Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you use an intercom? what type ? Which is the best system?
Rider-passenger bike to bike, mp3, gps and so on...

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Autocom Avi-Pro Kit 300. It's the dog's dangleys.

You can plug around 8 different things into it. When I'm on a long trip I have the GPS, Music player, and phone plugged in. With the wife on the back I can use any of the other connections to connect another music player, or her phone in.

Audio quality is superb over the intercom, and people flatly refuse to believe I'm on the bike when I talk on the phone.

The great thing about this particular model is the ambient noise sensor. When the noise level increases, the unit turns all the volumes up automatically.

It's superb. Buy one, you'll not regret it.

·
Registered
173 Posts
hello cie, this does sound like the dogs dangles, how much for it, where to get it, and is it easy to fit. thanks in advance.

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts
another vote for the autocom very good kit:cool:

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Well, the website is http://www.autocom.co.uk/ but you can't buy from them direct. On the site there is a list of suppliers.

Best thing to do is download the brochure, which has all the prices, find a supplier near you and they'll order everything. Turn around time is excellent. I ordered some things on Monday and they arrived at the dealer the next day. :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Another vote for autocom.
If you do go down that route and have a GPS you want to connect to it make sure you get the proper connection lead and a ground loop isolater otherwise you'll get horrible interference ( I did anyway, trying to save a few pennies).
There are a few of us who bought autocom kit and kenwood 2 way radios so when we go out we can chat away, take the piss out of each other and point out things others might of missed. Top Kit.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
hello cie, this does sound like the dogs dangles, how much for it, where to get it, and is it easy to fit. thanks in advance.
When I was at South Wales Superbikes, Newport recently they had either an Autocom or Starcom on display (can't remember which).

BTW, there's a page on intercomms and headsets in the Wiki that needs more information. If anybody has facts/material/opinions/experience, either edit the pages yourself or e-mail me and I'll add it.

dwfarthing AT hotmail.com (replace the AT with @!)

·
Ex Vara Rider
446 Posts
Just to be different I recommend the Starcom1 Advance. Flawless at any speed, auto volume, plug in anything you want. Cheaper than Autocom but with the same performance.

On the radio side of things Kenwood gets my vote, I have the the old TK3101 and it's rock solid. Also Midland G7's which are quite difficult to get hold of now but great performance and if you search the internet you can de-solder a connection to boost the range way beyond the standard 5km's.

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
I have Starcom. Can't fault it. Choose not to have the annoying GPS lady plugged in but the wire's there if I ever change my mind. Phone connects via Bluetooth too if you buy the extra bit. Crystal clear phone, music pillion, everything.
Give them a call and tell them you heard about it hear and that I said they promised us a 5% discount.

·
Premium Member
9,523 Posts
Well, the website is http://www.autocom.co.uk/ but you can't buy from them direct. On the site there is a list of suppliers.

Best thing to do is download the brochure, which has all the prices, find a supplier near you and they'll order everything. Turn around time is excellent. I ordered some things on Monday and they arrived at the dealer the next day. :)
And be very very careful which supplier you choose, Landovery Electronics are STILL accepting web payments and they've gone bankrupt. They've had some of my money, only £35, and they are uncontactable. Autocom have removed them from the approved suppliers list but they are still selling. Autocom have a big notice on their web page home page in the top right hand corner warning you.

Chainspeed are highly recommended by me. Speak to Sam the owner.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i ordered a starcom1 advance kit for rider-passenger and bike to bike !
Really looking forward to try it out!!

·
SOTGATT
3,522 Posts
I've just ordered a £10 cheapy off ebay....I know it'll be tosh but I was curious.

I'll tell you HOW bad when I test it.

My daughters appointed herself pillion so I had to try it:confused4:

·
SOTGATT
3,522 Posts
IT WORKS......Tronic....atenners worth.....flimsy and wont last long but a good way to test the concept....

Very useful!!!!!

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have been using my Autocom 'active rider' system for two years now and it is simply the dogs nuts, the only thing I find that isn't good is the expansion kit for adding GPS and phone, it attenuates the phone volume far to low and I can't here the phone on the move at all, when I remove it and plug the phone directly into the Autocom all is Fine, I am now using either the GPS on its own or the phone on its own. Music is also fantastic as is the rider to passinger, I also use a Cobra 525 PMR for Bike to bike and the PTT handlebar switch (very useful if you find it dificult to set up the VOX. I have had some incompatibility problems with some other PMR radios when out with the lads on their bikes, seems that some Kenwood PMR radio's don't quite work with the Cobra's, I am looking for a Kenwood TK 3201 but I find the little Cobra's fine for most runs out.

In general, I find my system Brill, when you have to do a long motorway run, at night, with a good sound track ringing in your ears the miles melt away no problem. I recently did a non stop run from my home in Cumbria England to a relatives house 250 miles away at night in winter (yes it was raining hard all the way and just 2 degrees) and the trip flew by in no time. FANTASTIC

·
Tropical Member
2,037 Posts
Me too, excellent, have an old one (the intercom, the intercom), great even after all these years!

·
Tropical Member
2,037 Posts
Me too, excellent, have an old one (the intercom, the intercom), great even after all these years!:thumbleft:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Has anyone tried the backchat system, the one with no electrical components, must just work on a voice pipe. I need to get some sort of intercom but a bit short on funds.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Under the seat, leads go under the tank. I bring my helmet socket out under the air filter cover. Seems the best place to put it if you need/want to stand with it connected.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts