never noted in parts lists. Perhaps the factory ran out of the correct fitment, realised that these other indicators that they used on certain other models built in the factory would fit, and went with them so as not to delay production?

It sounds like the sort of thing that the Italian bike industry was entirely capable of in the dim, dark past.....but surely not in a Honda factory?

·
Registered
789 Posts
Maybe a PO fitted the shorter indicators as they had panniers?

Mine (01') are the same as ds99 posted but mounted on the rear rack on an adaptor.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts