Honda XRV Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
7,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Just put down Farmer then....
But that only covers a bit of the work I do...!
Hi,

As mentioned, please feel free to give us a shout - If you wanted to PM me your details I can always arrange for our quotes team to give you a call?

Regards,
Jordan.
I had a quote from Bikesure earlier this morning, the representative I spoke to (Ash) was helpful & knowledgeable which makes a pleasant change :)
The quote was 'fairly' competitive.

Will fire you a pm, cheers Phil

·
Insurance Advisor
177 Posts
But that only covers a bit of the work I do...!

I had a quote from Bikesure earlier this morning, the representative I spoke to (Ash) was helpful & knowledgeable which makes a pleasant change :)
The quote was 'fairly' competitive.

Will fire you a pm, cheers Phil
Thanks Phil, feedback is always appreciated. I'll pass the message on to Ash.

Regards,
Jordan

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Phil,

What you have to bear in mind is that you are unusual (to say the least). What you need is much more than most bikers. It is much more than most bike insurance sales people get asked. It goes beyond the computer system. The problem is that many brokers have not trained their staff to pass on these requests to somone who can help. Carole Nash does have people who can deal with your situation but most staff do not know that.

I am with Bikesure, but dealing with their call centre or email staff is like dealing with children at kindergarten by comparison with the people who actually sorted out the policy I needed. I asked a question on renewal to I decided the best thing was to ignore the answer as it was so stupid. Contact Bikesure via PM or the MD by email.

·
Registered
7,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
What do you mean I'm unusual :)

I think the saying ''a company is only as good as it's staff'' is quite fitting in this context.

I have had several utter muppets with CN who gave me blatantly incorrect information, with tooing & froing, I was covered, I wasn't covered.... dreadful but had decent service previously.

Jordan from Bikesure helped me out, coupled with a fairly competitive quote means I'll probably go with them this year.

Cheers for all the input :)

Phil

·
Administrator
1,764 Posts
I don't understand why buying insurance has to be so fraught! Yes, there are some "unusual" cases, but most proposals fall into fairly standard categories, so why can't the pricing structure be more "regular" and open? It seems to be a complete lottery - why is it, for example, that when I was seeking car insurance a few years ago, to include my daughter (a learner at the time), I would be quoted a significantly different price each time, even when speaking to the same company using an already-agreed set of details?
Madness! And the cynic in me sees it as a conspiracy to coax excessive profits from the poor buying public.

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
And the cynic in me sees it as a conspiracy to coax excessive profits from the poor buying public.
Well apart from the"excessive" part, that is their business model!

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
I don't understand why buying insurance has to be so fraught! Yes, there are some "unusual" cases, but most proposals fall into fairly standard categories, so why can't the pricing structure be more "regular" and open? It seems to be a complete lottery - why is it, for example, that when I was seeking car insurance a few years ago, to include my daughter (a learner at the time), I would be quoted a significantly different price each time, even when speaking to the same company using an already-agreed set of details?
Madness! And the cynic in me sees it as a conspiracy to coax excessive profits from the poor buying public.
Bit of a crap video but here's my explanation of why insurance is like baked beans. You might as well moan that beans sell at different prices in different shops.
Why motorcycle insurance is like baked beans - YouTube

There's actually more on this, if you prefer to read than watch crap videos.
Why buying motorcycle insurance is like buying baked beans | the-zebra.com

·
Administrator
1,764 Posts
Thanks, Chris... I see your point. But most of the time I'd like beans on their own (no added breakdown cover or legal expenses cover) ..... and I'd not expect to see the same size tin of Heinz ( other beans are available) baked beans on sale at four different prices in the same shop: if i did I'd be onto the Customer service desk complaining. So I fail to understand why the same company (broker) will quote different prices on different occasions for the same proposal details. And surely the idea of going through a broker (who's paid handsomely for his work. by both the punter and the insurance companies) is thatthe best deal i.e.cheapest deal, for the punter's particular circumstances and desires, is obtained. I accept that there will always be insurers/underwriters who will hate some types of risk, and offer exhorbitant quotes, and others who'll use some loss-leader tactics, but surely there's a central "core" who charge broadly the same for the same risk.
And, having lived through the various mis-selling scandals, the Lloyds Names business and so on, I've little sympathy for insurers who reckon motor insurance runs at a loss to them: underwriting insurance is always a gamble, but, as the Lloyds Names showed, if trading created a loss, they were always bailed out, either by having already "laid off" the possibility of a loss with other underwriters, or by us the taxpayers!

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
If you are an insurer you want a spread of risks, Say your pricing makes your really attractive to riders of Transalps, you will start to notice how you tend to have a lot of Transalps. You might have an alarm go off when you realise that 3% of the bikes you insure are Transalps. That is too big a risk, so you adjust your prices to make you less competitive for those bikes.

Alternatively, you have another trigger that says you insure five bike in a 500 metre radius in this postcode. If the river breaks its banks or there is a fire, or a terrorist attack, that is too great a risk, so you raise your price again.

You want a spread of bikes, of rider, of location, of uses, of mileages etc. Any gradual accumulation of any one risk requires a repricing. One large claim or lots of small claims might trigger a rethink.

So you can get a quote an hour later for the same bike in the same address with the same insurer and the same broker and get a different price. In that respect it is more like the futures trading market for baked beans.

If you were looking at airline tickets six months in advance, three months, one month, a week , a day, 12 hours...... you'd expect the price to change. If the flight was full the price would rise over time. If the flight was empty the price might come down to try to fill it. Hell, you could buy a packet of underpants from M&S and the next day find they had cut the price in a sale.

When buying something you want, people love price variations, either delighted to have got a bargain or happy to pay more because they want quality. Insurance is a compulsory purchase with no fun and no value attached to it and it has to be bought by a certain date, so we take a negative view of exactly the same price variations we love in other commodities.

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
21 - 33 of 33 Posts