Honda XRV Forum banner

41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
skeptical old git
1,734 Posts
The 40105 is rated for 30gph and you only need about 3gph...
Paul Puleo
National Sales Manager
Motor Components, LLC
Hmmm. Assuming he was talking about US gallons (I'm talking Imperial gallons) he's suggesting you should use a pump that provides about 2.4gph. On the motorway you could easily be approaching 2gph.

That seems way too close to the mark to me.

Also, though you may typically get 45-50mpg, you could use at least twice that much fuel at times. You wouldn't want to be going up a hill, two up, into a headwind using (guesses...) 5gph and have a pump rated at half that.

Put it another way, if you had a full tank (~5 gallons) and disconnected the fuel hose, how long would the it take for the fuel to drain out? If it drained in under 2 hours, then a gravity feed alone moves fuel faster than that pump :)

Another data point, a seller on ebay claims that the Felco pump they sell, rated at 50-55l per hour (or 11-12gph) is the same as the OE pump. I don't know if that's true, but it seems more credible than the claim that 2.4gph is the right fitment.

So it seems like the 40105 is higher pressure than you need, but probably something like 3 times too high rather than 10 times?

·
Registered
7,685 Posts
According to Haynes, the oe pump should flow a minimum of 700cc/min. Not sure how this would compare to the oe AT pump.
I would have thought running pressure would be more important than output, lets face it, a pumps output should ALWAYS be higher than maximum requirement.

Phil

sent from my 'phone

·
Registered
341 Posts
You can easily use google to convert flow rates. Try googling: 700 cubic centimeters per minute in imperial gallons per hour

Answer: 9.23870461 Imperial gallons per hour

Edit: You can use google to convert all kinds of crazy stuff. The general syntax is: [amount] [unit1] per [unit2] in [unit3] per [unit4]
You can also modify this by prefixing one of the units with a constant. For example, ever wonder how many lightyears you will travel if you drive constantly at 80 kilometers per hour for 10000 years? No problem, just google: 80 kilometers per hour in lightyears per 10000 year :)

(the answer is 0.000741253545 light years per (10 000 year))

·
skeptical old git
1,734 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
damn I feel smug now :thumbright:

and it only took 10 years of speculative back-of-a-fag-packet estimates to get one bang on :lol:
Yes, I think this is the first time I have seen anyone ballparking it to almost scientifically significant accurancy (;

·
Space Emperor
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I thought I'd make a quick update after riding about 4,000km on the new Facet 40178 pump. The bike has now recovered from the host of issues I was experiencing with the other pump, like vibration, running hot, loss of power, and generally just feeling totally unreliable. Of course, I no longer have the incredible annoying clatter either, that the old Facet pump had. The only thing I've really done to the bike, is change the pump from the40105 to the 40178, so I must assume something was wrong with the fuel delivery before. I had completely forgotten how the bike was supposed to run. Love it!! :thumbup:

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm going to revive this thread for a minute...

The 40105 (3 - 4.5 PSI, 30 GPH) is way too much pressure for these bikes. The 40177 (1 - 2 PSI, 7 GPH) will work fine. Remember: you only need enough pressure to overcome gravity, which at less than two feet of vertical distance, requires less than 1 PSI (plus a bit depending on fuel hose length).

I installed a 40105 at first. My idle was noticeably rougher and my mileage was much worse than normal. I never had noticeable fuel leakage, but it was clearly running too rich. I replaced it with a 40177 and never looked back. You can mess around with a fuel pressure regulator, as some others have, or just get the 40177.

Someone mentioned a KTM fuel pump. My notes say that the KTM 950 puts out 2.2 PSI and pumps 6.2 GPH. (Source: http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/another-dead-fuel-pump.234786/page-15#post-5340866).

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Interesting topic and thanx for all the information. After last year's breakdown of my AT in Morocco due to failed Reg/Rec i also had to change the OEM fuel Pump which had it contacts almost completely melt (probably due to too high voltage running through - i dont know if voltage is the correct word here, however the contacts of the pump have been changed one month prior to that) i also changed the fuel pump to FACET from Rugged Roads.
Since the i was pretty happy with it, no problems, no significant noise (at least none to worry me).
But there were two things i noticed after this change:
- worse mileage
- significantly more heat coming from the engine

I don't know to what these simptoms could be attributable. With a mechanic we checked the carbs, valve clearances, ignition timing and cooling system and it all seemed to be fine. I'm not saying it is down to FACET fuel pump (i dont think the new MOSFET Reg/Rec has much to do with this) but after reading all these threads it's starting to boggle my mind a little.

Of course my knowledge about mechanics is quite limited, but i'll be following this post with interest

·
skeptical old git
1,734 Posts
The fuel consumption on mine improved after fitting the Facet pump. I wasn't sure what was going on so never posted about it.

That's the trouble with forums, you're far more likely to read about problems than about the 99% of people who never had any hassle ;)

·
Registered
472 Posts
Icenian, you are right. If you have an issue then ppl come to forum to air it, but if all's well you rarely get a thread started saying, fuel pump fine, for example.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
I'm sorry i didn't want to (re)start a conspiracy theory here :)
as i said my FACET fuel pump is running fine and i'm satisfied with it.
I'm just being alert to any information that might explain the simptoms of my AT that i already kinda got used to and they all happened after changing Reg/Rec and Fuel pump.

So for some good news: I'm VERY happy with MOSFET Reg/Rec :)

·
Space Emperor
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
I've been running the 40178 for a few years now, and it's just humming along, like it should. For this or some other reason, the bike runs much smoother now, and all the issues I was experiencing with the bike has disappeared.

I can warmly recommend the 40178 ... AND the MOSFET reg/rec :)

·
Space Emperor
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
41 - 60 of 66 Posts