Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats the general consensus on progressive springs? or would i be better to fit intimators? fitting a new wilbers rear shock soon so want to do something with the front as well

·
Registered
326 Posts
On further thought...here is my list of front end upgrades from cheapest/minimal to the most expensive/biggest improvement:
  1. New fork oil. Will make a difference, but not a lot. The Africa Twin fork technology is from the mid-eighties...a lot has changed!
  2. Progressive springs and new fork oil. Progressive springs are nice and provide a bit smoother ride. Plus they lessen the chance of bottoming out.
  3. Intimidators and new fork oil. Intimidators use two-way valves to change the characteristics of the front end depending on which direction the force is coming from (bottom like a rough road or top like when braking hard). They significantly reduce front end dive. You will need lighter fork oil. Finally, they do retain the original look of the bike.
  4. KTM 950/990 Adventure WP front end with stiffer springs. The WP forks that KTM use are excellent (I use them on my RD07a). Find a used set and get stiffer springs (the Africa Twin is a heavier bike that what the original springs were designed for). Of course, you will need a KTM-compatible front wheel, brakes and fender.
  5. Boano Sachs front end. Custom made for the Africa Twin. Doesn't get any better. You can use your brakes and front wheel too. Beautiful stuff and race-tested.
Having used options 1-4, I can say that the Intimidators are the sweet spot for the majority of riders out there.

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Intiminators

Only use a progressive spring if the rear is progressive too

Reactions: serious3

·
Site Admin
2,420 Posts

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts

·
Site Admin
2,420 Posts
Reactions: serious3

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Good review Manuel

·
Registered
341 Posts
intimators
Intiminators
Intimidators
Intiminators
So which one is it? ;)

But here's what caught my eye:

Intimidators use two-way valves to change the characteristics of the front end depending on which direction the force is coming from (bottom like a rough road or top like when braking hard).
That's sounds odd, physics-wise. The fork can't really "feel" what direction the force is coming from, it can only feel the sum of forces which always adds up to either positive/negative (which means movement down or up) or zero (which means equilibrium and standstill). That's not to say the Intim(id)ators don't work, just that that can't possibly be an accurate description of how they work :)

·
Registered
326 Posts
Fair question. I posed the same to the CEO of Ricor when I ordered my first set. To paraphrase; the lighter fork oil moves through valves going each direction. If the force is coming from one direction, the valve is larger than from the other direction. That means you can have two different characteristics based on which direction the force is coming from (road or chassis).

Here's the white paper on the technology published on Ricor's site (PDF).

Interesting stuff huh?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Can you run the intiminators with progressive springs?

Another question, with progressive springs, do you still need the small spring on top?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Can you run the intiminators with progressive springs?
I asked Brian at Ricor that question as well. He said there is little to no difference if you use progressive springs with the the Intimidators.

Another question, with progressive springs, do you still need the small spring on top?
No, the progressive springs replace the small and large original Honda springs.

·
Registered
289 Posts
That's what I thought.

I already have progressives, considering intiminators since I'm reverting to the stock front end.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
That's what I thought.

I already have progressives, considering intiminators since I'm reverting to the stock front end.
I have Intiminators on my RD07A and forgot where I heard the source but your old clapped out OEM springs
are the preferred choice over progressive springs when installing Intiminators. Use a good quality
5W shock fluid and install them without the spacers provided.

Between my tall Wilburs shock that I run and the new Intiminators which lengthen the fork height
also....my Queen now has long lovely legs. I like it tall so I'm ok with that however it leans further over
when on the side stand now.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I've just checked the shipping costs on the Ricor website, $124 :eek:
Is anyone else thinking of buying a set and wants to potentially share postage costs?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts