Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yesterday's Gadget Show included a "wild challenge" on hand-held, hiker GPS devices. The Satmap Active 10 (£279.99) comes with Ordnance Survey maps and proved to be the easiest to use.

Obviously not designed for use on motorbikes, but could be useful for off-road navigation if you can mount it suitably.

BTW, as a bit of a Garmin fan (I know... :() the Garmin Colorado was hopeless.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Yeah I saw that, looked good ! I'm going to ask RUSH (member) about it next time I see him as he seems to be right on the case with "tweaked" GPS. (judging by what I saw him using on our excursion into the chiltern hills last time)Iv'e got a tom tom rider,but I would love one that does all that fancy stuff like showing streams/footpaths/terrain/route recall etc. :thumbup: :)

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
OS do digimaps compatible with GPSs, £50 per region

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, it's not clear what map(s) come with the device, if any. Satmap advertises county maps at 1:50,000 scale at only £29.99 each. If you want an entire region at 1:50,000 scale it will cost £59.99. But the price of maps at 1:25,000 vary significantly for each county; some can be quite pricey.

The device itself is apparently light, fast and easy to use. See the review at Pocket GPS World.

·
Geeking it out!
1,061 Posts
Ah GPS stuff ;);)

I saw the review on the Gadget show and at first impression the Satmap it looks a good device. I think the main limitation is the price of the mapping, more to do with the fact they have to pay shed loads to Ordinance Survey for the privilege of using their great maps. A bike mount is available (push-bike but should fit) and the device is waterproof. It appears to only come with a UK road basemap out of the box. According to the review on the link from Dee Duble Yuh, a 50 hour battery life!! If I didn’t have my current system with all it's maps I would give this a serious look.

Also worth a look is the Road Angel 7000 this is a car / bike / handheld SatNav which runs Memory map.

I’m using Memory Map which will run on most Windows mobile PDA’s (I’m using it on a Mio DigiWalker p550 which has built in GPS receiver) With memory map depending on what maps you have purchased you can show aerial views, 1:25k, 1:50k Aero charts etc. Like the Navmap, your position is shown on the displayed map. However the maps can still work out quite expensive if purchased.

I think MemoryMap is the better application and far more universal, the main part runs on your PC, from here you download the smaller application onto your PDA. You can then send just the maps you need / want to the device. In the master application you can import .GPX files from the web, create routes, POI and send these to the mobile device too or export in .GPX and other formats for use by others. You can even do 3D fly throughs on the PC of your intended route or journey you have just made.

However using a PDA as a GPS does have it’s own set of problems. Most you will need to use the stylus to operate. PDA’s usually have quite a short battery life, I find around 2.5 hours when using hand held, although this can be extended using an external battery pack. On the bike this isn’t such a problem as I run off the aux. power socket. I find the O/S a bit clonky, sometimes the device won’t start so I have to do a reset, this then resets all my power and backlight settings to default. (this maybe just my device though) As the PDA isn’t waterproof I slip it in a small Lidl £2.99 tank bag, a better housing would be in an Otterbox.

Interestedly I’m just testing out the Garmin Colorado 300 at work which the gadget show slated:( The maps which are extra (Garmin Topo) are nowhere near as good as the Ordinance Survey offering, (but his is down to licensing issues with the Ordinance Survey, but you do get the whole of the UK for around £80) Also if you already have Mapsource with City Navigator, Garmin allow you to install the maps on two devices, so I’ve got City Navigator 8, which came with my Garmin 2610 running in SatNav mode on the Colorado (As far as I can tell with no voice instructions though) I feel the Gadget show review misrepresented the device. They made out the batteries didn’t even last long enough to set all the coordinated for the waypoints into it. Well I’ve been playing almost constantly with one since yesterday and I’ve just had to replace the two AA batteries, after I guess 8-12 hours of use. They also made out the GPS receiver wasn't up to much, as yet I haven't encountered any problems, it finds a fix far faster than either my PDA of Garmin 2610.

However if I was to replace my current system it would be with something that displayed OS mapping again. The PDA came into it’s own the other week when we climbed Kinder Scout in the Peak District, once we got to the top visibility was down to around 50 meters, navigating the 6 km walk across the top no problem. We knew exactly where we were, if we were deviation from the sometimes no existent path...then I managed to unplug the external battery pack so I thought the battery's had gone flat…PANIC....what, have use a map and compass?:D

Sorry I've rambled on here...........

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Ah GPS stuff ;);)

I saw the review on the Gadget show and at first impression the Satmap it looks a good device. I think the main limitation is the price of the mapping, more to do with the fact they have to pay shed loads to Ordinance Survey for the privilege of using their great maps. A bike mount is available (push-bike but should fit) and the device is waterproof. It appears to only come with a UK road basemap out of the box. According to the review on the link from Dee Duble Yuh, a 50 hour battery life!! If I didn’t have my current system with all it's maps I would give this a serious look.

Also worth a look is the Road Angel 7000 this is a car / bike / handheld SatNav which runs Memory map.

I’m using Memory Map which will run on most Windows mobile PDA’s (I’m using it on a Mio DigiWalker p550 which has built in GPS receiver) With memory map depending on what maps you have purchased you can show aerial views, 1:25k, 1:50k Aero charts etc. Like the Navmap, your position is shown on the displayed map. However the maps can still work out quite expensive if purchased.

I think MemoryMap is the better application and far more universal, the main part runs on your PC, from here you download the smaller application onto your PDA. You can then send just the maps you need / want to the device. In the master application you can import .GPX files from the web, create routes, POI and send these to the mobile device too or export in .GPX and other formats for use by others. You can even do 3D fly throughs on the PC of your intended route or journey you have just made.

However using a PDA as a GPS does have it’s own set of problems. Most you will need to use the stylus to operate. PDA’s usually have quite a short battery life, I find around 2.5 hours when using hand held, although this can be extended using an external battery pack. On the bike this isn’t such a problem as I run off the aux. power socket. I find the O/S a bit clonky, sometimes the device won’t start so I have to do a reset, this then resets all my power and backlight settings to default. (this maybe just my device though) As the PDA isn’t waterproof I slip it in a small Lidl £2.99 tank bag, a better housing would be in an Otterbox.

Interestedly I’m just testing out the Garmin Colorado 300 at work which the gadget show slated:( The maps which are extra (Garmin Topo) are nowhere near as good as the Ordinance Survey offering, (but his is down to licensing issues with the Ordinance Survey, but you do get the whole of the UK for around £80) Also if you already have Mapsource with City Navigator, Garmin allow you to install the maps on two devices, so I’ve got City Navigator 8, which came with my Garmin 2610 running in SatNav mode on the Colorado (As far as I can tell with no voice instructions though) I feel the Gadget show review misrepresented the device. They made out the batteries didn’t even last long enough to set all the coordinated for the waypoints into it. Well I’ve been playing almost constantly with one since yesterday and I’ve just had to replace the two AA batteries, after I guess 8-12 hours of use. They also made out the GPS receiver wasn't up to much, as yet I haven't encountered any problems, it finds a fix far faster than either my PDA of Garmin 2610.

However if I was to replace my current system it would be with something that displayed OS mapping again. The PDA came into it’s own the other week when we climbed Kinder Scout in the Peak District, once we got to the top visibility was down to around 50 meters, navigating the 6 km walk across the top no problem. We knew exactly where we were, if we were deviation from the sometimes no existent path...then I managed to unplug the external battery pack so I thought the battery's had gone flat…PANIC....what, have use a map and compass?:D

Sorry I've rambled on here...........
No further questions for the defendant your honor ! :D:D:D:D

·
Kymmy accepts no responsibility for this blondes c
2,075 Posts
yep another vote for the memory map based systems, slowly the map database is growing and now covers most of europe (last check were at 300+ maps now on our system!) add in the topo maps plus the IGN/michelins and you shouldnt get lost!...

as far gadgets and gismos i have been watching the development of the tripy system, the latest version was ment to be used on test by all the chase crews on the dakar but as that went tits up looks like it wont get a big test till end of the year.... for comp use i run old style garmin 152/182s that the match up too the ERTL units that are compulsory on most FIA/FIM events, extreamly basic with just compass and co'ords and no ground mapping at all.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
russh. You gotta get some of this into the Wiki, dude! :thumbright:

·
Geeking it out!
1,061 Posts
russh. You gotta get some of this into the Wiki, dude! :thumbright:

Will do, I will be evaluation the Garmin next week along with the Memorymap PDA in a real world environment, albeit on push-bike and foot but attempting to follow some trails, and will report back.

Also I'm messing around with taking pics. on a digital camera, uploading these along with a GPX export of the track from a GPS into some Freeware software which then tags the .jpg images with the co-ordinates of where the picture was taken based on the time stamp. These can then be view along with the track in a program like Google Earth. Or I think Flickr and Picassa albums. Like this one, nothing to do with me but of a Transalp, you can zoom in on the map to the right.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts