Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Removed tyre and found a spot of minor corrosion on the rear rim around valve inlet - it is minor - outside rim is good but just the one inside

Had a search and came up with the following

file down the worst and cover with super glue sand and prime - job down

Any other suggestions or recommendations on how to treat this to prevent or at least slow down this disease

thanks James

·
Born to Slide
1,741 Posts
Hi
Without seeing the extent it is difficult to advise - can you post a photo.

If it is small then I would use wire wool not a file to clean it down as much as possible and then use a liberal dab of Hammerite paint on it - it is goo stuff and usually does the trick.

You said you were going to use superglue. I have never done this for a rust repair - I don't think it would be the best long term solution - why did you suggest superglue.

If the corrosion is severe and on a spoke hole then there is the risk of it pulling through so best either post photo or get someone to look at it and assess the extent. Most likely is is not severe and can be fixed easily.

Just re read your post and can se why super glue - I would advise JB Weld or Liquid Steel - more substantial and add strength - superglue is ok on plastics but does not do so well on metals I find. Folow the instructions accurately and you can file the epoxy down after - a Dremel is good for that if used carefully.

Hope this helps

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Removed tyre and found a spot of minor corrosion on the rear rim around valve inlet - it is minor - outside rim is good but just the one inside

Had a search and came up with the following

file down the worst and cover with super glue sand and prime - job down

Any other suggestions or recommendations on how to treat this to prevent or at least slow down this disease

thanks James
On my XR the rims are quite bad i simply used a dremmel to remove the burrs and then sand it back as smooth as possible. Then i just put several thick coats silver hammerite smooth on the rim let it dry and refitted the tyres. Will see if the paints still on the rim the next time i change the tyres

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replys - superglue actually came of this forum using the search facility

the corrission is just a small mark on the rim close to the air valve - will sand it down and paint

thanks

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
It may have been me that mentioned using superglue, as I did it on one of my rims.

The reason I used superglue (right or wrong) was because I cleaned the inner rim back to shiny metal with a wire brush, but noticed several small areas of the alloy that were sort-of laminating. I used superglue because it sort of wicks into the area and fills/bonds the alloy back together. A few applications and it completely filled the areas, and I then roughly abraded them and sprayed them with gold hammerite.

Haven't looked in there since, so lord knows what it's llike, but it did make a nice tidy repair.

Bob :thumbup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts