Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone recommend an insurance company that will insure on the vin plate ?

My son has just got a bike from Germany and after some insurance before getting it registered.
He's already had a few silly quotes and even a few that said would insure it but won't let him ride it until it's registered,
So how the bloody hell can he get an mot ??????
The law states that he could ride it to an mot before it's registered.

So any ideas chap's?
Cheers Bob.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
This is the process...

You get the bike insured on the VIN number. But you can't ride it yet.

Then you book it in for an MOT. You can MOT on the VIN number, and are allowed to ride it to and from the MOT.

Once it's MOT'd take all the paperwork to a local DVLA office. They will give you a number plate authorization letter so you can get a number plate made up. You tax it at the same time. So once the number plate is on, you're on the road.

Then call insurance company and tell them what the number is. Job done.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
This is the process...

You get the bike insured on the VIN number. But you can't ride it yet.

Then you book it in for an MOT. You can MOT on the VIN number, and are allowed to ride it to and from the MOT.

Once it's MOT'd take all the paperwork to a local DVLA office. They will give you a number plate authorization letter so you can get a number plate made up. You tax it at the same time. So once the number plate is on, you're on the road.

Then call insurance company and tell them what the number is. Job done.
Ok thanks.
He did get a quote but they wanted over 300 quid to insure it ! (It being a DR 800 big)
He had a nearly new GS 1200 a year ago before his 25th birthday and paid less than 100 quid for the same cover,so was just wondering why the price hike ?

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Peter James added a Honda CT90 to my multibike classic policy no problem using the VIN. The DR if 1995 or older would be classified as a classic, my Harley 1995 Ultra is on the policy, some classic insurers will take 15 year & older.

·
Stone Crazy
5,304 Posts
not quite sure waht the new procedure is , but the local reg offices have been closed , i think they have done away with the inspection or you have to take it to a DVSA LGV test station for DVSA to inspect , i will look this up ,
https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-approval

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
I've got to do this with an NX650. It can only be now done by sending a V55/5 Application and relevant doc's + payments to DVLA............ I've got everything,just need to synchronise the insurance with everything else. Note to self : Must pull finger out ! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I registered my BSA A7 last year, got a dating certificate via the VMCC (there are other sources-owners clubs etc). They needed pictures of the machine and of the engine & frame number (VIN) and rubbings of the numbers if possible. They will do a search and if satisfactory will send a dating certificate, this takes some weeks. These were included in the pack sent to DVLA, you need insurance then as the bike is then registered on the road. You will need a NOVA or explain why you have not got one, the BSA was a UK bike and I have one for the CT90 when it is ready to be registered.
the VMCC search form (last year)also gives instructions on completion of V55/5 form is View attachment Statement of search form 2014.pdf
You can get a bike MOTd without insurance by trailing it to the test centre instead of riding it, has to be taken off the trailer for the test obviously. The old MOT system could cope with a VIN assume the new system can, not tried it, that's next year with the CR90

1 - 9 of 9 Posts