Honda XRV Forum banner
3K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  AlexTheAcrobat 
#1 ·
Hello. Trying to install led lights. I've tried with a few different led relays. The closest I get is to have one side working as it should and other side makes hazard lights. Same effect on all relays but blink speed varies. I can switch the cables to make both left and right function so its not from broken lights. One side is always hazard light mode. The relays I use have 3 poles. One is earth I guess. Im not good with electrics. Any thoughts? Thanks!

#4 ·
Sorry for late reply, been on skiing holliday. Follow the link for pictures from my OneDrive account. https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ait-lB4NLrGxnrhfxkS37VTZmS_avA

And yes we are talking about turn signal led lights. Now whenever I click left or right I get hazard light what ever I do.. So strange, been trying different combos but I can't get it back to like it was before where one direction was hazard and one worked as it should. Maybe this indicates that there is a solution after all?

If I swap places on the + and - that goes in to the relay all the indicators stay on without flashing when I use the turnswitch.

Any help is highly appreciated. Thank you!

#5 ·
Looking at those pictures, it seems that the wiring on your bike has been altered, and I'm not sure exactly what you've shown.
The original flasher (relay) unit has 3 connections ... and the wiring should have a block connector to fit this. A green wire that connects to the frame "Earth", a black wire that's the positive feed from the ignition switch, and a grey wire that runs to the indicator switch on the handlebar. Connecting the black and grey wires together should mean that the indicators will work normally (with the ignition on), although they'll not flash. If they don't you'll need to check wiring to each of the indicator lights, and the handlebar switch. If they do work, the fault lies with the flasher unit However, LED lamps are polarity sensitive, so must be connected the correct way round i.e.positive to positive and negative to negative .... and also they draw a much smaller current than conventional bulbs, which upsets flasher units. As mentioned above, you'll normally need to use a resistor with each LED lamp.
Could I suggest, therefore, that you firstly reconnect the original lamps and make sure they work correctly. Only when that's OK, will you be able to replace each lamp with an LED equivalent, plus the correct resistor, ensuring the correct polarity is used , and all should be well.

#6 ·
THanks for the informative post hotbulb. I've uploaded another photo that shows the wires going to the relay. They match your description. and extension has been added to the black and grey wire, that is all. https://1drv.ms/i/s!Ait-lB4NLrGxnrhhl0GiJhw6XDsY-Q..

I've tried every wich way and I can't get it to work. What ever I do with the led lamps they all flash or all lit without flashing no matter if I indicate left or right. Even with resistors, they don't do anything.. Another thing I noticed is that the little indicationlamp on the panel (next to head light and oil and what not) does not blink at all even though the lamps are blinking. Any thoughts on this?

#7 ·
Experiments continue. I tryed what you said and the old lights work as they should with the old relay. When changeing back I found out that by keeping 2 of the older rear lights on with bulbs the front led lamps work as they should and the indicator on the panel also blink as it should. But as soon as I replace the 2 rear lamps with the newer led lamps they all start flashing as hazard lights and the blinking on the panel stops as well. It's as if the older lamps force the leds to follow their pattern. Is this useful information for anyone?

#8 ·
It seems to me that one or more of the LED lights, and/or resistors, is faulty: all works correctly when the old, bulb, lights are used, which implies that the wiring is OK. It'll be a process of elimination to find which item (items?) is faulty.
One point, though: you've mentioned different LED relays - I assume you mean "flasher units" especially designed for use with LED flashers? If so, they should be used with only the LED lights.... no resistors. The resistors are intended to be used where LED lights are used with the old (bulb type) flasher unit.

#9 ·
Hotbulb: Thanks for helping. Yes, I'm using a relay/flasher unit designed for led lamps. I first bought a cheap one from ebay, when it didn't work I bought an expensive one from my bike shop next door but they behave the same way unfortunatley.

What is so strange is that all the LED lamps actually work as long as I keep one of the original lamps on the bike. As soon as replace all lamps to LED they enter hazard lamp mode no matter what direction I indicate.

Another strange this is that when using 4 bulbed lamps with the LED flasher unit nothing happens. Only in combination with LED lamps they work as they should.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.