Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody installed a HID kit in the XL700 yet?

I'm torn between just replacing the bulbs with Osram nightbreakers/silverstar or something similiar, or going the whole hog and installing a HID for the low-beam.

I was wondering if the fact that the existing low-beam is "always on" (i.e. before starting) will have an affect on the HID, as they are very sensitive to voltage drops (when pressing the starter motor). I know some HID suppliers recommend disconnecting the "auto-on" feature in cars.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Ive got a set of HIDS on the 700, Fantastic difference
Ok i'm on a 650 but go HIDs the difference is 'Fantastic', I can not believe I rode a winter with the old light. :hitler:

I managed to fit the HID myself, if you want let me know and I will look out the details of who I got it from. They were recommended off this forum & came in about the £70 mark, off the top of my head. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ive got a set of HIDS on the 700, Fantastic difference
Jimmc,
is your low beam on all the time, from before startup, and had you had any issues with the hid?

I presume UK spec bikes are the same as the rest of Europe, i.e. lights are always on.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
My transalp has an always on headlight and when I start it the light switches off.
If you can find the wiring diagram I believe you have a similar loom to the DV700 in which case you have a relay in the place of the switch.

G

·
The lights are on all the time on the 700 . Switching the ignition on brings the light on immediately and within about 4 secs it is glowing up to the normal level.
I cant recall if the light goes off as the starter turns but the power drain when the HIDs are running is about 1/2 the standard bulb. It does however draw more load during the warm up period.

I'll check later and report back.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
if you want let me know and I will look out the details of who I got it from. They were recommended off this forum & came in about the £70 mark, off the top of my head. :rolleyes:
OK, I'm pretty much convinced that there isn't an issue......

Alba,
can you look up the supplier if you don't mind.

Thanks,
Buddyboy

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
OK, I'm pretty much convinced that there isn't an issue......

Alba,
can you look up the supplier if you don't mind.

Thanks,
Buddyboy
Eventually found the link. I have had it on since October and its been great, I installed it in a cold day so not the tidiest of jobs as yet not got round to doing tidying it up. :thumbup:

G

·
Bought these from HIDS DIRECT

Link

I went for the 6000 rather than the 4300. The 4300 are pure white (got these on my vfr) but there is slightly blue tinge to the 6000 and although the light output is similar I just really like the look and it gets you noticed so from a safety angle every little helps.

The price here is for a pair, so it works out pretty reasonable

G

·
Should also have said that Ive been running HIDS on the previous bike that I had before transalp and covered about 15k miles with headlight always on with no problems. They run cooler, use less power, are 3 times brighter.
All I did this time was buy the different bulbs to use with the older ballast units.
With the high beam the light comes on at an acceptable brightness level (to see with rather than to look at) then builds up over a couple of seconds to a superb light. This slight delay is the only disadvantage.

I would change both dipped and high beams together as if not when you have the high beam on it looks like an old "yellow /orange" sodium lamp by comparison.

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
I'm torn between just replacing the bulbs with Osram nightbreakers/silverstar or something similiar, or going the whole hog and installing a HID for the low-beam.
Try the Nightbreakers, they are a LOT cheaper than HID's. I originally wanted HID's after reading the posts here about them. Then read there maybe some legal issues about aftermarket bulbs/burners being fitted to non HID designed reflectors. So figured I'd try the Osrams, buy one get one free and you can replace the main beam too as both bulbs are the same spec.

I doupt very much they are anywhere near as good as HID's but they are a lot better than standard and a LOT less faf to fit. Besides if you don't like em you can sell em and get some HID's after! ;)

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
I am not sure about the 700 but the 650 has a clear lens which has no impact on the pattern of the beam, therefore it is suitable for HID's

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Guys,
thanks for all the replies, and the link.

Looks like the pocket money will have to be saved for the HIDs. :thumb:

Unfortunately, it might make the fog lights I've installed a bit redundant :(

1 - 14 of 14 Posts