Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My indicators during the cold snap at the start of this week were a bit "slow" for the first ten minutes or so.
It would not go all all, then a bit, then not at all, then working fine. Erratic behaviour!

Does this point to something else? It only happens when it is really very cold.

·
Registered
924 Posts
This happens on my Varadero aswell. From a very cold start it can take anything upto 30secs from pressing the indicator to them flashing, gradually decreasing over the course of a run to the point where they work correctly.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
This happens on my Varadero aswell. From a very cold start it can take anything upto 30secs from pressing the indicator to them flashing, gradually decreasing over the course of a run to the point where they work correctly.
+1
Works fine when the weather warms up again. Sprayed plenty of WD40, but makes little difference

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Its probably the flasher unit getting lazy. But it could be a poor connection elsewhere.

They work on the principle of a bi-metallic [1] strip which is heated by current flow to the indicator lamps which causes it to bend which interrupts the circuit removing the hearing current and allowing the strip to cool which straightens it out making the circuit again. So in essence this heating and cooling cycle defined the frequency of the indicator flash. If the strip is really cold then it will take longer for the first flash (but not much) as there more heating required to get to the point of changeover. Subsequent flashes will be fine as it's never allowed to cool down below low temp switch point as the current starts flow and the heat comes on again to repeat the cycle.

So a lazy flasher unit could cause this problem but as could a ****ty connection elsewhere adding resistance to the circuit and reducing current flow which is needed to heat the strip. If its equally slow on both sides then I would look on the supply side (so upto and including the handlebar switch) and if only one side is affected then look after (and including) the switch out to the indicator lamps and earths.

[1] bi-metallic = two metals joined side to side that have different thermal expansion ratios so when the strip is heated or cooled it bends. This bending can be used as on contact is a switch that switches on or off depending on the bend characteristics of the strip.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Equally slow on both sides on mine Boris, and ill have to get a mate of mine who will know what the hell you just said to have a look :sign3:

:toothy10:

·
BLUE 1999 xrv750x
730 Posts
happens with mine too.... seems fine though now in the mild weather.

·
Premium Member
6,922 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I appreciate this post is a year old but have been struggling with this same affliction of slow or near dead indicators in the winter for over 5 years, across 2 RRX Fireblades and would love to resolve it. Not being able to reliably indicate on winter mornings is a real headache...

Lutin (if your still out there): I have checked the Polevolt site but I'm not sure exactly which relay I should be getting for starters... I don't mind getting my hands dirty by any stretch but electrics have never been my strong point. Any guidance as to the best course of action to replace the OEM relays with ones that actually work when its cold would be potentially life saving.

This is a link shows a good picture of the OEM part https://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/graphics/parts/38301KK9952_large.jpg

Thanks in advance,
Simon

·
Stone Crazy
5,315 Posts

·
Deer Dodger
3,199 Posts

·
Stone Crazy
5,315 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,922 Posts
I appreciate this post is a year old but have been struggling with this same affliction of slow or near dead indicators in the winter for over 5 years, across 2 RRX Fireblades and would love to resolve it. Not being able to reliably indicate on winter mornings is a real headache...

Lutin (if your still out there): I have checked the Polevolt site but I'm not sure exactly which relay I should be getting for starters... I don't mind getting my hands dirty by any stretch but electrics have never been my strong point. Any guidance as to the best course of action to replace the OEM relays with ones that actually work when its cold would be potentially life saving.

This is a link shows a good picture of the OEM part https://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/graphics/parts/38301KK9952_large.jpg

Thanks in advance,
Simon
Yep, still here.

As you might have guessed, none of those alternative flasher relays is a direct plug in replacement. However, if you don't mind making up a short wiring loom of just three wires then I'm sure that we can help you sort something out.

Having a look at the Vehicle Wiring Products (VWP) offerings, there are two that do the job - RFL3 and RFL9. They differ only in the pin-out.

Looking at PoleVolt, the 74422 looks like it might do (not as much info as on the VWP units).

I'll go and look at some wiring diagrams. Back in a bit.................

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
114 Posts
As it's happening across a few models, it sounds like a disgruntled factory worker getting revenge.
First of all there is no need to panic as the fix is free, and it'll save you buying a flasher unit.
Simply trace the wiring back and it's odds on that somewhere along it's length the aforementioned worker has put a knot in the cable restricting the electricity from reaching the bulb.

:p

·
Premium Member
6,922 Posts
It looks from what I've found as if the three wires to the flasher relay are White/Green, Green and Grey. These are connected as follows -

White/Green - supply from fuse box

Green - Earth

Grey - Supply to the indicator switch.

In order to connect an after market relay you will have to determine which wire goes to which pin on the existing FR-3303 flasher relay. You might be able to see which wire colour goes where, otherwise you will need a multimeter to make some checks. Once we have this info, we're nearly there.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 15 of 15 Posts