Honda XRV Forum banner

21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Dude, KCCO!:rolleyes:

I apologied in advance since It's not about a Facet pump but if you read what I wrote you'll see that my question was related to the topic since my pump is an exact copy of the Facet pump and therefore I asked if it's a normal construction that the pump is so noisy. I might be to used to other forums were it's ok to ask related questions in an existing thread instead of creating new threads that will only take server space. Besides, I searched and I found a lot of threads but noone that gave me any answers to my question.

If I make a mistake in this forum I'd appreciate if mods let me know.

//Phille
I'm not one of the Mods, but I see nothing wrong with your threads!
One of the nice things with this forum was the way some members always managed to run astray and go off topic.
Usually it all ended with funny comments from everyone involved.

Save your apologizes for another day when You perhaps need them, and keep writing on the forum!

/Kjell

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Hi, sorry if I'm hijacking this Facet pump thread with a question that's not Facet pump related [edit: but related to noisy Facet pump copy]

So, my main question, is there any relay that gives power to the pump when the engine is on, and why is it still giving power to the pump even if the engine isn't on?
/Phille:)
To answer your question...yes. It's the fuel cut-off relay. Also tied into that circuit is the ICU. It's all clear if you have the Haynes Manual wiring diagram.
Check that the FCR has not been jumpered or hotwired due to a failure...possibly by the previous owner. Their are 3 wires to the FCR. You can check them for continuity.
red/blue to the pump...blue/yellow to the ICU and red/black to the kill switch via circuit 'D' in the fuse box.

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
No, not at all. What´s the point in killing a perfectly well working thread on a different topic? Is your "create a new thread" button broke or the search function out of order?
Why don't you wind your neck in. !!!!!!

The bloke was asking a question that he couldn't find any help with

Reactions: paulc

·
Registered
10 Posts
To answer your question...yes. It's the fuel cut-off relay. Also tied into that circuit is the ICU. It's all clear if you have the Haynes Manual wiring diagram.
Check that the FCR has not been jumpered or hotwired due to a failure...possibly by the previous owner. Their are 3 wires to the FCR. You can check them for continuity.
red/blue to the pump...blue/yellow to the ICU and red/black to the kill switch via circuit 'D' in the fuse box.
Thanks a lot! I also read this as an answer that it's not supposed to do this when I kill the engine?

I used a multimeter and all three wires to the relay is connected to the ICU, pump and the kill switch as the wiring diagram shows. The relay seems to be a solid type that I'm unable to open to check for problems. Is the relay suppose to "click" when it gives a signal to the pump because I cant feel anything either when I push the start button and the pump starts, when I use the kill switch or when i turn of the ignition (only way to stop pump!)? I'm a bit unsure if it's safe to use this pump when it acts like this, maybe I should just switch back to the original pump?
I dont think the previous owner had done anything to the wiring but I cant be sure since Im the third owner and the guy I bought it from bought it from the first owner 12 years ago.

Thanks, Phille

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts

dear sir

597 pumps sold since 2008

595 happy customers this pump has been fitted to our own Africa twins since 2005 ......... CASE CLOSED !!!!!!!!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hi Phille,
Your problem intrigued me, so I dug out my Haynes manual and looked at the wiring diagram and read the pump fault diagnosis text. There are two places I would check for voltage in
two modes:
1. With only the ignition switch on (and kill switch in the run position) there should not be a battery level voltage on the wire from the ICU to the relay - until you crank the engine.
2. If step 1 has a voltage level as soon as the ignition switch is turned on then there is something wrong with the operation of the ICU.
3. If step 1 works as described, then check the voltage on the relay to pump wire, it should behave in the same way.
4. If you are seeing a voltage only on the relay to pump wire (no engine cranking) then I would suspect the relay to be shorted - possibly the contacts welded closed if mechanical.
A disconnected continuity test would confirm this.
5. If you are seeing a voltage on both wires (again no engine cranking) try disconnecting only the wire from the ICU and seeing if the relay turns off i.e. no voltage relay to pump, to eliminate the embarrassment & frustration of a double fault!!

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Lets face it Facet pumps have been around for years. Ive been using them in different forms RED TOP, GOLD TOP and I run a solid state one on my MK2 RS 2000 for 5 years using 48 DCOE,s with no problems at all.

The only time it was noisy is when it ran out of fuel and that's the same as my AT when I run out off fuel it starts ticking switch it over to reserve and its whisper quite again. :thumbup:

·
Space Emperor
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
dear sir

595 happy customers this pump has been fitted to our own Africa twins since 2005 ......... CASE CLOSED !!!!!!!!
What a dumb remark. Why would you ignore all the people who have trouble with these pumps? Do you feel that such a remark helps in any way? And why would you not want to discuss the possibility that there are models better suited for our needs? Even Facet says we're using the wrong model. Yeah, silly me ... let's close the case, now that you already have people's money :thumbup: Heaven forbid people should find out that they could have gotten a pump more suited for their needs, and perhaps even one that doesn't sound like it's about to quit at any moment. Great attitude, thanks!

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts
What a dumb remark. Why would you ignore all the people who have trouble with these pumps? Do you feel that such a remark helps in any way? And why would you not want to discuss the possibility that there are models better suited for our needs? Even Facet says we're using the wrong model. Yeah, silly me ... let's close the case, now that you already have people's money :thumbup: Heaven forbid people should find out that they could have gotten a pump more suited for their needs, and perhaps even one that doesn't sound like it's about to quit at any moment. Great attitude, thanks!
Oh Dear God !!!!! Dumb Remark my septic ass ,, you sir strike me as somebody who is having an Axe to Grind did we force you to buy this pump NO!!!!!

at any point have we said THIS IS THE CORRECT PUMP HONDA GET A HARD ON WHEN THEY SEE THIS PUMP NO !!!!!!

This is merely the pump a tonne of people were using and were Happy with the Results but were having trouble laying their hands on , we strived to be a source for this pump and have many many happy customers except you and one other.

now kindly take your Axe and bugger off :clown::clown::clown::clown::clown:

thats my customer relations role ****ed :toothy10::toothy10::toothy10::toothy10::toothy10::toothy10::toothy10:

·
Registered
10,746 Posts
Oh Dear God !!!!! Dumb Remark my septic ass ,, you sir strike me as somebody who is having an Axe to Grind did we force you to buy this pump NO!!!!!

at any point have we said THIS IS THE CORRECT PUMP HONDA GET A HARD ON WHEN THEY SEE THIS PUMP NO !!!!!!

This is merely the pump a tonne of people were using and were Happy with the Results but were having trouble laying their hands on , we strived to be a source for this pump and have many many happy customers except you and one other.

thats my customer relations role ****ed :toothy10::toothy10::toothy10::toothy10::toothy10::toothy10::toothy10:
I am glad the elocution lessons i gave you paid off:toothy10::toothy10:

·
Space Emperor
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #33

You may think whatever you like, sir, but the fact remains that a lot of people are having issues with the pump they have been sold, and with this thread we're discussing those issues. If you feel it's not a problem that a bunch of people are dissatisfied with a product they bought from you, then by all means go ahead and 'close the case' by not participating any further.

I have no axes to grind with anyone here, but I do start to question things, when the manufacturer tells me directly that the product is way out of spec for the application it's sold for. Wouldn't it be better for your customers if you engaged with Facet to find the best suitable product, instead of ignoring the problem?

But no, you didn't make any such claims, I know, and I know many people are perfectly happy with the pump. (and I didn't ask for my money back, did I?) I'm also not trying to dent your pristine reputation in any way (you seem to be doing that just fine with your 2 replies here) but you are the one who sold the product, so maybe that's why your company name was mentioned?

Anyway, as mentioned earlier, I bought the 40178 model, but didn't install it yet. I'm hoping to find time this weekend, and will report back on my findings.

·
Registered
341 Posts
dear sir

In the light of this new information, I am not going to fit the facet emergency spare I bought from Rugged Roads. I would actually like to return it if that's possible, although I have no big hopes of that happening after seeing what's going on in this thread.

·
Space Emperor
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
This weekend I fitted the 40178. It wasn't really a straight fit, as the rubber kinda slided back a bit, and couldn't grip the fangs fully. Had to secure it with a few strips.

I twisted the pump inside the rubber, so that it's mounted at an angle, flowing upwards, as Facet recommends. As far as I recall, they didn't have this recommendation when I got the 40105 from Rugged Roads 3-4 years ago.

I've only had a 20-25km drive to work this morning, and it actually ran super smooth. I have no idea if the new pump made a difference, because I had a full tank, so I will have to wait and see. At least there was no clattering, which was a great feeling :thumbleft:

The pump did seem very hot when I arrived at work, but it's near 30 degrees here already, so maybe that's to be expected. I can't really remember if the old pump felt that hot to the touch ... I have a feeling that the rubber will be quite counterproductive when it comes to heat dissipation. We'll see how it fares in 40 degrees in a few months.

I will report back after some more testing, but so far so good!

photo 2.jpg
photo 3.jpg
efwh.jpg

As you can see, I made the classic mistake of forgetting to remove the fuel tap before yanking the tank off. It broke off, of course! Grrrrrrrr!

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
dear sir

Simply not true is that statement, there are loads of threads on here with people worried and concerned about irregular noises coming from pumps they've fitted and also the fitment of the pumps have raised issues in some circumstances.

I still don't understand why people would fit these things in the first place not knowing what the flow rate was on the items they've fitted against the flow rate of the original one that comes with there bikes especially as the genuine pumps going wrong so often.

Infact they go wrong so often that in the last 20years of motorcycling i've needed to fit 0 fuel pumps to any bike and if it did go wrong i would not hesitate to buy a proper one from Honda, each to there own i suppose

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
T

I twisted the pump inside the rubber, so that it's mounted at an angle, flowing upwards, as Facet recommends. As far as I recall, they didn't have this recommendation when I got the 40105 from Rugged Roads 3-4 years ago.
!
Following is cut n' pasted from Facet. Providing it's not mounted in a nose down position (possible vapour lock) the horizontal position should not be detrimental to
the operation. Mine has been horizontal with a slight nose up for 9 years with no problems.

[h=2]How should the Facet universal pumps be mounted?[/h]The fuel pump should be mounted with the outlet above the inlet. This will help with eliminate vapor lock issues. Never located the pump so the outlet is below the inlet. Horizontal mounting will not effect fuel delivery performance.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Simply not true is that statement, there are loads of threads on here with people worried and concerned about irregular noises coming from pumps they've fitted and also the fitment of the pumps have raised issues in some circumstances.

I still don't understand why people would fit these things in the first place not knowing what the flow rate was on the items they've fitted against the flow rate of the original one that comes with there bikes especially as the genuine pumps going wrong so often.

Infact they go wrong so often that in the last 20years of motorcycling i've needed to fit 0 fuel pumps to any bike and if it did go wrong i would not hesitate to buy a proper one from Honda, each to their own i suppose

You summed it up perfectly. We have choices and it seems many different pumps will work on our bikes. With proper installation I bet you could make a breast pump work.
:D

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Mine's been fine since 2007 and about 40,000 miles but I would never say that means no-one will ever have any problems with theirs, either failure or not performing as it should...

·
Space Emperor
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #40 (Edited)
Following is cut n' pasted from Facet. Providing it's not mounted in a nose down position (possible vapour lock) the horizontal position should not be detrimental to
the operation. Mine has been horizontal with a slight nose up for 9 years with no problems.

[/FONT][/COLOR]
My previous pump was mounted horisontally, so this time I thought I'd try to increase the angle to avoid losing prime ...

In the printed instructions that came with the pump, it actually says it should point upwards at a 45 degree angle

21 - 40 of 66 Posts