Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
7,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a multibike policy to cover all 4 bikes fully comp incl commuting to a place of work.

I'm now in a position where I'm commuting in traffic & could possibly commute by bike.

I'm self employed covering varied jobs for other people aswell as doing my own stuff.

Now, insurance companies like to pigeon hole people, like commuting to one place of work or business use etc.
I don't use the bike for business use as such but may need to use it for commuting to several places of differing types of work on a regular basis (as I recall, they normally state commuting to a single place of work).
Would this be classed as just commuting or is it classed as business use (being self employed)?

So, I'm just after any pointers, advice or tips before I approach the brokers (CN).

Sat in a car in stationary traffic for upto 3hrs a day is doing my head in big time :(

Cheers, Phil

·
May Contain Nuts
2,350 Posts
I'm with CN and have business cover for my job which involves visiting different customers sites.

When I discussed it with them and explained that I was just carrying a laptop and tools and not actually using the bike for reward they said I needed the personal business cover as I was travelling to different sites (and could be more than one site a day)

It didn't add much the the price though to be honest

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers Ian, been on hold for 40 minutes to CN.....

I guess business cover will cover more potential scenarios, if they ever answer the phone that is!

Phil

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
That is business use. Commuting is to one place of work only. Even if you were splitting between offices you'd need business use.

·
Registered
7,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thankyou for the replies.
A quick call to CN and all sorted for a smidge over 30quid (probably 25 of that is admin?) for buisness use & commuting to various places of work
It's good to know everything has suitable cover should the worst happen.

£32 to get me out of the car & an average 2 1/2hr commute, and onto 2 wheels & an hour commute tops.
Bargain :)
Just need to work out how to strap all my tools to the bike!

Keep an eye out for monsoon like weather from tomorrow morning.

Cheers Phil

·
Registered
7,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
FFS.....

So, been using the bike for the last 2 days, get the documents.

Included; commuting to 1 place of work.

Excluded; any kind of business use.

Why is nothing ever simple. Useless pr!cks.

·
Registered
7,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How come no two people from an insurance company can give the same answer.

1st; policy has been ammended.
2nd; complaint & I'm told my underwriters don't cover business use on my policy but ''will try to add as a goodwill gesture''. Will call me back later confirming.
They never.
3rd; I phoned them, another representitive said I was covered but the wording/description was wrong, he'd ammend and email me updated docs.
Updated docs arrived; including commuting to one place of business, excluded; use for business.
4th; the underwriter doesn't cover business use but will try to add it as a goodwill gesture, we'll put a complaint in and call you back....

Where is the banging your head against a brick wall icon

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Sadly, I heard a very similar litany from another guy I know on another forum, guess who his cover was with...?

·
Registered
7,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had a poor experience with CN quite a few years ago, having said that, they have been great for the last few years, well, up until now that is.

All sorted I hope anyway, business use added as goodwill, I'll have to find a different policy next time round though.
It only took 5 conversations with a couple of them heading off to consult with team leaders, 2 sets of incorrect documents, 4 days and about three hours of my time to get right!

They want us to be upfront and honest to ensure suitable cover. I don't think accurate advice is too much to ask in return.

Phil

·
Registered
7,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And so it starts again.
Renewal premium with business use: premium has gone up circa £230 to £430 and excess gone from £100 (I think) to £1000!

Thats with 1 bike less on the policy....

Phil

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
And so it starts again.
Renewal premium with business use: premium has gone up circa £230 to £430 and excess gone from £100 (I think) to £1000!

Thats with 1 bike less on the policy....

Phil
Those quotes from CN then, Phil? We do seem to have to spend a lot of time getting a sensible and competitive quote each year which considering most of use Brokers, is a real PITA. TBH, I think I will move the NX4 from my Multi-Bike policy and stick it on the NFU farm business policy and have the Vara as a standalone again. Price will be similar and there are advantages to NOT having a MB policy.

·
Registered
7,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Cheers guys, yep - the renewal is CN who I've now been with for a couple of years & been generally pleased with despite the odd muppet on their 'help line'

Several things seem to complicate matters somewhat:
Multibike, now with business use - however, as I'm self employed & do various & wildly differing jobs with no, giving job description is straight forward & often gets misinterpreted which doesn't help matters.
Maybe I should just say I'm a 'labourer' for simplicity?

I'll try bikesure (been nowhere close in the past with me too) as well as various others: cue endless hours on hold just to repeat the same info over & over :eek:

Phil

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Cheers guys, yep - the renewal is CN who I've now been with for a couple of years & been generally pleased with despite the odd muppet on their 'help line'

Maybe I should just say I'm a 'labourer' for simplicity?

I'll try bikesure (been nowhere close in the past with me too) as well as various others: cue endless hours on hold just to repeat the same info over & over :eek:

Phil
Not sure how "labourer" is treated in the risk stakes... :)

I could not make sense of Bikesure last year with a MB policy, but every call/quote is different! What grieves me a bit is when the quote varies yet is with same Insurer, but different Brokers.

·
Registered
7,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Not sure how "labourer" is treated in the risk stakes... :)
Steve, I don't think ''a bit of this, a bit of that & a bit of the other'' would sound any better!

Can't see what difference it makes as the bike would only get me to & from the job & not be used for it!!!
When I said I do work for a vehicke hire co, they said ''Oh, you work in the motor trade'' ffs....

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Steve, I don't think ''a bit of this, a bit of that & a bit of the other'' would sound any better!

Can't see what difference it makes as the bike would only get me to & from the job & not be used for it!!!
When I said I do work for a vehicke hire co, they said ''Oh, you work in the motor trade'' ffs....
Builder?
Engineer?
Electrician?
Plumber?

Primary building maintenance technician? ;-)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts