Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed on a ride out yesterday that there was a few seconds delay between flicking the indicator switch and the indicators coming on.
When I had a closer look today, when u switch on the indicators you can hear a relay clicking quite quickly and then slowing down to a normal
rate when the indicators flash.
Anyone encountered this before? Is it possible relay is on the way out?

·
Registered
552 Posts
It's an old type, bimetal one so can be slow when turning indicators on epsecially when cold.
You can swap it with electronic type.

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
I
I noticed on a ride out yesterday that there was a few seconds delay between flicking the indicator switch and the indicators coming on.
When I had a closer look today, when u switch on the indicators you can hear a relay clicking quite quickly and then slowing down to a normal
The only thing that one of my Africa Twins failed its MOT for, indicator flashng too many times per minute (or something similar). Swapped the flasher unit out and it passed it's re-test an hour later.:thumbup:

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's an old type, bimetal one so can be slow when turning indicators on epsecially when cold.
You can swap it with electronic type.
Cheers ..... where can I find an "electronic" replacement ? I've had the bike 6 months and 10,000 miles now and
nothing at all has gone wrong with it, the tyres refuse to wear out, chain never seems to need adjustment, I desperately
need an excuse to tweak something :lol:

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Cheers ..... where can I find an "electronic" replacement ? I've had the bike 6 months and 10,000 miles now and
nothing at all has gone wrong with it, the tyres refuse to wear out, chain never seems to need adjustment, I desperately

Those days will come, those days will come lol....;)

·
Registered
552 Posts
If I only had same problem :D
Any auto parts store should have it, if it is LED compatible then it is definitelly electronic type. You can find them on ebay also.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Check your indicator switch with a multimeter...

I had this problem on mine, especially after the bike had not been used for a while. Usually, it would come right after using the indicators a few times. The last time it happened, it did not come right.

The relay was fine, it turned out that the indicator switch assembly on the handlebars did not have continuity when the indicators were selected.

I fixed it by disassembling the switch, polishing the contacts, and reassembling with silicone grease. Ordinary bearing grease would probably work fine - the original grease didn't seem to be anything special.

If you find the same problem with your indicator switch, it's not too hard to fix: just take your time and take photos as you dismantle the switch!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thx all..... if the cleaning doesn't go to plan I can always resort to hand signals :rolleyes:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey, AT guys !!

The indicators relay (which is not actually a relay, btw) is not a "bimetal" system. Bimetal systems were used looooooong ago, but they're not reliable enough, since they depend much too much on the external temperature.

Our "relays" are now electro-mechanical. The contacts inside are sometimes factory-packed with a mix of grease and silicon, and with the years, this "paste" reacts badly to the cold.

Many guys have opened the relay, cleaned its guts, gently greased the moving parts and put it back together. Most of the times, the gizmo came back to life. Since yours is out anyway, it might be worth a try ?

And, if it comes to a bad end, you can replace it by any indicator relay from any motorshop (something like €10-15), as long as it has 3 connectors on it.

99,99 % of the relays have standard relative positions for the connectors. But if you're in the 0,01%, it's quite easy to switch the connectors inside your bike's plastic holder. A multimeter and the electric wiring diagram will help.

Reactions: Geldof

·
Registered
552 Posts
Hmm, I just opened mine and you are correct it is not bimetal. It has a coil, resistor, electrolytic capacitor and contacts with no grease at all. Contacts look clean, so maybe the capacitor is going bad. It is a strange one without capacity value on it, Marcon 5840 4YB.
It looks just like this one from Kawasaki

relais.jpg

It has 2 connectors (maybe it is different on RD07???) so a replacement should have 2 also. A 3 connector relay could also be fitted but why complicate things.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts