Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I`m new to this group but wondered if anyone could help me with a problem with my 1999 Dominator indicators please? The set on the right side work immediately when the switch is activated but the left hand side have a delay of between a couple of seconds - to not working at all ! I have changed the relay to no avail and checked the connections and sprayed the switch with WD40. When the weather is hot ( ha ha ) the indicators work without delay, when its cold the left side often never works ! Any ideas ? thanks

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Reactions: Tony P

·
Registered
264 Posts
I had the same when I first got my Dommie. I got a new flasher unit but the problem persisted. The solution was to take the switch unit off the bar, open it up and have a good clean inside. Mine was full of congealed fluff/grease/dirt and the brass contact for the indicator was dirty.

After cleaning, greasing and reassembly it was good as new and has never given me any more trouble.

You might get a similar short-term effect without dismantling by just blasting contact cleaner into the switch and wiggling the indicator toggle a bit, but the problem will come back after a while.

Removal and dismantling is really quite easy, nothing like the faff I was fearing when I started the job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
264 Posts
I should just add to my previous post: I’m no expert, everything I did to fix the problem was based on advice I received on this very forum when I posted my problem. So the knowledgeable people that responded to my post get all the credit!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Fitz, I`ve just removed the handlebar switch and given it a good spray with contact cleaner and although there is still a short 1-2 second delay it actually works now so I can indicate early to allow for that. I couldn`t split the switch though as I couldn`t work out how to free the cables into the switch to allow enough slack to undo the screws inside the switch itself. But I`m operational now which is at least safe for riding in the winter ! Thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts