Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I picked up a 96 AT yesterday.
The bike is in great condition, but its got a bizarre electrical issue I can't quite understand.

Most of the time, you turn the ignition on (lights come on etc), hit the starter button, and the bike starts.
Some of the time, you turn the ignition on (lights come on etc), hit the starter button, there is a clicking, and the electrics cut out.

The really odd thing is that if you then turn the key off, and then on again, the bike is still dead.
When its happened, I've just kept on kicking the stand up and down, re-engaging neutral, pulling the clutch, and turning the key on and off until the ignition electrics come back on. But I can't seem to figure out what changes when it chooses to come back on! i.e. I don't know what resets to make it come back on. There doesn't even seem to be a regular amount of time passing.

Can anyone think what might cause the electrics to cut out? If it were a neutral switch / side stand issue surely it just wouldn't start, rather than cutting out. Surely it where a faulty part, then it would never work, rather than being so patchy??

The bike had various electrical add ons, such as a chain oiler, heated grips, and a 12v charger.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Leo

·
Registered
96 Posts
The clicking when you push the starter will be the starter solenoid, you dont usually hear that because the bike would be starting.

This can happen when there are problems with your battery or battery main cables, check the connection on the battery, on the solenoid and the earth connection to the engine.

Thats were i would start

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The clicking when you push the starter will be the starter solenoid, you dont usually here that because the bike would be starting.

This can happen when there are problems with your battery or battery main cables, check the connection on the battery, on the solenoid and the earth connection to the engine.

Thats were i would start
Thanks for the suggestion- I'll take a look this afternoon.
I haven't taken it apart yet, are the earth points near the battery?

·
Ride the Sumo!
1,089 Posts
Earth. Check from the battery to the point on the frame. Mine went years ago and I used a 99p halfords car battery earth lead - still there!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all your help everyone.
I just had a quick look, and you're all right - it was a loose connection, but at the battery end.
I still don't really understand how it would have power in the circuit, and then loose power simply because I pressed the starter button (without moving the bike), but I guess it doesn't really matter!
Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
The poor conection will pass enouh current to light the low power lights but the volt drop across the poor connexion is so great when the starter circuit is included.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Everyone beat me to it. That is a classic Earth problem. The starter pulls so much amperage on start up that if the earths aren't tight you will get that problem. Where did you buy yours, off Ebay?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts